• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Krylon 1613 - What's the best replacement?

DEL65

Of The Morons
While I swapping out my manifold, I'm going to detail and paint the engine compartment. Since I'm out of 1613, what is everyone using instead? Is it Eastwood "Underhood Black?" Thanks.

When the formula first changed(or whatever happend?), people were saying the stuff you can get from Grainger or other places like that was the same as the original 1613. I'm not sure if that is still the case, but I'm glad you are asking because I'm going to need to know that in the coming months.

+1 on Sems. Shag's engine compartment and underside is a Sems billboard. I'm currently painting KBMWRS's upcoming 22 gallon tank with it.

The SEM stuff is nice. :thu
But, on a budget, I've had really good luck with OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) Satin Black. It's probably Krylon 1613. . .

Robert

I should have read your post a little closer I didn't realize you were painting your engine compartment. I use PPG lacquer, which is concourse correct. Rich.

Hi thanks for the info. I search for SEM. If I can't find any, I'll probably try the OSH paint.

"DEL65" said:
Hi thanks for the info. I search for SEM. If I can't find any, I'll probably try the OSH paint.

From SEM's web site:

B-Z Auto Color - Modesto
1507 9th Street
Modesto, CA 95354
Phone: (209) 523-1099

Dan's Dist - Modesto
801 S. 9th Street
Modesto, CA 95351
Phone: (209) 521-8626

John,
How many cans are you after? I have a few cans of Krylon 1613 I'd be happy to sell to a fellow Kali boy. Or I can go out and get/ship to you some Sems. I'm picking up a few extra cans for myself today.

I just got back from picking up a can of 1613 Semi-Flat, not sure about the formula but it's the industrial paint and on the back it is Not for Retail.
I got it from a local somewhat large hardware/plumbing store,(Warren Pipe).

"Larry G" said:
I just got back from picking up a can of 1613 Semi-Flat, not sure about the formula but it's the industrial paint and on the back it is Not for Retail.
I got it from a local somewhat large hardware/plumbing store,(Warren Pipe).

Does that have the old style cap or the new one that is rounded off like a bullet?

Krylon 1613 - What's the best replacement?

"cmayna" said:
John,
How many cans are you after? I have a few cans of Krylon 1613 I'd be happy to sell to a fellow Kali boy. Or I can go out and get/ship to you some Sems. I'm picking up a few extra cans for myself today.

I also have a couple of cans I would donate to you. The shelf life worries me so better someone get to use it.

I found that satin black is a good match..I have painted the gas tank,front suspention,under the car from front to back looks realy nice.

P1070269.jpg

P1070272.jpg

P1060927.jpg

P1070558.jpg

P1080506.jpg

still have to do the rearend and 3rd member, will be having the backing plated hot coated black.

Cmayna and GTscode, thanks for the paint offers, I really appreciate it. But, while out and about today I picked up 2 cans of SEM for a local paint supplier. Thanks Jeff for the contact info.

Back