• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

SPI EPOXY PRIMER

SELLERSRODSHOP

just placed an order yesterday from SPI (Southern Polyurethanes Inc.) & noticed on their website that they have recently introduced a red oxide colored epoxy primer that matches the old ford primer. i had been 'lobbying" for a red oxide from them for a while, as i also have some harley customers who want the original red oxide primer & was pretty well stuck with PPG DP-72LF (an excellent product, but pretty pricey). the SPI products are just as good if not better quality wise, but better pricing & the customer service is unequalled anywhere. i ordered a qt. & will post pics when i shoot some.

I've heard good things about them. Where do you buy from? No one local sells it to my knowledge.
Bill

"67 Fastback" said:
I've heard good things about them. Where do you buy from? No one local sells it to my knowledge.
Bill

bill,

i order directly from them via phone. my orders arrive in 1-2 days depending on what time of the day i order. shipping is free too!

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
bill,

i order directly from them via phone. my orders arrive in 1-2 days depending on what time of the day i order. shipping is free too!

I searched for them, but the site says forbidden or something.
Bill

I've read nothing but good about SPI's products and service. I ordered several quarts for my coupe project. Although it was coming from "only" one state away, it was on my door step the very next day. I look forward to the pics of the red oxide. I had read about them developing it specifically for Ford restoration folks, basically at the request hobby. I plan on buying some for my fastback when i finally start it's restoration. Look forward to your experiences and pics!

Forgot to add, I ordered from them direct as well. No fuss, no muss, really friendly folks on the phone! :thu

In this day an age, where you need to be a chemist to paint a car, how do you decide what can be put over the SPI product?

I understand they don't make color coats, but they do make a clear? I still haven't decided if i want to paint BC/CC or not? Do I need to do that before I pick a primer?

I'm curious for those that have used both the SPI and the PPG, what specifically do you like better about the SPI?

"jtfx6552" said:
In this day an age, where you need to be a chemist to paint a car, how do you decide what can be put over the SPI product?

I understand they don't make color coats, but they do make a clear? I still haven't decided if i want to paint BC/CC or not? Do I need to do that before I pick a primer?

I'm curious for those that have used both the SPI and the PPG, what specifically do you like better about the SPI?

The only thing I can comment on that I have used is there clear, It was the worst product that I have ever sprayed. I had the right activator for the temperature I was spraying in, but it dryed so fast I couldn't get it to lay down and was hard as a rock to buff. I think a lot of people use there primer and have good results with it. All the major company's do not guarantee there products unless you use there complete system. I like to use U-Pol primer, it is a 4 to 1 high build primer that is great for a lot of block sanding. And at 80.00 a gallon it is hard to beat the price.

I used a bunch of the SPI Epoxy, I coated the floor in the red, the rear end, leafs & outer aprons in black and the trunk & outer quarter in the white. The white seems to spray on a bit thinner than the other colors, )it may have been me). I like it.

IMG00444-20110502-2009.jpg

IMG00129-20110622-1200.jpg

First coats in the red, then the black, then 3M undercoat. If I ever see red Ill know its a scratch.
IMG00425-20110424-1137.jpg

"mustangstofear" said:
The only thing I can comment on that I have used is there clear, It was the worst product that I have ever sprayed. I had the right activator for the temperature I was spraying in, but it dryed so fast I couldn't get it to lay down and was hard as a rock to buff. I think a lot of people use there primer and have good results with it. All the major company's do not guarantee there products unless you use there complete system. I like to use U-Pol primer, it is a 4 to 1 high build primer that is great for a lot of block sanding. And at 80.00 a gallon it is hard to beat the price.

Rich I don't know which clear you used but I have been using their clears and primers since 2005 and have never had a problem spraying it. I use Universal and just started using the very slow activator here in Florida. I sprayed a 70 Chevelle wagon and it came out so smooth I did not wet sand and buff.

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0014-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I convinced Barry he needed a red oxide primer for the Mustang and Fords. They sell one color SPI red which is on my Fairlane.

276.jpg

266.jpg

"GPR" said:
Rich I don't know which clear you used but I have been using their clears and primers since 2005 and have never had a problem spraying it. I use Universal and just started using the very slow activator here in Florida. I sprayed a 70 Chevelle wagon and it came out so smooth I did not wet sand and buff.

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0014-1.jpg

I used there most expensive clear they had, they had several levels, but I told them for what I do I wanted there best. I will say one thing they are very nice people to deal with and after trying a second batch of clear, I got the same result. They quickly refunded my money.

Rich I guess for some reason the way you spray clear SPI doesn't work for you. You are right they are very nice and have the best customer service.

Thread like this perplex me. Two guys who both really know what they are doing have wildly different results with the same product...

Makes me wonder what chance I have on mine coming out ok...

I can confuse you even more, I had my older brother try the Matrix clear i use and he couldn't spray it, I told him this clear is so easy to work with I could spray it blindfolded standing on my head and not get a run. So I talked him in to trying it again and he couldn't how nice his black paint job turned out. What he did the second time from the first is a mystery.

They also have added UV inhibitors to their black epoxy for those looking for an interim "Hot Rod FlatZ" look.

Back