• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shag's steering wheel - maybe not afterall

Re: Shag's steering wheel.

Perhaps you could make a console out of form ply, then it would make the wheel look better

Looks good, Craig. I do have a spare black leather stitch on cover that might make it blend in better if that's such an issue.

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
That's kinda my thought as well. With parchment/black interior the wheel kinda stands out being the only woodgrain item.

Frank

Sorry Craig, but I'll second this too. Maybe it's just me but I've never quite understood the wood wheel look. Some padding does feel good too.

"1497" said:
wow... tough crowd. 9 bolts, 9 rivets. lots of cars have used wood wheels without wood appointments otherwise. I think it looks classic. At least he didn't cheap out with a Grant.

Ouch! Guilty as charged. :bur

I'd like to try wrapping my Grant with a Wheelskins cover to see if I like it better. But yeah, I cheaped out.

Frank

I've got an idea to fix your wheel...

This would look great with the new green paint!
Fuzzy-Steering-Wheel-Cover-Green.jpg

Well....

Moto-Lita makes a VERY nice wheel, but it just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the interior with this car. It's weird how one little item can make such a big difference. If nothing else this settles the "battle of the Highland Green FB builds" we've been watching for the last year or so. Sam and Craig have been running neck and neck with their very similar builds, but after this Sam wins hands down. Notice in the below picture how well the woodgrain wheel blends into the interior scheme of Sam's FB... it doesn't detract from, but instead compliments the interior. While Sam's interior looks "classy" with the ENTIRE woodgrain theme, Shag's wheel looks like more of last minute poor decision. Sorry Craig.

427_11_08_10_4_24_19_1.jpg

OK, according to majority vote, it looks like I am wrong. I do agree that since Sam has woodgrain thoughout, yes the wheel does fit right in. Maybe not in my case. I feel like I've painted myself into a corner with no choice but to go black. I do NOT want a stock 68 steering wheel. Never liked them, never will.

Though not what I wanted to hear, I do appreciate everyone's comment.

Craig, I have to agree with the others, it just looks out of place for some reason. Its weird given that so many of us have the same wheel on our car, but for some weird reason it just looks out of place in Shag. Do you have a second or third choice you could swap it for?

"cmayna" said:
Are Grant wheels that sucky?

I think the wheels themselves are fine, its the horn buttons on the Grants that suck @$$. You need to find a wheel that looks "right" in Shag. Not sure why it looks outta place. Can you see the difference between yours and mine?

2_10_02_09_5_37_05_2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
"cmayna" said:
Are Grant wheels that sucky?

I've got a Grant on mine (courtesy of stangg) - and I've never had any problems with it.

Horns works.

And when I turn it left - the car goes left, and when I turn it right, the car goes right. Call me crazy - but I'm happy with that.

The Grant Signature series that came on my '66 (johnpro's choice of black leather in a black interior must mean something) is the best Grant setup I have seen. The horn button removes by un-bolting the entire horn ring....nothing to pop off going down the road. Mid's wheel is close to mine but with a different but good horn button setup also.

Pic before I got it polished...
unload042.jpg

"garner67" said:
I've got an idea to fix your wheel...

This would look great with the new green paint!
Fuzzy-Steering-Wheel-Cover-Green.jpg

OOOOHHHHHH SNNNNAAPPPPPP

but it would be perfect to cover the hideous wood come on craig thought you had better taste and coordination

Back