• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Smoking Meat - Not BBQing

I have always used a smoker with a side fire box until last year. I had always heard good things about ceramic cookers, but never could get over the price. I love cooking on this thing, it is unbelievable how easy it is to maintain low temps for long hours. I burn lump charcol and will throw in some hardwood for flavor, but I have gone 18 hrs without having to add charcol.

I used to keep a gas grill around for hotdogs and such, but the BGE is so easy to get up to temp that I use it for smoking and grilling.

Picture039.jpg

"janschutz" said:
BBQing is done at 250 - 350 degrees. Where as smoking is done at 200 to 250 degrees.

Maybe for the dead cow you Texans prefer, but real BBQ involves a whole hog cooked in a pit at 225F, 250F tops. [nb]This message brought to you by the Society for the Preservation of Ancient Methods of BBQ (SPAM-BBQ). [/nb]

"apollard" said:
Maybe for the dead cow you Texans prefer, but real BBQ involves a whole hog cooked in a pit at 225F, 250F tops. [nb]This message brought to you by the Society for the Preservation of Ancient Methods of BBQ (SPAM-BBQ). [/nb]

Amen :weas

the BGE is probably going to bemy next (and last) bbq/smoker/grill...

Back