Separate names with a comma.
Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
Already a member? Login here then!
Discussion in 'Member's Build Threads' started by JRANGER, Dec 30, 2016.
Havent had any issues with it. I like it
well 9+ hours into the day and i got a bit done.
First I taped off everything thing on both sides.
Then i fitted everything and started to fill all the panels with evercoat and fit them back. I managed to get the drivers side completed and ready for adhesive.
After i removed the filled panels i had used a razor to cut the tape so i could leave tape where the panels wouldnt be.
Nice, are you using the evercoat to pack the fiberglass pieces? What are you going to use for the adhesive? I plan to eventually get the side scoops.
Yes i am using evercoat lightweight to pack the FG as recommended by Rich from MTF. This is what he does to get a bigger bonding area. I bought some 3m 08115 bonding adhesive which is what rich uses as well.... Im not sure about it though. I feel like screw sunk in would be a little more permanent but i dunno lol
Spent all of Saturday getting the passenger side full of filler and having issues getting holes in the L bracket on the bottoms but got that done and got epoxy on the back of all the panels for adhesion.
Spent all of sunday starting to graft in these tail panels. Unfortunately i didnt rememver i put these tail lights in upside down so when starting my fitment i cut the wrong panel. So its a bit short on top but ill get that all squared away. Got the bottom and sides of the passenget side welded in. Took my whole day, measuring cutting. Fitting, re fitting, welding, checking fitment again, and so in. Need to get a cone grinder for my welds and still have a lot of spots to fill in but its getting here. Hopefully the otherside goes smoother
Are those taillights going to be frenched in? I thought the kits usually have a fiberglass tali panel that goes over your existing one?
Somewhat. These are 69 lights which are long then the 67 you usually see.
I see, do you plan to build up the corners on the end caps? Are you looking to use a flip open cap?
Prob a screw on cap but i havent decided. Ill prob figerglass to the angle of the lights on the end caps
Driver side is sitting as the 3m 8115 cures. Used all my clamps so now i guess ill have to wait for the other side. Its a little chilly here at 45 this morning but warming up to 60. It says 4 hours but prob safe to let it sit for the day
other issue ive had is one one of the bottom brackets of the fenders would fit the front and things werent meshing quiet well. So since i couldnt do much else i made brackets to weld on to the lower section of the fender to mat it up. I need to weld it in place but i need to fit it and the passenger side of the front is loose. So why i was at it i hit the loose part with some panel bonding to secure it back in place...
It has been over 4 hours and the 8115 is still tacky on the out side edges so certainly leaving it be
looking good. Tail lights are growing on me.
Both sides are bonded on and Brackets welded in
At the rate ive been working this week im going to need a vacation from my vacation. Today i packed the front with Evercoat Lightweight and got the liens looking pretty good. The lower section on the other side was loose so i put some panel bonding on it. I also did a lot of sanding on the drivers side getting the bonding adhesive off the car and fiberglass. I also started to sand down the side scoop so i can feather it towards the door. Then i decided i need to tackle the 1ft section of the drip rail so i cut it off the old section and cut out the coupe front. Then i got it in place and put some panel bonding adhesive on it. I have a flat bar covered in tape under it and left an inch on the front and back to weld into place one it done. Tomorrow ill tackle the other side..
One question. Would you guys feather the edges of the scoops to the quarter or leave the hard lines? Im debating weather to run some bondo and use a round bar to feather them in
Those are 1970 tail lights, not 1969. 1969 tail lights had equally spaced chrome highlights.
As for the edges of your scoop, it looks like the scoop is very close to your rear flare. You'd probably have to blend those two edges together when feathering since they're so close. I always thought the blended in scoop looks better for that style, the Shelby style scoop looks good with hard lines.
No sir...The shelby lights 67-68 cougars had what you're thinking of. Theb 69-70 used this style. They are wider then the 67-68
Ive decided to go with hard lines as i dont want to risk cracking to feather it in. I am feathering from the door gap to the door though
May want to recheck your info....Steve is correct those are 70 lights. There is a distinct difference between the two years.
Ok i see what yall are talking about. Lights are the same, Grille is different. Does appear to be 70s grille because the reflector area doesnt have the extra fin. Tail lights are identical other then the grille itself where 1970 had multiple grille options and 1969 only had the one