• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New toy!

RustyRed

Bought me a new toy today.

'79 Trans Am with T-tops and 6.6L motor.

Needs a few minor things like new exhaust, front end bushing and a tune up.

However, there is not a single bit of rust on the floor pans...I was amazed really. Trunk pan looks clean enough to eat off of.

Has some surface rust on the frame rails but nothing a good sanding and undercoating won't cure.

Paid for it today and picking it up either later today if I can get there before the shop closes or around lunch time tomorrow. Funny...I've looked high and low for one of these and turns out a guy I know that I used to go to church with ended up selling this one for a friend of his and it's literally 10 minutes from my house. Guy who owns it moved to Canada and needed to sell it...what are the odds of it being literally 10 minutes from my house? Picture taken with my cell phone below.

Best part? Picked it up for just under $8k :yah

129-161110135417.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
"AzPete" said:
Nice....got a couple of friends here that are into them. Sounds like a good deal.

Let's put it this way...after I looked at it and test drove it I went straight to the bank to get back with a check before someone swooped in and offered him $9k or even $10k....the keys and the title are now safely in my possession :thu

Got her home...

Already starting a punch list of "to do's" that need to be looked at right away.

Going to change the oil...pressure is fine but not sure when it was last done.

Give it a geneneral good tune up (i.e. plugs, wires, cap). The guy that was selling it said it needs a tune or maybe a carb rebuild. I'll have to get Duane's help on that one, LOL!

The gauge lights / dash lights are inop....not sure but will have to check into it. Maybe something simple like a fuse or ground come loose.

Exhaust needs to be replaced pretty much now.

Need to rebuild the front end basically. At minimum needs bushings, maybe more like tie rods, etc. That will lead to alignment. Also need to get the tires balanced because one of them is not in balance, LOL!

Rear end looks a little leaky. Probably going to at least replace the seal on that.

Guess I now have my winter projects lined up, Huh?

Ah, and so it begins.

Now that you have a GM product, you can use terms like "frame off," "posi," and "numbers matching" without getting a lot of crap about them not applying to that car.

Congrats - It looks nice... having had a '76 T/A I'm a bit partial to the single headlight styling but that is very nice nonetheless, being a 6.6 400 puts it in a higher class than the 301 turbos and olds 403 equipped T/As... looks pretty original. Does it have the Borg Warner Super T10 4 speed too?

One of the best things I did to mine was install '84 Mustang GT bucket seats.

Gotta luv the Super Chicken graphics!

Congrats on finally finding your TA. Funny how it turned out to be right under your nose.

"sigtauenus" said:
Ah, and so it begins.

Now that you have a GM product, you can use terms like "frame off," "posi," and "numbers matching" without getting a lot of crap about them not applying to that car.

Frame off doesn't work except for the most ignorant of the GM crowd, well for that car anyway...It is a unibody, right?

Mel

Very cool. :thu

When I bought my stang , I was looking for a good 69/70 convertible for years. Then one day i picked up the local want ads when I was bored and found one for sale 2 miles from my house and bought it the next day.
I kind of forgot to tell the wife first though. I was to afraid if I waited it would be gone.

Not too shabby. I'm in CA though, where that car isn't worth quite as much. Anything post-'75 and you can't really do much to the rather wheezy motor due to smog regs. What are they, something like 180hp?

Back