• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Planning a Holiday/Road Trip to the USA(West Coast)

"Johnny M" said:
Silly question alert.... but i am guessing there will be snakes and bears and other things that might make me a little "dead" out there?

Check out the Yosemite NP website about hiking/camping and what to bring. Most bring walking sticks, bear bells (a constant noise while walking) and pepper spray. Yes there have been bear attacks up there along with mountain lions but those are rare. Just be aware its their habitat, not yours and act accordingly.

Ok. i just got a flash back to a Music Festival a few years in eastern europe on a hot summer and i remembered how the tents were like Sauna's by about 6am. I had to crawl out of the test after 2-3 hours sleep and find shade under a tree.

I might reconisder to some sort of lodging with AC. how hot will it be in Yosemite in August?

"KBMWRS" said:
Most bring walking sticks, bear bells (a constant noise while walking)
That's how the park rangers know if there is any Grizzly bears in the area........they look for bear sh*t with little bells in it.

"70 StangMan" said:
That's how the park rangers know if there is any Grizzly bears in the area........they look for bear sh*t with little bells in it.

Can anyone lend me a Desert Eagle? :gs

Just remember Johnny, you have nothing to fear from a bear so long as you are faster than at least one member of your group.

"Johnny M" said:
Silly question alert.... but i am guessing there will be snakes and bears and other things that might make me a little "dead" out there?

There are bears in the park but for the most part they are looking for food brought in by tourists. Their sense of smell is quite advanced and even if you can't smell food under the seat, they can. Use common sense and don't smear yourself with honey or lotion that remotely smells like bear food (berries?) or leave ANYTHING in your car that looks like or smells like food. The bears have been known to seriously trash a car to get into a cooler of food in the trunk (boot). There are Youtube videos of trashed cars....google "Bear breaking into car"....... If you end up camping in the high county, remember to properly hang your food high in a tree and don't have any food in your tent. The park service even has tips on their web site:

http://yosemitefun.com/bears.htm

"Horseplay" said:
Just remember Johnny, you have nothing to fear from a bear so long as you are faster than at least one member of your group.

So far my group is just me and my GF.....i better find some meaty people to tag along with.

"Johnny M" said:
So far my group is just me and my GF.....i better find some meaty people to tag along with.

Just take Mikey with you!

"Johnny M" said:
The most treatening animal in this country is a bull or an angry dog.....

What about the IRA?

But seriously, when we went bushwalking (hiking) to the Glacier at Mt Nelson in New Zealand, the locals kept reminding us we could look at the view instead of watching the path as their are no snakes in NZ.

"scedd" said:
What about the IRA?

But seriously, when we went bushwalking (hiking) to the Glacier at Mt Nelson in New Zealand, the locals kept reminding us we could look at the view instead of watching the path as their are no snakes in NZ the wild dingos ate them all.

As long as you are smart about and follow the tips you will be fine.

The wife, a few of our friends and I have reservations to camp out in Yosemite in June, looking forward to it.

Just pick up a .45ACP and load it with some Hornady XTP limb removers.

"KBMWRS" said:
Check out the Yosemite NP website about hiking/camping and what to bring. Most bring walking sticks, bear bells (a constant noise while walking) and pepper spray. Yes there have been bear attacks up there along with mountain lions but those are rare. Just be aware its their habitat, not yours and act accordingly.

In my 10 years of backpacking in Yosemite I've only seen a couple of bears and never had them get into my food. The bears are black bears (not grizzlies that will eat people) and typically only aggressive if you are between mom and a cub. Otherwise they run away. If you smell like food, they can come investigate. If you put your food in the steel bear boxes in camp and keep clean you will have no problems. Rattlesnakes are the only poisonous snakes in the area, but are usually in lower elevations. I haven't seen one yet.

In Yosemite, more people have been killed by deer (accidentally getting gored when trying to feed them) than any other wildlife. Most accidental deaths are from people getting swept over the waterfalls or falling off of Half Dome or some other cliff. Idiots. The three that went over the falls last summer waded in to the stream above the falls near the sign that says "If you go over the falls you will die."

At any rate, in August you won't see too many bears in the lower elevations. In early summer they come down to eat the new growth, then chase the new growth up slope as the season goes along.

"KBMWRS" said:

Got to watch out for Beaver attacks.... It's too perilous!

"Flysure1" said:
Absolutely nothing more dangerous known to man than a pissed off "beaver"!

You obviously haven't met my MIL...

Just to kind of give you a peek at what's coming soon.

Just snapped this shot 30 seconds ago. The wife and I felt like headin to the beach and relaxing.

c6e4de8a-dab4-28e9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"abrahamfh" said:
Just to kind of give you a peek at what's coming soon.

Just snapped this shot 30 seconds ago. The wife and I felt like headin to the beach and relaxing.

c6e4de8a-dab4-28e9.jpg

Looks amazing. What temperatures should i expect in August?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back