• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Project - It's H!ere

You guys have it so rough. If that car would have sat outside here in the rust belt there wouldn't have been anything left! Congrats on the buy, a 390GT convertible is a pretty nice score!!!

I've only seen the one picture so far, but I was thinking about this quite a bit last night, I think I might hate you.

"Fast68back" said:
I've only seen the one picture so far, but I was thinking about this quite a bit last night, I think I might hate you.

You're still in the early stages then..... Five minutes after he posted the new acquisition I'd determined that I hate him. If he posts a purchase price under $7500 I'll probably need to be medicated.

"JeffTepper" said:
...a cracked engine block...

Nothing a little JB Weld (or sealing foam) can't fix! Another 390 in the south bay, what a surprise, congratulations anyway.

Congrats Jeff. Being a nice guy really pays off.

Looks like its going to be a really fun project. As the others have offered, give me a call if you need any moving help, actually, give me a call if you need any help with it at all for that matter.

Need more pics. :dh

Well congrats Jeff :ecit

That will be a fun project.

Trying to have a plan and being organized is always thrown out the door after the first week. :craz

Re: New Project - Update after day one...

I had some time today to work on the front suspension (driver's side lower control arm, strut rod and tie rod) so it's now a roller that steers as well. I swapped out the leaky tires/rims that came with it and put my old '67 styled steel wheels/tires that actually hold air so the car doesn't list to one side after a couple of hours. If I can carve out some time tomorrow, I will be checking out a lead on a '68 390 from a Cougar and gut the interior to do a complete assessment of the floors. The inner rockers appear solid and the panel gaps are even with no sagging. The only rust needing repair so far are a couple of small bubbles in the lower front corners of both doors. I'll try and get some more pics up before the end of the week. And Dave, sorry but you will need to take your medication...............................

And Dave, sorry but you will need to take your medication...............................

Dammit. I suspected that you got it for a good price, but was afraid to ask out of fear that the answer would push me over the edge. Your new acquisition coupled with seeing that '66 Fairlane for sale out in Texas is eating at me hard. I need another "fun" vehicle like I need another hole in my head, but this economy is pulling some nice cars out into the light.

Must...... continue......... to...... resist....... the........ urge's........

So Jeff, now that you've rubbed a "west coast" car in our eastern faces, what exactly are your plans for the car? Are you doing a his and hers for your wife? Just wondering what your long term plans are for the car. Ya lucky bastige!

Re: New Project - It's Here!

"beach pony" said:
So Jeff, now that you've rubbed a "west coast" car in our eastern faces, what exactly are your plans for the car? Are you doing a his and hers for your wife? Just wondering what your long term plans are for the car. Ya lucky bastige!

Ron:

At this point, the plan is to go through the car and do what needs to be done to make it a nice driver for resale. As we get further along, we will reasses the plan and refine as necessary. Since there are already two 390 equipped cars in the fleet, it might be hard to justify a third! As a side note, I have a partner on this one so if I decide to keep it, I will need to buy him out. On the other hand, who knows what might change between now and when it's "done"??

I am still waiting to schedule a time to go look at the engine we are considering for this project but I did have time to pull the seats and carpet out. The floors are in astonishingly good shape, the inner rockers are rock solid and the door gaps are nice and uniform, no sagging. Some surface rust (easily treated) in the floor pans and one hole the size of a dime in the rear foot well. Unfortunately, my wife took the camera with her today so I am not able to post pics of the interior. If the weather cooperates tomorrow, I'll try and find the time to pull the car out in the light and snap some pics.

Well good luck with it Jeff. It sounds like a great find. Those of us on the "other" coast are jealous of the cars y'all find over there. Keep us posted on the progress and put up a thread in the build forum so we can follow it.

Back