• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Smoking Meat - Not BBQing

janschutz

Corn Hauler
BBQing is done at 250 - 350 degrees. Where as smoking is done at 200 to 250 degrees. The lower temperature allows the smoke to permeate the meat deeper. Also a longer cook time allows the fat to cook out thus tenderizing the meat.

Yesterday I smoke with Oak and Cherry. Oak gives a heavy smoke flavor and the cherry adds a sweet flavor. I like this combination for my beef. I started my fire using peach twiggs that I pruned from our peach tree during the winter. I never use Lighter fluid or charcoal.

My Brisket I smoked yesterday.
Brisket.jpg

I will post my recipes for rub and BBQ sauce later.

Last edited by a moderator:

janschutz

Corn Hauler
I have a fire box attached to my smoker. I start the fire about an hour before I put in the meat. That way the heat is stable.

I have another smoker with an electric element that I used to cold smoke meat (curing). I make my bacon and hams in it.

I keep telling my wife I need a bigger smoking rig with a rotisserie, but all I getting from her are those looks (ya'll know what I mean).

tarafied1

why not charcoal? I smoke my brisket with charcoal and it's pretty good, I guess you need to airmail me a sample of your to compare

janschutz

Corn Hauler
"tarafied1" said:
why not charcoal?

Just a purist type of thing. Plus I like playing with different types of wood the find the perfect flavor. If you are ever in the Dallas area, I would gladly let you taste what I call the wood perfection.

tarafied1

well don't be surprised if I show up! it sounds good! and I'd love to check out those Stangs :lol

Meat... :coo looks really good.
Got a brisket sitting in the fridge right now. Seasoned it about noon, wrapped in foil an resting until it goes into the smoker about 8:00 tonight. I'll take it out tomorrow about 4:00. Never have used any fruit woods, but a buddy swears by apple in his fire box. I'm a mesquite purist, or just too stubborn to change. If I were to do it any other way my family members would gripe that it doesn't taste like what they expect.

janschutz

Corn Hauler
Sounds great, we need to get together and have a weekend of meat smoking to try each others smoking skills. I always wanted to have over 3 or 4 other guys and each smoke with their favorite hunk of meat with their favorite woods. I am drooling just thinking out it.

tarafied1

"janschutz" said:
Sounds great, we need to get together and have a weekend of meat smoking to try each others smoking skills. I always wanted to have over 3 or 4 other guys and each smoke with their favorite hunk of meat with their favorite woods. I am drooling just thinking out it.
I could get into that! Stangs and Steak (sounded better than Stangs and Brisket) :ecit

lethal289

You guys can get together and smoke each others meat. :sur
Thats one event i do not need to see any pictures from. :wtf

Pork N Ponies.... Im glad your not Porkin Sheep :ss

:lol :lol :lol :nta :lol :lol :lol​

Sluggo

"janschutz" said:
:scar

Sounds like a craigslist ad :scar

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I thought it was illegal to smoke outdoors in California, unless it is the funny cigarettes...