• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New shop

Have you thought about installing Pex for a heated floor ?
I have 650' of Pex in my 25 x 26 shop . The heated floor
is not functional , but it is there for when I have the money
or desire to finish the installation . My shop is also plumbed
for a full bathroom .

No. I’d like to have a heated floor but we aren’t even plumbing water out there. Planning a double 50 gallon drum stove with a oil dripper for heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any heat in winter would be nice! It was only 40 degrees in my garage today. Of course it was like 20 degrees outside...

I've had to leave my garage heater on 24/7 just to keep it hovering above freezing. I currently have a three stall walk in fridge out there. Was actually pretty handy over the holidays with all the extra residents I've been housing!

Guys should finish up the earthwork tomorrow or Friday. Pushing the start date on the shop until first week of March. Hoping the weather will break and we can get going good then. This will give me more time to figure out the details on it as plans have changed a little as the land dictated.

Anyhow, we are figuring on a 32x40 with 12 ft ceiling in the shop pole barn style construction. If it was a typical pole barn, then details would be easy. However, we are planning a studio apartment in the loft for future use and current storage. I wanted a gambrel roof on it from the beginning, so trying to figure out the best way to do that with the loft and freespan the shop area has been a bigger challenge financially then first imagined. So, we have landed at manufactured trusses that will freespan the shop. Trusses will give me a 14x40 loft. I wanted more space that, but it blows the budget out of the water. These trusses will be set at 19.2' centers to give me the 14 ft and will cost 3950 tax/delivery then decked with 800 bux worth of advantech. To get another 2 foot or 16 foot wide was gonna be set on 16' foot centers and cost 8250 tax/delivery. Not feasible. I have exhausted options looking at it from a financial standpoint. I considered 2nd floor trusses, steel beams, even a few posts in the shop, and stick framing the roof; but nothing netted me much gain over the engineered trusses.

I have been sourcing material at good prices though.Found the 6x6x16 post 13 bux cheaper a piece and bought a pallet of 13 windows from a place going out of business for 130 bux.

Pole barns have an additional feature: they are great for instructing young wimmen in pole dancing!

Heck you could afford the big one. Just rent the apartment to Midlife......

In 2012 we built a pole barn for my wife's horses.
42x60 x12ft walls 20ft double slide doors at each end (East/West) with a 7ft wide slider on the south side, it isn't insulated at all.
This pic is from when it was first completed, I had to haul in more dirt to backfill along the walls, and we had 24 yards of washed sand that was dumped in the middle.

I don't know how you are getting away so cheap with dirt, 12 loads?

When we built this one in the flattest place on earth (outside Fargo ND) it took 550 yards to get it level and above flood stage.
For 5 days I had the local dirt/gravel guys dropping off 120yards that I had to flatten out each night with a skidsteer (on rubber tracks)
It took (2) crews of guys working 5 days to fully construct the barn.

IMG_2498.JPG

I told my wife that in 3-5 years it will be time to build a garage-ma-hall, I live on 11 acres so space won't be the constraint.

I think it was 25-30 loads. Also, all the dirt from the garage leveling is being pushed around back. I told the guy my budget on leveling up the back yard and doing the site leveling and he said he could do it. I think its more than he bargained for but he hasn't mentioned anymore money. I got a heck of a price for all this work. Weather has been crap, so hoping to get back going on this tomorrow. Hopefully they will be finished up this week.

When we need fill for our concrete work, I was lucky that we had a dry pond. The contract said it was the best dirt ever, No Rocks being sediment fill. He even reduced my price due to wanting some more dirt for another project.

42786e388c76d80d32178dfe0eeec666.jpg
cba6e6c318ac1dce363e361fabd31756.jpg
7796eee9420900db0a35ea0475f1b19c.jpg
5ed3c4bbba46572636e805c130829152.jpg
0a9fe2bfafbe994fe096c993c3c0102c.jpg
0a2f796bf39cbf06873759b98c728cc2.jpg
ab765f18ac82a61b430dc4c0d111fe55.jpg
35c8479b242ef0d87aa66fa8b800bc66.jpg

Ready for concrete Monday or Tuesday if the weather is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming along nicely. Once the base is down the rest goes up pretty quick.

Back