• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

SPI EPOXY PRIMER

"jtfx6552" said:
Thread like this perplex me. Two guys who both really know what they are doing have wildly different results with the same product...

Makes me wonder what chance I have on mine coming out ok...

As you are spraying SPI you want to spray it like you want it to look when finished starting with the first coat very wet. It needs to go on heavy and is very hard to run. I wait about 20 - 25 min between the first and second coat and than 10 - 15 min for the third. I have also sprayed the third coat waiting only 5 min.

If you every have any questions Barry has his cell phone # on the website and is available 7 days a week. Not very many owners of the company will help you out if you have a problem 7 days a week.

"GPR" said:
As you are spraying SPI you want to spray it like you want it to look when finished starting with the first coat very wet. It needs to go on heavy and is very hard to run. I wait about 20 - 25 min between the first and second coat and than 10 - 15 min for the third. I have also sprayed the third coat waiting only 5 min.

If you every have any questions Barry has his cell phone # on the website and is available 7 days a week. Not very many owners of the company will help you out if you have a problem 7 days a week.

Sounds good, just to clarify, are you speaking of the primer, or the clear, or both?

mainly the clearcoat. you really have to lay it on there as it doesn't have much flow to it. its a heavy bodied clear that pretty much cures out the way its sprayed on & doesn't flow much. the high build MS clear acts this way moreso than the universal. i don't have trouble with the MS as i shot PPG 2020 for years, & it didn't flow out either.

the primers are similar, as they mix without reducer, so are heavy. the only exception would be the epoxy. i always give mine at least an hour induction time when i mix it before i shoot it as it seems to be really thin & prone to run if shot right after its mixed.

these are two i shot this week & topcoated with universal. other than a couple dust specs, they look perfect & won't need a full buff job.
IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

The best advice I can give anyone trying a new product, is do it on a small panel first. that way you can get the feel for it. The last thing you would want to do is a overall paint job with something that you never tried before. Most of these high build clears can be reduced to get them to flow out. When I'm spraying clear I hammer it on and have my gun about 6 inches from my panel.

Back