• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Selene/Fred is a San Jose built 1965 Mustang

"70_Fastback" said:
Man, there has to be a metal retailer some where near you. Where did you get your other steel to practice on?

LoL! I used the battery apron I bought for the patch that I ended up cutting up and not using, used a LS front floor pan, and lately I have been cutting up pieces of bed frame for practicing the thicker stuff.

Edit: Just got a text from Craig, spoke with Alan at Alan steel and got a quote for what I need in 16ga and it looks like 37 dollars plus tax. Not too bad.

"B67FSTB" said:
You can take Fred's roof. :roll :roll

This way your bench is ready and have a convertible on top of this. :stu

I was thinking Fred's old hood when I read your post Bruno.

So, got off a little early and finished up the workbench with some 5/8 particle board.

b24e5894.jpg

Just finished picking up a nice 2' by 3.5' 11GA piece of MS plate for Sundays welding lesson. Oh yeah.

You going to treat it with fire retardant for you guys and the welder???????? My Dad welded as a living and if it could burn and was within 50 feet of him, he could get it to light....lol

"abrahamfh" said:
Thanks guys, plywood I can find locally no problem, kind of clueless on where to find sheet metal.
Look for a sheet metal shop, that does fabrication, ductwork, etc... chances are you'll be able to pick up some "drops" for not too much money. If they have to cut from a full sheet, they'll typically charge a little more than cutting a piece from thier scrap or drop pile. Home Depot sell thin low carbon stock in smaller sizes at premium prices. If you want to give it a finished look, have them fold the edges 90', then you can weld and dress the corners with your new welding & grinding skilz... :beer

Are your lungs OK after running up the stairs or did you leave your legs up there :stu

Yes , It is a very nice and noble event and people who can do it , just have to do this.Its too important !!

Small update for Fred but huge accomplishment for me thanks to the welding education John(Opentracker) from http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com was able to so generously provide me.

Ignore the welds on the top and near the holes for the upper control arms, still need to remove those and re-weld them with the new knowledge John hit me up with.
Setup plenty of vertical practice welds so I knew what to expect before welding on Fred which helped a lot. Still working on some of my hand stability issues but it's getting there. Welds are not super pretty but they are really really biting into the material(I know now what to look for, :thu THANKS John).

IMG_3586.jpg

Just in case, I am really enjoying using the start stop technique and like the way it looks, so I think I will be using it throughout Fred where I can.

Back