• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Location for MSD box

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Yes, I'm going MSD with separate box. Just ordered yesterday. Now to find a spot for it. I don't want it to stand out thus I'll be painting it black. Ordered a black dizzy cap as well. I'm thinking of putting the box behind the passenger's shock tower at the bottom fastening it horizontally against the inner fender well right above the frame rail.

Will I have any issues with this which will bite me in the hinny later? :amaz

It's not a typical mounting location for an MSD box, but I see no reason why installing it there won't work just fine. There's plenty of room in that corner and it should stay plenty dry enough. Will the box fit below the brake line? I'm thinking it will, but the brake line is the only thing that's really in that area....

What about heat from the exhaust manifold? It will get warmer back there as opposed to more typical mounting locations... on the front inner aprons/radiator support.

There's no brake lines on that side. Sluggo, that's an idea if I can find room. I was going to mount in on the angular brace of battery tray (where I store Red's Duraspark control box) but the box is too long.

What about under the battery tray? I've seen a few people mount it there, and you hardly even notice it.

There's no brake line on that side? Really? How does your passenger side front hard brake line route over to the shock tower?

They have to pay for it.......LOL I was just playing around. No, I'm thinking much lower but will maybe re-address the battery tray idea.

"cmayna" said:
No, I'm thinking much lower

Much Lower? If i were you i wouldn't mount it on the frame rail, to hot and to many elements to be exposed to. What about on a kick panel, or up behind the dash?

Actually "much lower" isn't correct. I was thinking right above the frame rail. Looked under the dash and boy there isn't too much room. Don't want to see it while driving so I don't see enough room on the kick panels due to heater box location on one side and the fresh air vent on the other side.

Jake, Did you mean to say "....I would not mount in on the frame rail......

It would be between the top of the frame rail and the brake line.

I'll keep snooping around.

"cmayna" said:
Jake, Did you mean to say "....I would not mount in on the frame rail......

yes, sorry about that. I fixed it.

You could always use the glove box.

1001935oq0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That ruins the purpose of the jockey.....er glove box. Nah, think I'm going to stay as planned. Below the brake line hovering about 1/2" above the frame rail.

I would be worried about heat where youre thinking. Will the car have a console? On top of the trans tunnel near the firewall would be a good spot if you have a console. Have Jake make a mounting bracket on the console he's building you.

Craig:

There is a place above the glove box where the A/C ducts go that could be used for the MSD box since you don't have A/C. It would stay dry and out of sight.......

Jeff,
About an hour ago I was snooping around that area and I do see some room, so potential. There is also a vacancy to the right of the glove box that might work as well.

See " my way " Craig ( below the container )

Attachments

• left fr.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 145
Messr Bruno,
I think I see something below the tank. Is that it? I did infact paint that hideous red box black so it won't stand out so much anymore if it ends up in the engine bay. I will agree (very rare for me) that my original idea behind the passenger shock tower is going to see way too much heat.

That it ! I had to relocate the winshield washer tank a bit and it is now used as an overflow tank.

Back