• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Location for MSD box

With the battery orientation on the 65/66 it would be much easier to install this box. Not so much for a 67+

I know you said you want to hide it, but here's where I put mine. Kept my wiring clean and simple.
engine%2010-20-08.jpg

And FWIW, I used the coil + wire to turn on the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine's mounted on the outside of the apron, behind the outer headlamp, on the other side of the apron metal from the battery. The wires feed into engine area just forward of the battery and go on under the battery tray. I built a "box" out of aluminum flashing to protect the unit from weather and then hid the voltage regulator and solenoid under the battery tray too, cleaning up the engine area.

did you ever find a location for the MSD box? did this about three weeks ago. this was the only spot i could find. i didn't want it visible in the engine compartment as i'm trying to minimize the look of aftermarket toys. i do have access thru the glove box if i need to tune the limiters. this is a 69 without air conditioning.

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5162.jpg

What's wrong with the ignitor that goes in the distributor cap?

I didn't want to deal with points and didn't want the big box in my engine bay either. Then I saw the ignitor and thought that was the way to go.

"GTchris" said:
What's wrong with the ignitor that goes in the distributor cap?

I didn't want to deal with points and didn't want the big box in my engine bay either. Then I saw the ignitor and thought that was the way to go.

The basic version of the ignitor doesn't have an adjustable rev limiter, the MSD box does. Past that, there aren't THAT many advantages to an MSD box over a 'normal' electronic ignition, IMHO, though the MSD is probably a much better choice for high RPM competition use.

"buckeyedemon" said:
did you ever find a location for the MSD box? did this about three weeks ago. this was the only spot i could find. i didn't want it visible in the engine compartment as i'm trying to minimize the look of aftermarket toys. i do have access thru the glove box if i need to tune the limiters. this is a 69 without air conditioning.

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5162.jpg

Buckeyedemon ... didn't you just put 4 holes into your cowl? Looks like a sure-fire leak, to me.

"gotstang" said:
The basic version of the ignitor doesn't have an adjustable rev limiter, the MSD box does. Past that, there aren't THAT many advantages to an MSD box over a 'normal' electronic ignition, IMHO, though the MSD is probably a much better choice for high RPM competition use.

Not so fast there, Tonto. the MSD 6 boxes have a HUGE advantage over most stock-like ignitions. It is a capacitive discharge unit, meaning it's a huge capacitor.

At lower RPM's it sends multiple sparks per cylinder for better burning of the fuel mixture, which means easier starting, better idling, and better gas mileage.

At higher RPM's, a stock ignition system cannot fully saturate the coil before it's time to collapse the magnetic field and fire the plug again, which means the spark gets weaker and weaker, and the engine "noses over" way sooner.

Ford Muscle did an experiment at the track and the MSD 6-AL consistently dropped .3 seconds off of their time. That is very significant for a $150 bolt on part.

One reocurring theme in this thread is everyone worrying about "the elements". Not necessary with an MSD box, as long at it is mounted vertically, like the instructions say. This allows water to drain from it. Water will not hurt these boxes, as long as it doesn't just sit inside the box.

I had mine mounted to back of my headlight bucket in my '66, for the first 5 years or so. This is while the car was my daily driver, 365 days a year. I finally moved it, when I couldn't find it anymore, because it was so caked with road grime.

johnpro,

i took a half inch diameter bolt and sliced two discs 1/4" in thickness and two discs 1/2" in thickness. i drilled and tapped these discs so the four rubber standoffs would screw into these discs. i welded those discs to the bottom of the cowl. so no leaks and no possible way it will fall out.

"johnpro" said:
Ford Muscle did an experiment at the track and the MSD 6-AL consistently dropped .3 seconds off of their time. That is very significant for a $150 bolt on part.

They tested a complete MSD 6AL setup, including a new coil, against a standard pertronix, which is frankly little more than an electronic set of points (ie, same current, high resistance coil, etc). I've never seen a gain where MSDs have been tested agaisnt a modern, high current electronic ignition, like the HEI or TFI. But, I'm sure I haven't read everything.

Not downplaying the advantage the MSD gives, but the new Pertronix Ignitor IIIs have Multi-Spark Discharge across the entire RPM range, and a built in Rev Limiter.

Steve

"apollard" said:
They tested a complete MSD 6AL setup, including a new coil, against a standard pertronix, which is frankly little more than an electronic set of points (ie, same current, high resistance coil, etc). I've never seen a gain where MSDs have been tested agaisnt a modern, high current electronic ignition, like the HEI or TFI. But, I'm sure I haven't read everything.

I agree. I was posting that, though, in response to the implications that the MSD box not really having any advantage over the Pertronix.

I have not seen any direct tests with the MSD versus an HEI, but my guess would be that the MSD performs at least as well.

"AtlantaSteve" said:
Not downplaying the advantage the MSD gives, but the new Pertronix Ignitor IIIs have Multi-Spark Discharge across the entire RPM range, and a built in Rev Limiter.

Steve

Until I see an independent test, I'm not going to buy into their "Ignition box performance... without the box" claim. The thing that gives the MSD and similar systems their advantage is the capacative discharge system. I'm no electrical engineer, but I just don't see how that tiny trigger is going to be able to saturate the coil as quickly or efficiently as a giant capacitor.

Also, the Pertronix Ignitor I was fantastic. The Ignitor II ... well, not so much. I wouldn't be in the first wave of customers for any of their new products. :craz

"johnpro" said:
Also, the Pertronix Ignitor I was fantastic. The Ignitor II ... well, not so much. I wouldn't be in the first wave of customers for any of their new products. :craz

Thanks for the warning. I have an Ignitor 1 and was quite happy with it, but never upgraded for there. It's still ticking, so I'm gonna leave it alone for later, but I will be looking to upgrade that one of these days.

And your point is noted on the capacitive advantage the MSD box gives you. I would like to see an independent test, as well.

I am not sure about times or anything, but I don't care for the Igniter, I had one in the 67 I didn't see any benefit. I changed it out to a II and it seemed to hinder the car. I am running points since I am a cheap fart. I am running an Accel billet distributer in the 67. The Po of the 65 put a Mallory dual point in it. Then the dope took one of the sets of points out.

I do have the Crane Cams electronic ignition device that fits inside a stock distributer. If I can make it fit in one of the other disitributers I may use it. It has built in rev limiter and some of the other things mentioned above.

OK, what I do know about MSD is zero, but I do know about the Jocobs Electronics setups. I chose it for a Dodge Durrango I had. It had a 360 in it and was getting about 9-10 MPG. The power didn't seem to be there for what I was putting in the tank. So I invested in a high flow intake and that helped performance, but not the MPG. The exhaust was already high flow. I know the chip has a lot to do with it too, but I knew some folks that had them and they talked me into it. I got it in the mail and was pleased that it was blue not the annoying red of the MSD, I installed it and the wires and coil replacement they sent. Man seat of the pants performance, was there. MPG jumped 2 MPG too. So was it better, I don't know. Would I do it again, you bet. They are more money than the MSD though.

I am not sold on having a box that controls my spark in my old cars. I don't race them, but I do drive them like I stole them. I haven't changed that part of the drive train concentrating on other things I think are more important instead, but I know at some point I will have to address my ignition. I have to say in the old days I did like my dual point Mallary and the super coil they had out at the time. It was sort of a badge of honor back then. Kinda like the MSD stuff. Except I guess from the posts here, the MSD stuff really works.

Mel

I could, but those guys over there at MSD have a corner on the market or at least are very popular and they should offer it in a different color! Or at least offer Black.

Mel

Back