• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Smoking Meat - Not BBQing

janschutz

Corn Hauler
BBQing is done at 250 - 350 degrees. Where as smoking is done at 200 to 250 degrees. The lower temperature allows the smoke to permeate the meat deeper. Also a longer cook time allows the fat to cook out thus tenderizing the meat.

Yesterday I smoke with Oak and Cherry. Oak gives a heavy smoke flavor and the cherry adds a sweet flavor. I like this combination for my beef. I started my fire using peach twiggs that I pruned from our peach tree during the winter. I never use Lighter fluid or charcoal.

My Brisket I smoked yesterday.
Brisket.jpg

I will post my recipes for rub and BBQ sauce later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a fire box attached to my smoker. I start the fire about an hour before I put in the meat. That way the heat is stable.

I have another smoker with an electric element that I used to cold smoke meat (curing). I make my bacon and hams in it.

I keep telling my wife I need a bigger smoking rig with a rotisserie, but all I getting from her are those looks (ya'll know what I mean).

why not charcoal? I smoke my brisket with charcoal and it's pretty good, I guess you need to airmail me a sample of your to compare

"tarafied1" said:
why not charcoal?

Just a purist type of thing. Plus I like playing with different types of wood the find the perfect flavor. If you are ever in the Dallas area, I would gladly let you taste what I call the wood perfection.

well don't be surprised if I show up! it sounds good! and I'd love to check out those Stangs :lol

Meat... :coo looks really good.
Got a brisket sitting in the fridge right now. Seasoned it about noon, wrapped in foil an resting until it goes into the smoker about 8:00 tonight. I'll take it out tomorrow about 4:00. Never have used any fruit woods, but a buddy swears by apple in his fire box. I'm a mesquite purist, or just too stubborn to change. If I were to do it any other way my family members would gripe that it doesn't taste like what they expect.

Sounds great, we need to get together and have a weekend of meat smoking to try each others smoking skills. I always wanted to have over 3 or 4 other guys and each smoke with their favorite hunk of meat with their favorite woods. I am drooling just thinking out it.

"janschutz" said:
Sounds great, we need to get together and have a weekend of meat smoking to try each others smoking skills. I always wanted to have over 3 or 4 other guys and each smoke with their favorite hunk of meat with their favorite woods. I am drooling just thinking out it.
I could get into that! Stangs and Steak (sounded better than Stangs and Brisket) :ecit

You guys can get together and smoke each others meat. :sur
Thats one event i do not need to see any pictures from. :wtf

Pork N Ponies.... Im glad your not Porkin Sheep :ss

:lol :lol :lol :nta :lol :lol :lol​

"janschutz" said:
:scar

Sounds like a craigslist ad :scar

I thought it was illegal to smoke outdoors in California, unless it is the funny cigarettes...

Back