• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

(sold) Must sell the 66.....

Congratulations on your purchase. Glad to have you here. Keep us up to date on your projects!

Congrats on the purchase. I am happy John's Mustang has found yet another happy home.

I will miss seeing it at the different events in Cali.

I sure do miss John. I am sure he is smiling at you!
Does someone have an extra life size photo of Johnpro to send?

Mel

"tarafied1" said:
Welcome and congratulations on the 66. Where in KY are you? I'm near Bowling Green
I'm in Lexington, quite a bit of a distance...

First thing I'll do is change the long tube headers. I spoke to Pete about it. The rattling noise from the leak is a pain and they're also hanging too low. Pete suggested hipo manifolds.After some research it looks that it is what i am going to do...

Any counter advice welcome!
p.

You really should start a new post under the proper heading to get more business on your questions,

"pjbbx" said:

First thing I'll do is change the long tube headers. I spoke to Pete about it. The rattling noise from the leak is a pain and they're also hanging too low. Pete suggested hipo manifolds.After some research it looks that it is what i am going to do...

p.
after 30+ years of long tubes my dad is switching his 66 to the repro HI PO manifolds too...
Yes Lexington is a drive but Somerset has a great cruise every 4th weekend, thats not to far for you or me, maybe we can meet out there some time? August is Mustang Month...
I go two to three times a year and alway hit the August one.

"pjbbx" said:

p.

The Hipo manis will choke that car out. I have driven that car and if I were you I would get a good set of shorties or fix the long tubes. I have long tubes on both my cars and have no issues at all. I did get a leak in the 67 and used Buffalo gaskets and it went away and as not been back. If your leak is at the collector, well get new gaskets and keep an extra set. Easy enough to change out.

I know John lowered the front, but not sure how much so if the headers are just too low for you and you can not slow down in driveways and speed bumps, then use shorties, they breathe better.

Mel

I disagree...... The HiPo's will not kill that engine. Yes, you drop a bit of HP in the upper end if I remember........not kill it. It is a driver....not being raced.

The way the car sits with the long tubes, it cannot pass over a coke can laying on the road. That is low for a driver.

The leak in the headers may well be from dragging over so many spots in the road. It has actually drug from the tracks left in the blacktop from heavy truck traffic. I did two gaskets with it leaking within about 200 miles.

As for shorties, you can look back on my efforts there.....HiPo's are the best shot for it.

FYI.....John and I talked about the options before I bought the car. He also felt the HiPo's would do well.......and he built the car/engine......

I have Tri-Y's on my 289 and I've not had any dragging problems.

The other thing is the car has an AOD..........very few long tubes match that for width.

Pete, I have tri-Ys on both cars and one had Hipos on it. I cold not believe the difference. It was so choked down!

So, I respect you for disagreeing with me, but John never had any and I have and I can tell you it will choke that car. I can base this on personal experience with this. In fact I recently sold y hipos to someone here and I know they will work well for his application in doing a K car, but for a restomod, get the best flow possible.

With the AOD they will hang a bit lower, maybe the collector can be modified and made into an oval and welded to oval pipe. Just a thought.

Mel

It is not that the long tubes hang low with an AOD....the AOD is wider and nearly all long tubes will not clear.....the one that John used do drag. Been thru this on other cars too. I only owned the car for about 6 months and did a ton of research on this........ I've made my suggestions so I am done.

"AzPete" said:
It is not that the long tubes hang low with an AOD....the AOD is wider and nearly all long tubes will not clear.....the one that John used do drag. Been thru this on other cars too. I only owned the car for about 6 months and did a ton of research on this........ I've made my suggestions so I am done.

with loads of respect me too!

Mel

"tarafied1" said:
Yes Lexington is a drive but Somerset has a great cruise every 4th weekend, thats not to far for you or me, maybe we can meet out there some time? August is Mustang Month...
Sounds good. Apparently there is also a good classic cars show in Keeneland, Lexington every july...

Also, to Pete and Mel, well, it looks that I did not need to start a new post! People aren't shy to express their point of view about hipos and long tubes... Am joking. I should have known, it seems to be a sensitive issue on different forums... I really appreciate your input guys. And i get where you're coming from. It's a question of balance: how much I'm willing to lose in torque vs how much i will get when leak is fixed and exhaust is higher (having said that I managed to drive the car back to Ky without touching the ground once but i suppose i was being careful...)

Obviously, I will only find out by trying. Each car is different. But for different reasons, you both make a strong case. How am i supposed to act after that? Think about it more I guess... Thanks again

Neither Pete or I are wrong. We just have different opinions. We both respect each other and it is OK to disagree here. In the end we are Stangfixers first and would do anything for one another.

Take our advice and think about it, go to a custom muffler shop, I have one in town that I go to who is a classic guy himself, all be it Mopars and ask them for solutions that are outside the box. You may be surprised.

Custom stuff is expensive, but they found a solution for my 65 and I am mostly happy with it. I think I will add some cutouts and then I will be happy.

So, whatever you do it is your car now and you should do what you want, we just armchair quarterback!

Mel

Yep....what Mel said......and in that armchair quarterback position, we can spend the heck out of your money.

Plus as the motto reads....StangFix....even if it ain't broke, we will tell ya how to fix it.

Back