1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

"Phoenix" 65 Coupe to FB

Discussion in 'Member's Build Threads' started by JRANGER, Dec 30, 2016.

1. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

2. JRANGER

JRANGER Active Member

Split the bumper and fitted it after makin a fiberglass backing plate. As you can see it needed to be widen a decent amount. I then used my glass plate to fit it together and 3m 8115. Once it cures ill glass the middle
    glass.jpg cut.jpg 8115.jpg
    clamp.jpg

3. Boom

Boom Active Member

Nice, who's bumper is that?

4. JRANGER

JRANGER Active Member

its a mtf bumper but my mustang is a bit weird everything fits great

5. JRANGER

JRANGER Active Member

Talked to buddy Matt pretty much all day and well im either buying a 302 from him or buying a 302 from a guy in hendersonville. My engine guy Joey is actually going to go check it out for me this weekend. The 302 in hendo is pretty much ready to drop in, 330HP, and comes with hooker headers but you know how that goes. We will see what happens. Then ill see if i can drop in my first engine....Then see if i can figure out how to attach a transmission for the first time...Ive been reading most of the day and jesus...So many parts and info...One hand im looking at a nice AOD for 1600 with conversion parts minus the needed cross member then im looking at a c4 by tci but it needs the bell housing and god knows what else but comes with the cooler and fluids....ugh UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and i glassed my bumper back together earlier in the week and sanded that out smooth. Now it just needs a thin bit of filler in the middle and screw holes
    bumper.jpg

6. Horseplay

Horseplay Well-Known Member

Some advice. IF...and that is a very big IF...you buy an engine "from a guy" you'd be foolish not to take it apart and check everything. A full set of engine gaskets is a small price to pay for piece of mind. I have yet to go inspect an engine that was "done right" that was anything short of junk. Without the oil pan, valve covers, intake and other stuff coming off no way to be sure what you're getting. Be VERY careful. Small block Fords are not hard to do right and don't have to cost a fortune to build.

Same goes for transmissions. Anything you buy used plan on rebuilding unless you really do know the guy and the history of it. Nothing worse than yanking it out right away. AOD can get expensive and if you are not really going to do a ton of highway cruising are not worth it. C4 are awesome trans that can be had cheap and you can rebuild yourself if necessary.

The easy part of all this is putting it in the car. You can yank or drop a SBF with trans attached by yourself without breaking a sweat. And in your garage by yourself that is exactly the way you should do it. Just be certain you fully seat that converter before you try cinching the trans up to the engine. They need to go together easy. It doesn't take using the bolts to draw them together.

7. JRANGER

JRANGER Active Member

Thanks for the info. That is exactly why im having my buddy check it.