• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

She left me walking for the 1st time. Help.

70 StangMan

Donator
I went out for a little ( and I mean little ) drive today. I got about a 1/2 mile down the road and she lost all "fire". Throwed it neutral while still rolling and nothing but engine spin. Pulled off the road and pull the air cleaner and getting plenty of gas, just no fire at all. :rant What would cause instant loss of ignition ? Didn't sputter,stumble or anything just cut completely out and now won't fire at all. Coil ?? points ?? Any tips or advise that will save me time and aggravation would be appreciated.

Wouldn't be surprised that it turns out to be a broken wire in the primary ignition system, based upon your description.

"Midlife" said:
Wouldn't be surprised that it turns out to be a broken wire in the primary ignition system, based upon your description.
I replaced the ignition switch about a year ago and I think I have a back-up. I was just hoping that wasn't it because it was a bitch to change it out. Would anything else cause instant loss of juice that I could try first ?? I replaced the coil and still no spark.

Test light shows power into the coil on the + side and power out on the - side. When turning the switch forward the test light dims on the + side. :dun

Just had that happen to the Galaxie. Driving along and it died. Turned out to be the condenser. When ignition cuts out all at once, I check the coil, points or condenser. I put a new/ good used condenser in the Galaxie and it runs great again.

I've had several condensers go out on me in my life.

"Opentracker" said:
Just had that happen to the Galaxie. Driving along and it died. Turned out to be the condenser. When ignition cuts out all at once, I check the coil, points or condenser. I put a new/ good used condenser in the Galaxie and it runs great again.

I've had several condensers go out on me in my life.
Thank's, I'll try that next.

Hasn't happened to me with the 66, but it did do that exact thing twice on my 71 Bronco. Damn points and condenser!

"silverblueBP" said:
Hasn't happened to me with the 66, but it did do that exact thing twice on my 71 Bronco. Damn points and condenser!
Did you determine if it was one or both ?? I know you replace both when you replace either one, just wondering if the condenser was the culprit on yours as well.

IIRC, the points were shot. I replaced both when replacing points. I'm not smart enough to test the condenser!

I wouldn't bother testing the damn thing, just put a new or good used one in there and be done with it.

I've never tested one like that.

I'll tell you one thing that is hard to diagnose is a crappy running car that has a loose condenser screw. I tried all kinds of things on one car that ran like crap. When I went to remove the condenser, the screw wasn't tight. Gave it half a turn to tighten it and the car ran like a top. It ran good at idle but as soon as the motor started to shake a little, it ran like poo poo. The condenser was bouncing around on it's mount.

Does the distributor rotor turn over while the engine is cranking?

Good point Mid, he could have sheared off the roll pin. I've done that several times too.

Could be a bad coil

We'll just keep spending your money until it's fixed - how's that sound ?

Back