• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Question: Will this site put up with chevy engine in Mustang builds?

So how do you all think about putting a Ford engine into something like a vette? Or, how do you think such a build would be received there?

Same for a Dodge Hemi Challenger, with someone doing a chebby swap in a Mopar forum? What purpose would it serve, and how would it be received?

Like I said over there, I considered a ls motor in mine. I'm not diehard branded like some. In fact before my fastback, I was a Chevy guy. Heck in alot of ways I still am. In my driveway now is a Chevy Silverado, Caddy CTS, and Pontiac Sunfire :hide Heck, what's not to love about a 55-7 Chevy, 67-8 Camaro, 66-7 Chevelle. I love em all. But, I will say, owning a Mustang does something to a man. All my knowledge know is Ford blue now :thum

Bill

I like muscle cars Ford Chevy or Chrysler..don't matter which. By the way I also own a Corvette great driving machine

"M-train" said:
So how do you all think about putting a Ford engine into something like a vette? Or, how do you think such a build would be received there?

Same for a Dodge Hemi Challenger, with someone doing a chebby swap in a Mopar forum? What purpose would it serve, and how would it be received?
there are Chevy sites where people swap in "other" motors. I just pointed out one to you. The 67-72Chevytruck.com has a sub forum for swapping in Dodge Cummins and related componants into Chevy trucks. It is so common that there is a sub forum in the engine/drivetrain section. No one is mad over there.
Now I agree if you go on a Vette forum and talk about putting the wrong year Chevy part you might get banned but Mustang purists are the same way. If the attitude of the poster is to stir trouble than it doesn't matter what they post. It would be wrong. But let's say I have a question on my 72 Chevy truck and it involves using a Ford part, I will post it on the Chevy truck forum if I think they can help me with some aspect of the swap. If on the other hand I go on there bragging about how I have to use a Ford part on my Chevy to get it running I might be looking for a fight.

"Fst Blk" said:
... I was a Chevy guy. Heck in alot of ways I still am. In my driveway now is a Chevy Silverado, Caddy CTS, and Pontiac Sunfire :hide Heck, what's not to love about a 55-7 Chevy, 67-8 Camaro, 66-7 Chevelle. I love em all. ....
Bill
hey you are pushing the limit there buddy! :chair

I'm so Ford blue I hate to admit the LS motor and Cummins Diesel are some of the best available but the fact of the matter is they are good designs. You asked what purpose would it serve? The fact that they put the LS motor in everything and they make wicked power really easily is why people do it. The purpose of sharing it is the same any of us share our stuff. We are proud of it and want to share and maybe we have questions other can help with.
As I keep saying it all depends on the attitude of the poster.
We have a member on here that doesn't post much but he is up in Louisville KY. He hangs with some guys that are diehard Ford guys and they have a Ford powered Chevy they take to car shows. If I can find a picture of it I will share it. But my point is whether we agree or not, it's interesting and as long as he isn't being an A-hole then I think it's okay to share it.

"tarafied1" said:
"Fst Blk" said:
... I was a Chevy guy. Heck in alot of ways I still am. In my driveway now is a Chevy Silverado, Caddy CTS, and Pontiac Sunfire :hide Heck, what's not to love about a 55-7 Chevy, 67-8 Camaro, 66-7 Chevelle. I love em all. ....
Bill

Sorry dad :rr

Bill

"Fst Blk" said:
"tarafied1" said:
"Fst Blk" said:
Bill

Sorry dad :rr

Bill
:thum

Maybe its just me but I see nothing wrong with putting a Corvair flat six in a Mustang. :yah A sort of retro BRZ????

I like cars. Don't matter what the bran. All have stinkers and all have nice ones. :pbj

But please no talk about boiled peanuts. :barf

I want to do a SMF Camaro.... If I actually get to do it, I will start a build thread here. I don't like to mix and match, but I just can't resist this one. To me it reduces the value of the car.

I also think there is no difference in this and installing a SMF in a Volvo which is being done quite well on here I might add! i would hate to miss out on the great skills and craftsmanship by banning such things.

A Chebby in a Ford is not my cup of tea, but if it floats your boat, then go for it.

Mel

"Teebone" said:
I like muscle cars Ford Chevy or Chrysler..don't matter which. By the way I also own a Corvette great driving machine
I agree Vinny...I Love Ford muscle cars and appreciate all other makes of muscle car....just don't mix'em up.

I personally don't see the point in put ting a Chevy engine in a Ford, but I don't see any reason why it should be a huge controversy. Rat rods and hot rods mix and match engines all the time. The LS swaps seem to be very popular right now. There are guys on my Infiniti forum putting them in g35s. No one has a problem with it. Im not Ford loyal. I love the mustang, but wouldn't put a Chevy engine it. But if I got my hands on a nice classic Volvo, I'd think nothing of throwing in a different brand motor.

I think everyone on here is pretty great about each others ideas and projects. I'm sure there are many people who hate the idea of me or anyone else putting a modern efi motor in a classic mustang, but it's all about personal preference.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Back in 2000 before had my Mustang, I had the 5.0 HO / T5 sitting in my garage waiting for a project car. My '65 El Camino had a worn out chevy 350. At the time, I didn't really have the money to rebuild the 350 and for a short time, contemplated installing the 5.0 / T5 into the El Camino. I thought it would be interesting to have a Ford powered Chevy since the opposite is pretty common in Ford street rods. In the end, I'm glad I didn't do the swap, but would have no issue with someone doing it especially if they were merely trying to use up what they had available.

It seems to me that today, the small block ford options are as plentiful as small block chevy options... It doesn't really seem to make sense to cross breed too much given all the available options, hence why you probably don't see it too often. My thinking is that Chevy had a good 7-8 year head start on the small block before Ford really got their Windsor program going and is probably why the SBC became the engine of choice for many hot rodders especially with the aftermarket parts options. Seeing a small block Chevy in a Mustang really wouldn't impress me much since they pretty much show up in everything else. If you want to be different, then pick something a little less mainstream.

"tarafied1" said:
"M-train" said:

there are Chevy sites where people swap in "other" motors. I just pointed out one to you. The 67-72Chevytruck.com has a sub forum for swapping in Dodge Cummins and related componants into Chevy trucks. It is so common that there is a sub forum in the engine/drivetrain section. No one is mad over there.
Now I agree if you go on a Vette forum and talk about putting the wrong year Chevy part you might get banned but Mustang purists are the same way. If the attitude of the poster is to stir trouble than it doesn't matter what they post. It would be wrong. But let's say I have a question on my 72 Chevy truck and it involves using a Ford part, I will post it on the Chevy truck forum if I think they can help me with some aspect of the swap. If on the other hand I go on there bragging about how I have to use a Ford part on my Chevy to get it running I might be looking for a fight.

Talking about truck swapping engines is way different than swapping a Ford engine into a vette, or camero. Also, you wasn't talking about swapping a FORD engine into the chebby truck either, you spoke about a Cummings engine, not the same.

Like I said before in the VMF thread its mostly two things that are REALLY the reason for the chebby swap, and those are:

1. Ignorance. As my daddy, and every other redneck is doing it. Ignorance to the fact there are very good Ford engines out there. In fact Ford has been domination the EMC for years now, but for some reason, once again, chebby guys just don't want to see it.

2. To piss off Ford guys. That is just plain ol arrogance. That is the real reason they do this, as in today's world you can build a comparable Ford engine about a cheap as a chebby, not to mention you will have to buy lots of special parts for the chebby drivetrain.

Also, chebby guys like to ride the fence. They claim to be chebby guys, but if your into cross dressing engines your really not either Ford, or chebby. I mean chebby guys really like the Mustang, but the only way they can justify owning one to their chebby friends is to put a chebby engine in it. Again this is just ignorance.

Also, like I mentioned before, this seems to be a chebby thing as most other car enthusiast don't swap engines of another brand into a different brand body.

I just got a 427 Cobra a few months ago, and my backwoods neighbor was telling me that he would love to own one so he could put a chebby engine in it just to piss off the Ford guys.

Truth is... stock SBF engines suck compared to the performance of a stock LSx engine. Stock sbf never has had a head that would flow anywhere near 250cfm whereas the LSx engines can flow 300cfm easily. Availability and budget make the LSx engines a perfect choice. It takes a serious build with a sbf engine to match that stock performance. Sad but true and that's why you see the LSx making it's way into all applications.

I understand your point, but for the average enthusiast the LSx provides some much more versatility than any other engine platform out there. And that is why they are permeating the Ford platform. Bang for buck, can't beat a LSx.

Bill

Getting back to his basic question...no there wouldn't be name calling or bashing here....as you can see here we have a good discussion about all of the aspects but I can say the great folks here wouldn't go bashing a good car. As was said the practice might devalue the car's worth or our desire for what was done but as is our motto....hey its your car. Do what you want.

If I find anyone posting about installing a cheby engine in a vintage Mustang then I will find a pic of said person and photoshop their head on to a woman with an apron wanting to make a sandwich.

Wait that has been done before...

j/k

fd

Back