• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Location for MSD box

"cmayna" said:
I did infact paint that hideous red box black so it won't stand out so much anymore if it ends up in the engine bay.

For some reason, several are unhappy with the color. In my case, I found it to be a positive thing. I was going for the red/black/silver thing. You can see it peeking out below the WW reservoir...

index.php

OK, if anyone can tell me why this attempt to paste a pic from my gallery didn't work, I'm all ears...

If you click the picture, do not right click it and copy the URL as it is only good while the picture is expanded, at the lower portion of the window the picture opens in, copy the direct link.

BTW- my MSD is under the dash, held in place with industrial strength velcro, no holes drilled in cowl or firewall.

383_06_01_10_11_18_50.JPG

"guruatbol" said:
I am not sold on having a box that controls my spark in my old cars.

Absent high RPM work, I'd agree you don't need a high priced/powered box, but changing to a good electronic ignition (box or not) yeild benefits over points / std pertronix for even daily drivers IME. I'm running a duraspark II distributor with a HEI module (gasp! GM part!). Cranks on the first few revolutions, idles smooth, etc. etc. Cost me less than $75 bucks.

When I had a few GMs, I liked the early HEI. It was super simple to get electronic ignition that worked well.

Just find an newer dizzy that fit your application at the local pick a part and swap it out.

Mel

Yep, that does look great Craig. I am not sure if the rebel in me will allow me to go with the MSD monopoly stuff. Time will tell. I have to get some other things done on the 67 by Knott's

Mel

"cmayna" said:
Here's my MSD box painted and located

Yeah, that's about where I put mine, too. But I flipped it over so that the group of big wires would be concealed and the smaller leads that go to the coil and dist would be toward the rear. The label peeled off easily so I flipped it, too. :coo

I appreciate the trouble you went to to preserve the ribs and label...

"Fast68back" said:
If you click the picture, do not right click it and copy the URL as it is only good while the picture is expanded, at the lower portion of the window the picture opens in, copy the direct link.

Thanks, Rick. I tried it and it worked (but I left my original post alone).

Back