• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

@!#$^ pulley (*&^%$^ broken

This is the pully that's on my motor now. How do I tell if it will DEFECT? Is there a difference in the strength of aluminum vs. the steel pully?

IMG_7408.jpg

The way I see it, if you drive it, it will not hold up. Mine went between 1000 and 1200 miles. I would bet that a person could get it to flex without much leverage while installed on an engine out of the car. Once it cracks, it will go fast. You will never see the crack unless you just happen to notice the pulley wobbling while the engine is idling in the garage.

If I had a normal fan, I think I would have had more damage. The belts just laid there once they came loose. They would have been in the fan. Also, with just a bit more running, the pulley would have been off. Again, with the stock fan, it may have gotten mixed up there and possible radiator damage.

The aluminum one would be thicker and most likely hold up just fine. I don't need the bling....just function.

ok, that aluminum pulley would look very nice, but I actuallly have very little aluminum, so I guess the steel should be ok with the washer cap. Pete, You wouldn't happen to have a part numbers handy? If not, surely they can help me over the phone.
nay nay

8509-2.....be sure it fits your year as it only lists the 65 but the rep said it fits numerous years.

Done deal! NPD tomorrow whether gary likes it or not! lol my lunesta is kicking myh ass, time for bed! see u tojorrow!
Love this site!such nice folks!
dne'

"AzPete" said:
If I had a normal fan, I think I would have had more damage. The belts just laid there once they came loose. They would have been in the fan. Also, with just a bit more running, the pulley would have been off. Again, with the stock fan, it may have gotten mixed up there and possible radiator damage.

That sucks Pete, glad it didnt do more damage!

I think you would've been better off with the stock fan. The spacer would've acted as a large washer giving the pulley more support. Either way, sucks the buyer is usually on bad end of cheap China crap!

"Dne'" said:
This is the pully that's on my motor now. How do I tell if it will DEFECT? Is there a difference in the strength of aluminum vs. the steel pully?

IMG_7408.jpg

As crusty mentioned, the same d@mn thing happened with my CAA pulley last year on the way back from Knotts. A few hours of McGyver'ing with Brother John, SAC69, and DEL65, and I was able to get back on the road with a replacement that fit just well enough to make it home. I went to the local Mustang scrap yard and picked up a steel replacement in less than 5 minutes.

My suggestion: REPLACE IT! Don't bother with that drawn single-piece pulley. Get the good Ford pulley with the steel cap, like Pete did.

Overall Pete, sorry to see this happen...
Certainly there could have been more damage had the fan been attached. But then the fan would have potentially provided more reinforcement to the assembly of course. The other thing that's important is that the vendor should discontinue this pulley --- certainly in applications where a fan off the waterpump is not being used....

wow.

It is a toss up as to if the fan would have helped. The hole in the pulley is almost big enough for the spacer to fit thru.

I will be discussing this with Classic once I have both the NPD unit and the Classic unit in hand to compare and take pics. Classic Air also knew I was running an electric fan and thought that was good for the cooling aspect.

Both units cost close to the same so it is not like it would cost them more for a better unit.

This happened to me about 10 years ago driving on 220/99 in PA. Fortunately my wife was following in another car, and where it occurred was less than 5 miles from a salvage yard that happened to still have some old cars. I got a perfect match Ford pulley off a 289 in a Comet or something like that, went back to the fastback and was back on the road in no time. Always kept a tool kit and spare alternator belt (advice from dad) in the trunk.

Anyhow, the pulley that failed was an original Ford one. I always assumed it happened because I had the belt too tight.

Well, got the Classic Air piece as scheduled....to bad it is the crappy one. No return label for the broken one so I guess that will be a call to see how bad they want it. No reason I should have to pay for the return of the broken one so they get their refund.....

The NPD part didn't arrive as per the sales rep. I was told for sure today.....now they say "oh, it is two days". Like I told the rep, when I asked the sales staff about the time, I would have paid for overnight....idiots everywhere I guess.

No use putting on the Classic Air part so.....broke for another day and unable to get things done I rescheduled for Fri........

Got the NPD pulley in and installed. It just feels so much better.
Classic on the left, NPD on the right.......
unload089.jpg

"gtscode" said:
Glad you got it worked out!!!

Thanks...just have to talk with Classic now and see about returning the crappy new one and getting a refund.

"AzPete" said:
Thanks...just have to talk with Classic now and see about returning the crappy new one and getting a refund.

What a waste of shipping email them your pictures!! Don't let them charge you shipping if you do have to send it in.

They said they want the broken one so they can get a refund....they give me a return authorization number but no return shipping label. Since I went with the better NPD part, I now want to return the new Chinese crap so we will see what they do on Monday. Either they refund my money and send a shipping label or they won't get anything back...........we shall see.

After calling Classic and explaining the situation, they have sent a call tag to UPS to pick up both the old and new pulley and give me a refund for the original purchase price of the pulley. Very fair in my book.

I also discussed the difference in the pulley that NPD sells. The rep said it sounds like a good deal and was familiar with the broken pulley I had. He is going to recommend to their purchasers that they get the NPD style for better customer service.

This has to have been a known problem. Since they sell both OEM and aftermarket parts, somebody there should have know the difference.

Good on them though on the customer service end and their steps to improve the product for future customers.

Part of what I see is the OEM parts seem to come from Fl, the after market from Tx. Left and right hand are not communicating....

Back