• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

People talking on their cell phone?

gotstang

I was just sitting here and I got a phone call from my next door neighbor. I was on the phone just long enough to say "Hi..well, I dunno" when some girl walks up and says "take your conversation outside". Getting up and walking away is likely to get all your belongings stolen here, so I hung up and packed my shit quick-like while Ms. Intolerance watched, and hustled outside so I could carry on a conversation without interference from every jackhole that happened by. :eek:mg :rp

This has happened to me several times recently, and NOBODY has been even a little bit polite about it; one guy told me to "get the fuck outta here with that". I'm pretty quietly spoken....WTF is up with these whackos that a quiet, polite 30 second conversation irks them so bad? More importantly, has this happened to you, and WWSD?

"apollard" said:
Where is 'here'? Resturant? Church? Bus?
Heh, I imagine the setting would make a difference. It's a church basement. :lol No, it's a lounge/cube-farm type place where phone conversations are supposedly forbidden, though that doesn't seem to stop most people from having loud, profane conversations 24x7.

What's the difference between having a conversation with someone on the phone and having one in person?

I try to limit my conversations to a somewhat private area. If I am on the phone I like to walk away and have the conversation. I might have one alone while driving if my ear piece is working.

I hate when people do not use hands free devices while driving.

It is rude to talk on the phone when you are in line paying for something or in a situation where you need to interact with someone who is not on the phone.

Mel

"gotstang" said:
Heh, I imagine the setting would make a difference. It's a church basement. :lol No, it's a lounge/cube-farm type place where phone conversations are supposedly forbidden, though that doesn't seem to stop most people from having loud, profane conversations 24x7.

If the phone conversation is forbidden, why would you expect to be able to have one? Even a short, "I cannot talk" is wrong. If normal conversations with foul language are not forbidden, maybe a change should be requested. If others are using the phone, there are other problems within the controlling forces.

Mel, I agree, seeing people on the phone while checking out at a store drives me nuts.

Heck, today, I was just sitting there, minding my own business, typing away on my laptop when this happened. :craz

I figured since it's so commonplace, no-one would be irritated. Guess I figured wrong, as Ms. Intolerance pointed out. The rules here are a giant SNAFU and haven't been enforced for the last couple of years (it's a university, SNAFU seems about average :lol ).

"silverblueBP" said:
What's the difference between having a conversation with someone on the phone and having one in person?

What I see with rude people, is when on a phone conversation.....it takes precedent over life, when person to person, other things tend to get done like checkout at a store.

I had to sit in line for two hours at the DPS office when I had to renew my drivers license in August. You can only renew online for about a decade before they make you come in...who knew?

Anyway, there was a woman on the phone the entire fricking time we were in line, one call after another. She was five or six people ahead of me and I could practically tell you her entire family's medical history and all sorts of other gossip. Things I really didn't want / need to hear to be honest. That and the a-holes that are walking around the grocery store and in my way on every isle because they are on the phone drive me nuts.

Doesn't sound like you were out of line though....

"AzPete" said:
What I see with rude people, is when on a phone conversation.....it takes precedent over life, when person to person, other things tend to get done like checkout at a store.

Agree, but in this instance, we're not talking about that. I see no difference in having a phone conversation and a "real" one...in this instance.

This sounds like a work situation......I still go back to my first comment.....if it is forbidden, why have one to begin with? Need to understand more of the reasoning behind the rules.......

"RustyRed" said:
Anyway, there was a woman on the phone the entire fricking time we were in line, one call after another. She was five or six people ahead of me and I could practically tell you her entire family's medical history and all sorts of other gossip. Things I really didn't want / need to hear to be honest. That and the a-holes that are walking around the grocery store and in my way on every isle because they are on the phone drive me nuts.

I hate that. :po

:nta

"Kats66Pny" said:
I hate that. :po

:nta

Yep...I was hoping she'd be stupid enough to buy something over the phone. Just to make the point when she pulled out her credit card I was going to walk right up with pen and paper in hand...maybe even ask her to repeat a few numbers....

But it's relative. They have everyone in the line going through one (yes one as in a single) person. Of course Mrs. Cell phone got up there and didn't have what she needed. She proceeds to argue with the DPS woman at the counter for a good ten minutes like she was going to change her mind. All the while, the LONG line of people are waiting an extra 10 minutes because of her.

I run into the cell phone talkers in Walmart & HEB all the time. I'll be doing my shopping and up walks someone pushing their cart blabbing away on their cell phone forgetting (or just don't care?) that everyone in the aisle can hear them. I don't need to know that your brothers girlfriends cousin Michelle got knocked up by Joe Bob and is 3 months behind in child support, or how you plan to go out that night to Northgate to see if you'll run into Mr Don't-Know-His-Name that you had a one night stand with last weekend, or how your Gynecologist said it wasn't contagious - yes some girl early 20s was actually having a conversation about that in a store. :puke :amaz

"Kats66Pny" said:
I run into the cell phone talkers in Walmart & HEB all the time. I'll be doing my shopping and up walks someone pushing their cart blabbing away on their cell phone forgetting (or just don't care?) that everyone in the aisle can hear them. I don't need to know that your brothers girlfriends cousin Michelle got knocked up by Joe Bob and is 3 months behind in child support, or how you plan to go out that night to Northgate to see if you'll run into Mr Don't-Know-His-Name that you had a one night stand with last weekend, or how your Gynecologist said it wasn't contagious - yes some girl early 20s was actually having a conversation about that in a store. :puke :amaz

That's the next to best reason to go to Walmart...that's a close second to see some of the local winners. The People of Walmart is the best site!!!

"66gt350" said:
That's the next to best reason to go to Walmart...that's a close second to see some of the local winners. The People of Walmart is the best site!!!

I won't lie... there were times when hubby was deployed and I was so bored I would go walk around Walmart just to laugh at people. I also won't lie about the fact I have gone to wally world in the middle of the night in my pj's (sweatpants and shirt) & house slippers. :lol I didn't care. I had a newborn baby and living on 2hrs a sleep at most a day. To heck with what people thought!

I travel all the time. I'm on the road almost every week. I have a cell and it's handy but I HATE them and most people who use them. As soon as the plane lands, everyone is so freakin' anxious to turn on their phone and call somebody. It pisses me off. Now these stupid bluetooth things, everyone is walking around like they are talking to themselves. I can't tell you how many times someone is staring right at me and starts a conversation like they are talking to me. It is annoying. Then of course is the LOUD cell phone talkers who go on and on about every little thing. My wife gets mad at me but if I'm in public I tell her I will call her back. I refuse to have a personal conversation surrounded by strangers. Even for business I tell them it's too noisy I call when I find a quiet spot. I guess I'm weird! I travel with coworkers who will answer their cell phone in the middle of a conversation. Just because it rings, doesn't mean you HAVE to answer it, how rude!
It's not so much the phone as what it does to people. They just stop thinking... I don't want to be one of those :fbomb idiots.

"tarafied1" said:
I don't want to be one of those :fbomb idiots.

In my past life I would have responded with "too late". But now that I've been reborn I will respond....me either.

Back