• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Question: Will this site put up with chevy engine in Mustang builds?

M-train

I ask that because there is much to do about a new build thread over at Vintage Mustangs.

I'm very opposed to those kind of threads as I consider a vintage Mustang site to be, well a place to get away from all of the chebby bull crap that you always see, and have heard since you got into the hobby.

Looks like topics like those are going to now be the norm over there, and I guess as long as they are going to be so politically correct there I guess now be Ok to have threads with how to put an import engine into vintage Mustangs.

I'm not as active in this site as I am over there since I have been a member since 2002, so I would like to know how the topics of chevy engines in vintage Mustangs is handled around here. Are they locked, or given a blessing to continue?

I'm not trying to be an a$$, or anything I'm just looking for another TRUE Ford Mustang website to call home.........thanks.

For the record the thread like chebby swaps used to be either locked, or outright pulled over at the VMF as they did cause too many problems. Also, I have no issues with posts like the one above on general auto sites like Yellowbullit as I don't really frequent sites like those very much.

As long as I have been around here this crowd tends to accept anything mustang related and then some provided there is decent detail to the work going on and above all PICTURES. The rare exception is we DO NOT TOLERATE the use of expanding foam.

All that said, a Chevy? Really? I hope it's at least a new generation engine. :whis

We have not restricted anything car related. If it does show up here, there would most likely need to be a topic to collect all the info in one area. I don't care for it......I have always thought cars should stick to their own kind with no crossbreeding but I can do respect and appreciate the work it entails.

"AzPete" said:
We have not restricted anything car related. If it does show up here, there would most likely need to be a topic to collect all the info in one area. I don't care for it......I have always thought cars should stick to their own kind with no crossbreeding but I can do respect and appreciate the work it entails.

Thanks Pete. To me its a matter of being respectful.

I would never go on a Corvette forum, and start a thread on how to put a SOHC cammer into a vette as I already know what type of response I will be getting even before I posted it.

Even though I don't care for anything gm, I wouldn't go on any gm forums to post my Ford into gm build just to get something started. And yes, if you go to a vintage car forum, and start a build thread with anything else than that brands engine you are just looking for attention, and a fight.

Also, I have an Eleanor that I built, for which everyone know is a controversial Mustang build, therefore, I don't post anything related to that car as I know it will split members down the middle, and cause undue bad feelings.

"M-train" said:
... so I would like to know how the topics of chevy engines in vintage Mustangs is handled around here. Are they locked, or given a blessing to continue?

I'm not trying to be an a$$, or anything I'm just looking for another TRUE Ford Mustang website to call home.........thanks.
so far no one has posted a Chevy engine swap into a Mustang over here but my guess is it would not be locked, banned, removed, etc. And opinions from both camps would be allowed to express their view. My posts were among those that were "pruned" or removed from VMF so again I will stay away from VMF for a while.
We have a member build section. You should look thru it. There are rat rods, Chevy trucks and a Volvo in the mix.
A lot of the members here have been banned or chastised on the VMF so they have come here because they are free to speak their mind. It's a smaller group and less active but FUN.
The site is based on Mustangs but you'll find a lot of discussion in the political section, the food section, and so on.
I've been a member of VMF a long time too but don't post much over there. On the other hand, I came over here by invitation of a start-up member and post way too much over here. Not everyone agrees but so far it has been a rare occasion for a mod to get involved in a thread and I'm not sure if any have been locked. A lot of members are like you and I, members of both sites.
I am in no way a spokesperson for this site so I could be wrong but I am guessing it would be allowed and you and others would be allowed to share your feelings about it with it being locked or deleted.

"M-train" said:
Also, I have an Eleanor that I built, for which everyone know is a controversial Mustang build, therefore, I don't post anything related to that car as I know it will split members down the middle, and cause undue bad feelings.
we have several Eleanor builds on here. And yes we get a little crap but just out of fun. This is a safe place.
I don't completly disagree with your point of view. I don't think I could evr bring myself to put a Chevy engine in a Ford but I have put Chevy valves in Ford heads, and my 72 Chevy truck has some Mustang parts on it.
Also I strongly believe the guy who started the post is genuine and not a troll or looking for a fight. he has not posted any negative comments or shown any "attitude".

I think putting a Chebby engine into a Mustang should be considered a Federal crime. But hey that's just my opinion. Everybody has their own. As far as post locking or deleting ?? I don't see it. Many various comments would follow, but no locking or deletion IMO.

I just did a quick survey of the build threads. There is a 68 Volvo, Studebaker, 59 Apache, Toyota Tundra 2wd to 4wd, and J's Rat Rod which is a GMC with a Ford engine. None have been locked or deleted.

I am also a member of a Chevy truck forum. JRanger is also and he has a thread on his Mustang on the Chevy truck forum and he gets a lot of compliments. I know it's not a Chevy with a Ford engine but it is a Ford on a Chevy forum.

one more point and I will shut up, The 67-72Chevytruck.com site has a subsection for diesel conversions which has a lot of threads on Cummins and Dodge components being used in the 67-72 Chevy trucks. It's not at all disrespectful or a problem. It's excepted and a lot of interest is showed. So I think a lot of what you are worried about is the "attitude" of the poster. The Ford vs. Chevy BS is annoying and the attitudes of trolls who just want a fight is non-sense but that thread on VMF was not one of those situations.

this place is different. yes, it is a "mustang" forum & that's what brought us together, but I think it is more of a "friendship" forum. all the regular, long term members seem to have the attitude that while mustangs brought us together, there is much more to each other's lives than cars. a member posts up about a death in the family, we all hurt. someone else has a baby or a child that graduates college, we all celebrate. I think if mustangs were taken out of the equation all together, the core group would survive based on the true life friendships that have been made & nobody would get bored. there would be plenty of conversations about whats in the smoker/on the grill, who accomplished a certain goal, what someone found in their shorts, etc.

I know if I sell my mustang, I'm not going anywhere, you guys are stuck with me... :hide

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
this place is different. yes, it is a "mustang" forum & that's what brought us together, but I think it is more of a "friendship" forum. all the regular, long term members seem to have the attitude that while mustangs brought us together, there is much more to each other's lives than cars. a member posts up about a death in the family, we all hurt. someone else has a baby or a child that graduates college, we all celebrate. I think if mustangs were taken out of the equation all together, the core group would survive based on the true life friendships that have been made & nobody would get bored. there would be plenty of conversations about whats in the smoker/on the grill, who accomplished a certain goal, what someone found in their shorts, etc.

I know if I sell my mustang, I'm not going anywhere, you guys are stuck with me... :hide
well said Steve

sorry I said I would shut up... :hide

"tarafied1" said:
one more point and I will shut up, The 67-72Chevytruck.com site has a subsection for diesel conversions which has a lot of threads on Cummins and Dodge components being used in the 67-72 Chevy trucks. It's not at all disrespectful or a problem. It's excepted and a lot of interest is showed. So I think a lot of what you are worried about is the "attitude" of the poster. The Ford vs. Chevy BS is annoying and the attitudes of trolls who just want a fight is non-sense but that thread on VMF was not one of those situations.

I have to disagree on that. At one point he did say he wanted to piss people off then edited it out.

Like I said anyone who posts a topic like that is looking to start something no matter how nice they present it.

How about a post on banning guns on a gun forum? Same thing, anyone posting something such as that is just asking for drama, no matter how nicely they say it.

You've also got to account that the Mustang is an iconic car, and does stand for something in the hearts of some of us, in a country that for the most part don't stand for much of anything anymore.

I get what your saying. I bleed ford Blue. I have a Mustang tattoo, I have 3 Mustangs right now and have owned so many I lost count. Beside my real Mustangs I have thousands of Mustang collectibles, signs and parts.
I know where you are coming from.
I didn't see his comment about pissing people off but if you read his comments and the fact he edited it out shows some consideration for others.
It is NOT the same as posting banning guns on a gun site. He is modifying a car and using something other than a Ford engine. Many of us have used something other than Ford parts on our modified cars. Yes the engine is kind of like the heart and yes it can be a sensitive topic on a Ford site. But you don't have to read about it. You can ignore that thread. I'm not trying to change your conviction. I admire it as a matter of fact. I don't think you are wrong for your point of view. I just don't think as long as it remains civil that it should be locked or removed.

To me the important part is the car not the engine.
If its a Mustang forum, then the build is about a Mustang body with an engine in it, not any old body with a Mustang engine.
There is a widely discussed build in OZ where a 3rd rate TV star (Koshie) wanted an ultra reliable daily driver Mustang.
He started with a dynacorn body, so it became an ICV (Individually Constructed Vehicle), which meant he had to have a modern engine with all the required pollution controls.
His choices in a V8 were the Chev LS engine from a late model Commodore or a 5.4 Boss engine from a late Falcon.
The Boss doesnt fit between the Mustang shock towers, so he ended up with a choice of 1.
I dont have a problem with it but the bogans rant on like he commited a mortal sin.
As long as its Ford, GM or Chrysler i dont care.

Back