• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

roller spring perch/uca ?

Stock is just fine for now

Thank you! :wor I understood the entire tech writeup! :dumas I'll just cut my springs for now! When I get back from the eye doctor, I"m going to cut half a coil off my springs. It'd be much easier now than when all together. I really dislike compressing springs, I feel like I'm defusing a bomb that could go off in my face!

"Fast68back" said:

Post cutting of springs

I took the first spring out, and 1/2 a coil just didn't seem like enough, so I did a 3/4 of a coil cut. I'm amazed how tough the spring material is! My Cut off tool worked very well. I forgot to do an initial measurement, but before I did the passenger side, it started with 34.75"(measuring from the top of the radiator support) and ended with 33.5". I'll leave it there and maybe with the added weight of the radiator, alt, compressor, hood, me, Gary, maybe it will settle some. I did loosen the LCA bolts(eccentric)camber adjusting nuts and bounced on the car best I could, then retightned. I've had enough for today! I do really like my Snap-on coil spring compressor!
PS: thanks for everyone's advice! :wor!!
dne'
IMG_8228.jpg

IMG_8232.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll be pretty close to where you want to be. Here is mine before it went to the body/paint shop, no drivetrain, etc

OK! What springs do you have on the rear? I do want the rear of my stang higher than the front. Maybe air shocks for just a little lift? I'm tenacios :taz!
dne'

"Fast68back" said:
I think you'll be pretty close to where you want to be. Here is mine before it went to the body/paint shop, no drivetrain, etc

I have 5 leaf standard eye springs. Probably stiffer than I needed, I just recalled my first FB lacking in the rear suspension. Stay away from the air shocks.........

Re: Good ideas!

"Sportbikechick" said:
I would like to mention that I did drill the holes for the Shelby drop, but Bruce at Surefirerestoration advised that I didn't need to do that, so right now the UCA's are in the original holes. Should I use the Shelby drop or not?
Yes. I'm sorry, but if "Bruce" really told you that, he doesn't know anything about it.

The drop will fix the crappy stock suspension geometry (which is based on a Falcon, a family sedan) and give you negative camber while cornering, keeping the tires flatter on the road at all times. This is especially important with radial tires.

The effect is akin to adding a stiffer sway bar, but without the increased ride harshness. It improves front end grip and reduces body roll. There is no downside to a 1" UCA drop.

Re: Good ideas!

THank you Starfury :wor! And thank you for the simple explanation of the Shelby drop's benefit(plus I'll get another .5" lowering of the body of my stang! I bet I can drop those arms within an hour now! I'll be back!
dne'

"Starfury" said:
Yes. I'm sorry, but if "Bruce" really told you that, he doesn't know anything about it.

The drop will fix the crappy stock suspension geometry (which is based on a Falcon, a family sedan) and give you negative camber while cornering, keeping the tires flatter on the road at all times. This is especially important with radial tires.

The effect is akin to adding a stiffer sway bar, but without the increased ride harshness. It improves front end grip and reduces body roll. There is no downside to a 1" UCA drop.

I don't know if you'll get 1/2". I'd bet more on 3/8". I have 1" drop 540's, roller perches, and the Shelby drop, and my front end still sits a bit higher than I'd like. It's definitely dropped from stock, but I may still need to cut 1/2 a coil.

after shelby drop

HI Rusty! I went looking for your posts on here yesterday wondering where you have been!
Rick, the motor is in and bolted up! :pep, I didn't tighten the bolts as I may have to lift the motor up a bit to get the long tuber headers in(a couple weeks worth of waiting!:( But I'm really really happy! but to be honest, by putting the frame mounts side by side, I couldn't really see the difference, ( I did use my motor(rubber)mounts), but they went in just fine! Whatever the reason, I'm happy! :pep
Meanwhile, back in Batgirls cave :doh~~
IMG_8228.jpg

IMG_8232.jpg

A while back I had drilled the holes for the Shelby drop and didn't use the holes until today thanks to Starfury's nudge! So: measuring from top of radiator support, fenders/hood off.
Stock springs- 34.75"
3/4" of spring removed _ 33.5"
Shelby drop - 31.5" (I had to go out and remeasure to confirm)
IMG_8235.jpg

Shelby drop and photo

IMG_8236.jpg

notice how flat the UCA is now.
IMG_8233.jpg

Back