• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

She left me walking for the 1st time. Help.

When you do the test with the coil wire, it needs to be 1/8" to 1/4" from an unpainted surface. Grounded raw metal of some sort.

If you get no spark with that test, it's the coil or what ever triggers the coil ( points - petronix - magnetic pickup etc.) . With power going to the coil, your getting close to the fix.

After the tach, I'm thinking ignition switch or starter solenoid next. Possible a wire broke or slipped off your solenoid or the IGN switch? You're almost there.

Personally, I think you need to send the carb to Duane for a rebuild.

Upon further thought, you have an aftermarket dizzy, right? If the coil can't be triggered due to the dizzy not sending the ground signal to the coil, the coil won't release the charge.

Do you have another distributor that you can test the system with?

"Midlife" said:
Upon further thought, you have an aftermarket dizzy, right? If the coil can't be triggered due to the dizzy not sending the ground signal to the coil, the coil won't release the charge.

Do you have another distributor that you can test the system with?
Are you talking cap or the actual distributor ? I have more caps, but no extra dizzy's.

What you described happened to me once. Turned out it was a chewed up distributor gear. Someone misinformed me that I "had" to use a bronze gear. my cam chewed that thing to nothing in 4k miles

She's Alive !!! Finally after all the replacing and checking and double checking she running like a champ. The culprit ?? Would you believe the wire going onto the spade clip on the negative side of the coil was frayed and half broken off. Replaced with a new one and Bam !!...fired right up. Suddenly I feel a lot better about life. :pbj

Why is it always the last thing you check? I hate that!

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

Back