• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Selene/Fred is a San Jose built 1965 Mustang

Thanks to the group brainstorming session we had in Moss Landing Fred is finally mobile with the help of Craig's wheel dollies.

5d5e8b0a.jpg

Very nice Abe. Fred has come a very long way.

I have really got to get some Mustang time!

It will happen soon, very soon!

Mel

I have been practicing my butt welding and it has been getting through pretty well, so I figured I would start on some cracks near the rear shock access holes.

8cfae0e5.jpg

84e33366.jpg

9b3c9f5b.jpg

e7ee60c3.jpg

dd5bdf55.jpg

77a29e4b.jpg

000cb8c2.jpg

The penetration

e8b6fedd.jpg

b3c316d0.jpg

In one of those pictures it looks like the crack extends beyond your weld. You should hit it a little more and get all the crack welded.

That's some of my very limited knowledge of welding. Great work! :bowdown

Frank

I usually stop drill cracks like those too. Then weld it closed. This just gives another measure so it will not continue to crack.

"AzPete" said:
I usually stop drill cracks like those too. Then weld it closed. This just gives another measure so it will not continue to crack.

Could you elaborate a little more on the "stop drill cracks" for me Pete.

Drill a hole at the end of the crack just beyond where it ends and THEN weld it all up!

"abrahamfh" said:
There is a term called "propagation" used to describe the act of, in this case a crack, continuing it's progression. Drilling the hole at the end of the crack essentially ceases this from being able to occur. A new crack would have to form on the other side of the drilled hole in order for it to progress. If you ever have a crack show up in a drywall seam or plaster wall the first part of the repair is to actually carve out a bit of material ahead of the crack to prevent it from getting bigger. Same deal.

For an at home demonstration, tear a piece of paper a few inches inches and then use a hole punch to punch a hole directly over and encompassing the end of the tear, making sure that the end of the tear was cut out with the punch. Next, create a similar tear in another piece of paper but don't use the hole punch. Now, pick up each piece of paper as before when you were tearing them and try to extend the tear. Doing as Pete suggested does the same thing to the crack in the steel.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands right now. I'm enjoying a very rare quiet Friday afternoon.

"abrahamfh" said:

No......I will not even attempt to "elaborate" more than a certain someone did.......lol

Dang city folks have to get all detailed in their responses and make the rest of us look like knuckle draggers :char

"silverblueBP" said:
Dang city folks have to get all detailed in their responses and make the rest of us look like knuckle draggers :char
I've been called a lot of things but city folk surely wasn't one of them. Not sure how to take that one. :shrug

You know, city folks...schooled college intellects that use big words and answer in well thought out sentences with proper punctuation.

:yah

"silverblueBP" said:
You know, city folks...schooled college intellects that use big words and answer in well thought out sentences with proper punctuation.

:yah
Please. I was lucky to make it through HS. I do, however, love me some punctuation!

"silverblueBP" said:
WOW, talk about real time updates, very nice Abe-a-son :thu

Had the day off for this weekends Sea Otter classic in Monterey but unfortunately wont be able to make it, so I am in the garage working on Fred. I'll be heading over to Craig's in a bit, he is giving my bike a good diagnostic check up.

Plug welding some holes I created with the spot weld cutter when I was cutting out the welds for the floor pan removal.

Your welding and grinding abilities have improved dramatically over the past few weeks. Kat: you paying attention?

Back