• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

@!#$^ pulley (*&^%$^ broken

AzPete

Out for a nice late lunch and a cruise around the beach..... On the way home I noticed the volt meter down with no change when reved...then the temp started climbing.....then I parked. Got out and both belts were off. Grabbed the tools to fix and then noticed the pulley.

Called a tow truck. Then called Classic Air.

Pulley came from Classic Air when I installed the A/C. Been on about 1000 miles. There was no question concerning replacement. Checked my files and said they would 2nd day it to me...no charge and I return the broken one so they can get refunded. Sounds like a typical problem.

I will install the new one but need to find a better quality unit.

unload085.jpg

unload086.jpg

Don't know what is harder to keep on the road, these old cars, or these old bodies. Good to know classic air is making the problem right.

I bought the billet aluminum pulley for my 66. I haven't put any miles on it yet but the thing looks solid. Got it from NPD for around 80 bucks.

"Dennis66stang" said:
I bought the billet aluminum pulley for my 66. I haven't put any miles on it yet but the thing looks solid. Got it from NPD for around 80 bucks.

Is that a stock size and dual belts?

No problem....just got off the phone with NPD....ordered their steel one. It comes with an extra cap over the bolt area. I will stash the Classic Air replacement as a spare or maybe call them when I get it ans see about a refund altogether......... Both will be in on Thursday.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Karma's a biotch, ain't it

:rofl :rofl :rofl

"silverblueBP" said:
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Karma's a biotch, ain't it

:rofl :rofl :rofl

$45 tow, $60 part in 2 days (the part is really free if I use the china replacement), 30 mins time.....I am back on the road. :coo It is cheap china crap....not Karma.

Cheap crap, karma......invoking a PT curse too often will come back to haunt you. Listen up dorks!

Seriously, you're lucky it didn't fubar stuff under the hood.

Yep. real lucky it didn't start flying around under there. It didn't even damage a belt. I got it home and removed the elec. fan and with just one little tug, the outer pulley was free from the center. Thinking about things, I figured about when it started acting up because the A/C comp. would kick on and off. Just thought that was based on the setting. We must have driven it at least 50 miles and 6 start ups of the engine. And it was a silent break....

That looks exactly like what happened to SacBill last year coming back from Knott's. I believe he had the Classic Air pulley as well.

Frank

It's probably me, but I can't make out the damage in the two pics (I need to find my teeth, which are sitting in some glass somewhere...they help me to see better). Anyway, when you get the replacement, take a pic of them side by side.

I had the same thing happen to me just as I was slowing down to make a turn. The cheap china brands are not reinforced like the FORD ones. Rich.

"Midlife" said:
It's probably me, but I can't make out the damage in the two pics (I need to find my teeth, which are sitting in some glass somewhere...they help me to see better). Anyway, when you get the replacement, take a pic of them side by side.

It is hard to see but in the first pic, you can see the pulley sits crooked compared to the water pump and you see very little of the mount bolts or the shaft.

The second one, look at the sharp edges around the mounting bolts plus the w/p shaft is not in the center.

Here is the removed item. Notice the piece on the side.......it should be in the big hole of the pulley. There is even a section totally missing.
unload087.jpg

"cmayna" said:
Sounds to me like if you didn't run AC, you wouldn't have such a problem?

:nta

Yea.....but then the wife.......

We didn't have the air on but for about 15 miles of the drive and it was off when things really went south.

OMG Pete! just caught on to this thread! I was/am worried about this before you had this happen! It looks like the pulley needs a washer ring to strengthen the pulley! NPD, a steel one, guess I'd better order one also! Sorry this had to happen!
dne'

Yep....the one for my '66 from NPD has a cap over the end, doubling the thickness around the holes and over the edge. I had the rep pull one and double check the piece.

I should have both the one from Classic and NPD on Thus. Will take pictures then. I will never run a thin one again.....

Back