• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Seat swap....

AzPete

The '04 Mustang GT seats I ordered finally got here late this afternoon. Was not going to mess with them but,,,,,,just cannot leave thing sit. Sorry about the focus, it was a long afternoon. The rear seats will go in later....like I did the last car....
Got the full set, front and rear....
unload036.jpg

Removed this power and original manual from them.,,
unload035.jpg

Bolted the '66 Mustang rails in place. Had to drill the rear hole for the passenger seat rails...it is a pretty straight forward fit as the seat base is pretty flat....
unload033.jpg

On the drivers side, the power unit causes the base to be a different shape. I had to cut a notch for the '66 rail slide latches to set down into. Not a big deal. Then, after drilling the holes for the rear bolts, I had to use some spacers between the rails and the seat base. The wiring left there is for the lumbar sup[port and it will eventually get power provided....
unload034.jpg

Now, my back is shot again, I am tired and sweaty so this last pic was dark and I am not going out to shot another. This has the drivers seat in from the '04 and the passenger seat is the Corbeau.....
unload037.jpg

Will add a shot of them both installed tomorrow. They are much better seats for my wife and I. Her medical problems and the fact that the seat bolstering does not fit my bolstering makes for a poor ride. Now it is sweet.

The Corbeau seats will be up for sale.

I would let the power rack go for a few bucks over shipping costs. If wanted....well, this is not the place.....

Just in time! I hated straddling the Corbeau seat bolsters while working in the dash area. My arse may be big, fat, and wide, but it ain't made for a stiff bolster.

I like those '04 seats! :10 Am I understanding it right... you're also going to put '04 back seats in too? They fit in classic stangs??

Damn you guys. I keep getting all these idea's for my 66. :headac

Yes, I will use the backs....these are out of a Coupe so they fold forward 1/2 at a time. Nice for carrying odd items or letting the kids get fresh air in the trunk.....lol I did the same to my '66 I just sold using '06 V6 leather seats. http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,1511.0.html , http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,1983.0.html

I will have to trim the top from the rear seat back frame and notch it just a bit to slide down over the factory hangers. The bottom of the back will have to have holes drilled into the inner wheel well for the lower anchor bolts. The base just sits in place and needs a front panel built to lock it into place.

I am thinking of a different way to fill the gaps on the side this time. Ideas??????

:ecit I like that look of the back seats. As for filling in gaps.. my first idea was what you did previously. What about possibly doing some wood work and cutting and shaping some wood to fit in there, and cover it with black leatherish looking fabric from a fabric store (with some batting in between the wood and fabric to give it a cushion feel).

I am thinking of a pretty solid foam covered for a close match to the seats. Gotta think on this one but the last one did work good. Just have to locate another set of rear panels cheap.....

"AzPete" said:
I am thinking of a pretty solid foam covered for a close match to the seats. Gotta think on this one but the last one did work good. Just have to locate another set of rear panels cheap.....
are the 67/68 rear panels the same as a 66? If so I have some you can have for just the cost of shipping...

Sounds good. All I really need would be about a 6" strip from the edge next to the seat back itself. Would be easier and cheaper to ship a smaller unit.

"AzPete" said:
Sounds good. All I really need would be about a 6" strip from the edge next to the seat back itself. Would be easier and cheaper to ship a smaller unit.
I can cut 'em...

Yep....same panel. Cut them at the corner....4 -5 ". You can see by my previous thread how much I really use... pm me if you need my address....
after.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the '65/'66 panels are nearly identical to the '67/'68 ones, with only minor differences that won't matter for your purposes.

Frank

the vinyl rear quarter upolstery panels used in convertibles might cover all of that nicely and there should be plenty of extra room to wrap it around that extra spacer. THey are already sewn together and shaped in all of the right places, but they do cover the molded arm rest that is part of the rear quarter panel in verts. I dont know if the coupe quarter trim panels are the same as a coupe. I have an extra set if you want them. PM me.

Kevin

"AzPete" said:
What do you want for them and what color? The armrest may solve the lower seat gap to.

Pm sent. I will send them gratis. (for the benefit of Sluggo, that means Free.) They are black. Keep in mind that these are the vinyl covers that cover the main quarter trim and the L shaped convertible quarter trim panels that form the arm rest where the ashtray mounts. Look at the vert section of any parts catalogue to see what I mean. I could measure the space between the armrests at seat height once I get back to Texas if you want me to.

"ko67" said:
Pm sent. I will send them gratis. (for the benefit of Sluggo, that means Free.)

Actually, it means "as a kindness". Free is a bit of a English bastardization.

Almost forgot to add a clear finished picture of the fronts installed. Much better for us....especially for the wife and her leg/back issues. She enjoys riding in it now. You can see a bit of wear on the drivers seat but they all get that after a short time it seems. All things considered, we are happy. The rear conversion will take a while since I am not rushed. Got other priorities on the car first.
unload039.jpg

Back