• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Selene/Fred is a San Jose built 1965 Mustang

"daveSanborn" said:
Abe, You can pickup a "loan a tool" steering wheel puller from most of the DIY auto parts stores.... and yes, the generic bolts that come with these kits never seem to be the correct size for these cars.

Personally, I wouldn't be hitting with a hammer a nice condition steering wheel that I planned on re-using.

Thanks for the tip Dave, you are correct sir, it looks like the local AutoZone has a tool loaner program, kind of neat.

I will admit that it felt very wrong attacking that nice steering wheel with the mallet. I am pretty sure I will be going with a wood grain wheel, but none the less, still felt wrong.

When I took my wheel off, it was a royal PITA too. I used a steering wheel/balancer puller, but it took a lot of pressure to break it loose. I had to use a 1/2" drive ratchet with a pipe on it. When it did break loose, it sounded like a gun shot...scared the shart out of me.

"monkeystash" said:
When I took my wheel off, it was a royal PITA too. I used a steering wheel/balancer puller, but it took a lot of pressure to break it loose. I had to use a 1/2" drive ratchet with a pipe on it. When it did break loose, it sounded like a gun shot...scared the shart out of me.

That sounds serious. As much as I can say that I was annoyed it didn't just come off with a few tugs or whacks of the rubber mallet, I guess I'm lucky that it really didn't take much effort or time once I used the puller.

Some progress the last couple of days. I have been tired but happy that things are getting done. Slowly but they are getting done.

I was able to remove the steering wheel off, after no luck with the mallet, Craig was kind enough to lend me his steering wheel puller which got the job done way faster than I could have ever imagined.

steeringcolumnwithSWremoved.jpg

Details on the steps taken to remove the steering wheel can be found by following the link below.
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,8621.0.html

Tonight I was able to remove the light switch from the dash.

IMG_7705.jpg

Details on the steps taken to remove the light switch can be found by following the link below.
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,8691.0.html

I was also able to remove the wiper switch, a lot more of a PITA than the light switch but, I got her done.

IMG_7748.jpg

Details on the steps taken to remove the wiper switch can be found by following the link below.
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,8692.0.html

Time to go get some sleep. Tomorrow is hump day and I plan on making the best of it. LoL :naug

the interior dosent look that bad. a whole lot of alcohol and towels will clean alot of it up if you dont want to hit it with a pressure washer

"fordrule" said:
the interior dosent look that bad. a whole lot of alcohol and towels will clean alot of it up if you dont want to hit it with a pressure washer

What kind of alcohol are we talking about? After about fifteen shots the car looks like its ready for a show. LoL

Really though, I was thinking about wire wheeling the floor to try and get it a little cleaned up, but what do you do after? Hit it with some rattle can primer? Some Zero Rust? I still need to do repairs on the floor but can the repairs be done after the wire wheel and primer/rust preventative has been done?

is it rust or crud.. isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and green pads..wire wheel will take any paint or protection thats on the floor. but if that happens get some treatment and primer on it.

Tuesday night was going to be a very productive night for me, so I thought! LoL I started removing the Steering Column and got to the point where I realized I needed a Pitman Arm puller AKA a puller tool. The first half of the process went by fairly quickly, I was really surprised.

IMG_7748.jpg

IMG_7789.jpg

IMG_7791.jpg

I was happy with what I had accomplished the night before but a little annoyed. As soon as I got off work on Wednesday I stopped by my local AutoZone and picked the puller tool. Whoraw, I was excited to finish what I had started the night before, I really don't like leaving tasks half done. It all went really smoothly other than the shotgun sound that freaked me out when the Pitman Arm finally decided to break its 40 year bond.

IMG_7774.jpg

IMG_7793.jpg

IMG_7797.jpg

IMG_7806.jpg

IMG_7807.jpg

The step by step write up will be coming most likely on Sunday late morning/early afternoon in the Tech Articles board.

"fordrule" said:
is it rust or crud.. isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and green pads..wire wheel will take any paint or protection thats on the floor. but if that happens get some treatment and primer on it.

I think its a mix of both. :hide :doh :roulette

u might need to just sand/media blast and see what is salvageable underneath..and just cut and reweld in pans man.. my body guy just treated mine and fiberglassed over..I was 16 so now i know more and dreading looking under mine. we got taken big time on out body guy.. :beat

Yesterday I was able to get back to work on Fred and all went pretty well. I had to pause a couple of times and just stare at the task at hand until the light bulb upstairs went on and guided me with what to do.

I was able to remove the brake and clutch pedal assembly. Wuwhoo! I have been waiting for that for like two weeks already.

IMG_7807.jpg

IMG_7815.jpg

I switched over to the passenger side after I removed the brake clutch pedal assembly and removed the heater core. That was fun. It was actually pretty easy.

IMG_7819.jpg

IMG_7821.jpg

IMG_7823.jpg

Went back to the drivers side and removed the cowel vent control thingy(LoL).

IMG_7827.jpg

IMG_7828.jpg

This was followed by the removal of the emergency brake lever.

IMG_7839.jpg

Forgot to take the after picture. My BAD! I would really like to wrap up removal of the temp control unit and the AM radio by tomorrow night. Any tips or suggestions would be great, thanks everyone.

"abrahamfh" said:
I would really like to wrap up removal of the temp control unit and the AM radio by tomorrow night. Any tips or suggestions would be great, thanks everyone.

Yep...one tip.....just remove them....30 min. job. lol

The temp. control has 2 bolts in the corners. They can be difficult to get the right angle of the wrench. Go slow. The radio might have a strap on the side towards the fire wall. Just a rear support and it should attach in the area of the front speaker mounting.

"abrahamfh" said:
It all went really smoothly other than the shotgun sound that freaked me out when the Pitman Arm finally decided to break its 40 year bond.

When parts like that are so stubborn, instead of continuing to crank the heck out of the tool til it pops, crank the puller to the point where it's pretty darn tight, and then whack the side of whatever your trying to seperate with a hammer, sometimes a single tap will do... sometimes it takes a few hits from different angles. The vibration / shock along with the load applied by the puller is usually enough to seperate just about anything without too much fanfare.

btw, great post... like all the detail your putting into it...

"AzPete" said:
Yep...one tip.....just remove them....30 min. job. lol

The temp. control has 2 bolts in the corners. They can be difficult to get the right angle of the wrench. Go slow. The radio might have a strap on the side towards the fire wall. Just a rear support and it should attach in the area of the front speaker mounting.

Your hilarious Pete, thanks for the tip. LoL :10

Thank you for the radio info, every little bit helps a lot.

"stangg" said:
When parts like that are so stubborn, instead of continuing to crank the heck out of the tool til it pops, crank the puller to the point where it's pretty darn tight, and then whack the side of whatever your trying to seperate with a hammer, sometimes a single tap will do... sometimes it takes a few hits from different angles. The vibration / shock along with the load applied by the puller is usually enough to seperate just about anything without too much fanfare.

btw, great post... like all the detail your putting into it...

Good advice, didn't think about it at the time but will most definitely keep it in mind for the next stubborn part that refuses to budge. BFH TIME! Oh yeah!

Thank you for the compliment, I hope this thread will help me in some way remember how to put the darn thing back together some day or maybe if I am lucky help some noob like myself get through their own resto.

I finally got around to take on the rear quarter window and regulator. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I couldn't find any how to's for it anywhere. I did read somewhere :)nk Sorry Sorry) that it took them 2 hours to remove the window and regulator out. Not sure why? It took me about half hour, including the time to try and take some good pics as I went for a write up. I only removed the DS but tonight I will handle the PS, now that I have a better understanding of the removal process I think I will use the pics from tonight for the write up.

IMG_7897.jpg

IMG_7931.jpg

IMG_7935.jpg

Nothing too exciting but it's progress.

Once I remove the PS rear quarter window, I still need to remove the trunk hinges and the drip rail SS trim. Once those tasks are complete, the only parts left on Fred is the front suspension, front brakes, rear axle, rear suspension and rear brakes. Not exactly sure what to do after that. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
"lethal289" said:
Wow, if it takes 9 months for teardown, how long is reassembly going to take? :craz

Hopefully before Stefan gets his drivers license. :lol

Pics from this last weekend.

Always representing our love for cars, in one way or another. Stuffed puppy that looked just like Jiles, had do bring him with.

50a08751.jpg

He was soo mad that he wasnt tall enough to get on the train rollercoaster, took him a hour and the pirates of the carribean to cool off.

5b2a949e.jpg

He eats drinks and breaths Lightning McQueen.

b82846c9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back