• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

R15 Tires

"hivewax" said:
i'll have to talk to Scott and see what pads are being shipped.

I would bet it's the R4S pads, the R4's are for track and take some heat to work at their best. The street pads are OK when cold, but do a few hard stops in them to give them some heat and they'll stop you pretty fast!!

Make sure you bed them in properly, they are a bit different then OTC pads.

just talked to Scott, and yes, the brake pads are R4S. thanx for the heads up. by bed, do you mean doing a few hard stops?

and finally, the big crate is being shipped today!! been on hold for close to a month.

wow, never knew about bedding brakes until now. thanx!

just hope everything bolts up easy... especially 2-piece 15" wheels over 12" rotors, so i can bed the brakes on an isolated long road.

Honest officer, I am bedding my brake pads....see you in court

Honest judge, I was bedding my brake pads.....off to jail

Hey Mid....I'm here for bedding my brake pads, what did you bed?.....DO WHAT!!!!!

"AzPete" said:
Honest officer, I am bedding my brake pads....see you in court

Honest judge, I was bedding my brake pads.....off to jail

Hey Mid....I'm here for bedding my brake pads, what did you bed?.....DO WHAT!!!!!

Where's your sense of adventure :hide

here's a scenario, your bedding your brakes and a cop lights you up before finishing the process... would you stop or keep going to complete bedding process?

"hivewax" said:
here's a scenario, your bedding your brakes and a cop lights you up before finishing the process... would you stop or keep going to complete bedding process?

Have the bedding procedure with you in the car, pull over and hand it to him. Sign the ticket and continue bedding the brakes.

Then again, I live in a place where that would never happen......gotta love small town living.

"silverblueBP" said:
I always stick with the same size tires and wheels, good for rotating.

I went with different sizes F to R. Though I find now the rears get a lot more rotating than the fronts do... :pep

"70_Fastback" said:
I went with different sizes F to R. Though I find now the rears get a lot more rotating than the fronts do... :pep

You know, if I was just street driving I'd probably do the same!

just arrived! :cool

and, anybody heard of Nankang tires... what do you think about them? i have a local tire race dealer selling them and a friend has 'em w/no complaints... :conf

EDIT: Nankang is made in Taiwan

Sexy rims:D

I wouldn't touch Nankang. I used to sell tires, so I've seen more tires on and off vehicles than most people will in their lifetime. With tires, you get what you pay for. I would never put an off-brand tire on a car I owned unless it was an emergency. I certainly wouldn't put one on my '67. IMO, Nankang tires are pieces of crap.

I've found that Michelin/BFG (same company) has by far the best quality control out of all the tire companies, at least for their middle and higher end tires. They also make really, really good tires. Michelins for ride quality, all-weather traction, low-noise, and sporty handling depending on the tire. BFG's for more cost effective touring tires, cost effective sporty tires, and cost effective performance tires. They may not ride quite as smooth or quiet as Michelins, but they'll handle as well or better, are more affordable, and have the same quality control. Michelin makes really nice performance tires as well, but they're too expensive to be worthwhile, IMO.

Goodyear used to have good QC, but they've gone downhill in the last 10 years. That said, they still make some really good tires, especially supercar performance tires, you just have to make sure they're not defective while mounting them. We shod my roommate's old '97 T/A WS6 with Eagle F1 GS-D3's and we were not sorry. Those things stuck to the road like glue, and even did fairly well in the rain. We did get a couple defects in the second set, including one tire that actually had a crease in the belts at the tread, but Tire Rack replaced them without any problems.

Bridgestone makes some good mid-range sport and high end performance tires, and QC seems decent. I'm not a big fan of Pirelli, but they do make good supercar performance tires.

Kumho and Sumitomo performance tires are actually decent for the money. They won't be quite as nice as BFG's or Goodyears, but for the price you pay, they're essentially expendable. I had a couple customers with late model Mustang GT's that would put Sumotomo HTR +'s or Kumho Ecsta ASX's on their cars and absolutely thrash them, then come back and do it again.

Falken and Toyo make some good sport and performance tires. A level above Kumho and Sumitomo usually, but still very affordable. I'd put them on an import car if I had one, but not on a classic.

thanx. i'm thinking about keeping it old school and ditchin' the center hub covers. okie-dokie, i'll stay away from Nankang.

Those are sweet lookin wheels. I like the center caps too!

"hivewax" said:
i would of liked to get PSE 1-piece wheels, but he was out of stock. 2-pieces are not as strong.

I like those center caps too! Let me know if you don't think you will use them... :conf

"hivewax" said:
i would of liked to get PSE 1-piece wheels, but he was out of stock. 2-pieces are not as strong.

Yeah, but since you won't be tracking the car (poke), it shouldn't be a problem.

"silverblueBP" said:
Yeah, but since you won't be tracking the car (poke), it shouldn't be a problem.

i'll just have to steal your wheels/tires when you're not looking sitting in front of the 'puter... :naug

Back