• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need info about 70 Mustang Grande ASAP pls!

Kats66Pny

I've never even heard of a Grande. I see they only made like 13,000 of them. That's all I know! Need more info, as I might buy one. :craz

About all I can say is they were more of the luxury style of the Mustang. Vinyl top which can hide rust, other than that, optioned according to the original buyer I believe. Some searching would tell you of the standard options.

Found this...Besides the base Mustang, there was the new Grande, which was a more upscale 2dr hardtop. The Grande included the Deluxe Interior , wire wheel covers, the Sport Mirrors and special striping and identification.

Not normally viewed as desirable as other mustangs. Low production numbers should not be used to justify higher price. I would actually argue the other direction.

As pointed out, watch out for rust under the vinyl top.

I'm going to drive all the way to DFW tomorrow to check this one out.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1862429596.html

Supposedly, the whole thing has been restored top to bottom. Major work is done. Its mainly cosmetic things that need finished. The guy said he won't show it to anyone else until after I look at tomorrow. He said he has a storage unit filled with parts for it. Rust free except some surface rust. Floors solid. Cowls are good. Interior is good. Seats are a little worn and faded. All it needs is carpet. It has no carpet installed. Just put in a headliner. New glass in windows.

Looks like a worthwhile trip. Did you sell the '66?

Look for hidden rust in all the normal places.....trunk drop offs, under the bottom of the doors by the rubber seal, pour a gallon of water in the cowl, look up inside the fender wells in the back, floors from under the car and under the carpet if you can. I have been known to carry a small screwdriver with me to tap the areas of concern to see if it pokes thru. Look it over good.

"Horseplay" said:
Not normally viewed as desirable as other mustangs. Low production numbers should not be used to justify higher price. I would actually argue the other direction.

+1

In 1970 they made about 7,000 boss 302s which are selling for a mint now. 7600 convertibles and they are worth less than a standard sportsroof.
It's all about desirability. A car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

"RapidRabbit" said:
+1

In 1970 they made about 7,000 boos 302s which are selling for a mint now. 7600 convertibles and they are worth less a standard sportsroof.
It's all about desirability. A car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

I bet those boos 302's are valuable for sure..... :lol :lol :lol

"AzPete" said:
Looks like a worthwhile trip. Did you sell the '66?

Look for hidden rust in all the normal places.....trunk drop offs, under the bottom of the doors by the rubber seal, pour a gallon of water in the cowl, look up inside the fender wells in the back, floors from under the car and under the carpet if you can. I have been known to carry a small screwdriver with me to tap the areas of concern to see if it pokes thru. Look it over good.

Looking under the carpet will be easy since it doesn't have any. I'll write down everything you just said and add it to my check list. I was thinking of taking a magnet as well. I heard thats a good way to check for bondo?I know for the price, it's not going to be a perfect 100% rust free with no problems.

No I haven't sold my 66 yet. I'm going to call the car dealer guy in the morning and see if he is still willing to pay $4000 cash for mine. If he is, I'm gonna sell it to him for 4 and then call this guy and let him for for sure that I'm getting the cash and on my way to DFW. This 70 Grande, the guy said he'd sell it to me for 4 so it's almost like I'd be trading mine for the 70. I just got an email with a few more pics of the 70. I'll post them so you all can see and if there's anything someone can point out I'm not seeing.

edit.. Ok here's the pics he sent. His laptop crashed and he lost most of the pics he had of the resoration he did.

l0857d870676b4156a0ec39.jpg

18379272382930648563080.jpg

18379272382935648563080.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Grande's, as others have said, were the "luxury" version, with more soundproofing, upgraded interior, quieter interior, etc. Interior upholstery is unique, and very hard to come by if you are interested in going semi-concours.

What engine is in it? A 302? 351 Cleveland, or a 351 Windsor? The 351C is certainly more desirable, but the 4V carb version is considered less streetable than the 2V version. Each of the Clevelands have their pro's and con's, and are wicked engines if done right.

What engine is in it?
All I know about the engine is whats in the ad. I'm no mechanic so no clue if this is good or not?

"Over $9,000 in new parts, Needs carpet and finish interior - "easy work". Has Rebuilt 302 w RPM intake and Holley 4bbl 600 carb. Tagged and inspected, daily driver, has 7,300 miles on engine and 47,000 on body. Runs and drives good. Rebuilt C4 trans., new gas tank, shocks, struts, leaf springs, rims, tires, brakes, starter, alternator, radiator, etc"

He drives thing now as his daily driver. No power steering, but does have disc brakes in the front. Forgot to ask about the master cylinder but I can check that tomorrow. I would assume if the guy went to disc brakes, he'd put in a dual MC if it needed one.

Having those miles on the engine is good. Shows it is not just done and not dialed in. It should run real good as it sounds like a good combo. If the paint is less than 12 - 18 months old, it can hide any problems. Poor prep on the body will show up as bubbles under the paint but it takes time. The car I sold had a beautiful 3 month old paint job but at about 12 months, it showed bubbles from poor rust removal. Look around the window frames, along the drip rails, and other welded body joints. Be nosey about things....it is your money.

The pic looks like a standard '70 coupe, unless he removed the vinyl top for the resto. The Grande should have a deluxe interior (like a Mach 1) and will have a body style code of 65E, the body serial code is 04. I'm showing there were 13,518 made (Mustang Does It!, copyright 1978). Good luck.

Looking at that first pic, I see a dual master cylinder and power assist! Hope it works out for you! kip

I think there should have been a chrome trim piece between the rear side window and the back glass. Look for body issues there. Even if it is not a Grande, it still looks like a good price if the car checks out good.

I think there should have been a chrome trim piece between the rear side window and the back glass. Look for body issues there.

Maybe. I'll have to google some pictures for comparison. I know he said in his storage unti he has lots of things left for the stang he hadn't gotten around to putting on. If I buy it, it comes with everything he has for it. Including spare tire.

From talking with the guy, and looking at the pics he sent... it sounds as if he went in and did a frame off restoration or darn near close to it on the thing. He did say not to expect the best of paint jobs. He said he took it to maaco and said he has 900, make it blue and thats what they did. I wouldn't keep the blue. If I get it, down the road, it would be painted a silver with black le mans stripes or depending how good the body work was done, black with silver le mans stripes.

He sounds like a nice guy. He doesn't even want to sell the stang but new job is forcing him to get a truck that can carry icky chemicals or something. He said that if I ended up liking it and buying it, I could call him anytime and ask for specifics on the car as he's the one who did everything and knows the car inside and out. Cool. Unlike the PO and my 66. Can't get info on it.

As for it being rare-ish or whatever. He told me they didn't make many of them and as long as he'd had the Grande, he's never seen another one. He said he gets people mistaking it for a camero. Ewww. LOL It may not be the most desirable or popular of stangs, but I'm weird and the fact that they aren't a dime a dozen like my 66 coupe, makes me like it more. I like to be unique.

Also for you 'stink bug' haters.. this one has a 2" lift in the rear. SCORE! :vic
3kd3p93oe5O25Q65T2a7pa8384d0af30016af.jpg

sounds like a fair price. 70 coupes were not the most popular, but they can be very sharp if done right.
I like the fact that you don't see a lot of them around too.

offer him 3500, don't be afraid to drag the guy over the coals is you like his car. Its a buyers market, and he needs to sell. But don't rush and regret it, like you did with your coupe.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Also for you 'stink bug' haters.. this one has a 2" lift in the rear. SCORE! :vic
3kd3p93oe5O25Q65T2a7pa8384d0af30016af.jpg

..........only if done correct. Air shocks......bad
..........leaf springs designed to give the lift...good
..........coil sprigs like you removed from your '66....bad.

i own a 70 grande with a 302.. its nothing special.. i just restomoded it and made it what i wanted..
im pretty sure the ones with the 351w is something tho.....

Back