• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Summit Carb Update

Sluggo

Well i finally drove the car with the new carb on it today.
I have adjusted nothing but the curb idle. Choke power still not run.

I got in it this morning after it sitting since last Tuesday morning, hit the gas pedal once bumped the key and it fired right up.
I let it warm up about half way to operating temp and took it for a ride.

Problems the carb solved:
  • Cold start
  • Hot start
  • Stumble during transition from cruise to WOT
  • Drowning under heavy braking
  • Drowning during hard corner
  • Kickdown rod and accel cable back where they belong

Only problem with install:
Air cleaner stud too long. Will hit hood with the one shipped. (at least with my setup) I think there was another one in the kit, but it won't work either.
Luckily I was running a short air cleaner so all I have to do is shorten the stud.

There's little doubt the carb is an excellent value for the money. The last new carb I had was a Holley 770 Street Avenger(on a different car). This carb is far superior to it.

Better than a Demon or Barry Grant? I dunno. Never had one. I'd put it up against any out of the box Holley for sure.
One of the best things about it is, It just fits a Ford. Correct kickdown lever, right width, no cutting and lengthening brackets, bending kickdowns, no jake-leg crap what-so-ever.

Bottom line....The best 259 bucks Iv'e EVER spent on a car.

I'm next. I need a new carb for the Mule. I like the looks of them and the way they are built like the Autolite carbs.

Were the plug fouled out, did you update anything else besides the carb to get those results? I hate the hard start with my edelbrock, and im leaning towards one of these.

"lethal289" said:
Were the plug fouled out, did you update anything else besides the carb to get those results? I hate the hard start with my edelbrock, and im leaning towards one of these.

I did nothing but put the carb on.

I put plugs in it about 50 miles ago. I ran it about an hour when I first put the carb on and it seemed to clear out pretty well. It don't even make your eyes water anymore.

I am going to try to tune my pony carbs rebuilt holley 4160 but I swear if i can't get it I am ordering one of these suckers!!!

Thanks for the update Sluggo. Sounds like it might be a great investment. Maybe a late Christmas present. I will need to talk this over with the Boss.

Thanks Rick

"Ricks 70 stang" said:
Thanks for the update Sluggo. Sounds like it might be a great investment. Maybe a late Christmas present. I will need to talk this over with the Boss.

Thanks Rick

Approved! Go buy it.

Nice write up. I'm considering a new carb for my 69. I have a restored Autolite 4300 on a 351W that has more hiccups and bogs than I care to deal with.

"Sluggo" said:
Nuttin wrong with your carb.

Yeah, but yours got
index.php

Attachments

• 100bling.gif
    100bling.gif
    43.2 KB · Views: 154
"RyanG85" said:
Nice write up. I'm considering a new carb for my 69. I have a restored Autolite 4300 on a 351W that has more hiccups and bogs than I care to deal with.

It's damn near a no brainer. I spent close to 100 bux buying parts for that Edelbrock 1407. Rebuilt it twice and could not get the idle circuit right for nothing. If I was ever so foolish as to affix some kind of value to my time, I'd have more money in trying to repair that one than just buying the Summitt unit.

I have the edlebrock on both cars. I like them, but hate the watering eyes. The one on the 67 has been there a while and needs a rebuild. I have two holleys that I am going to take pics of and hopefully sell. Then maybe I'll buy one of those and put on the 67. See if I like it and if I do sell both the EBs and get another one.

I really like the performance I get right now. Both cars developed a bunch more seat of the pants HP compared to the holleys.

I do like double pumpers, otherwise I have no use for a holley.

As far as a group buy, if we can get one and I can sell the two holleys, I'm in.

Mel

My experience was the same as Sluggo's - easily the best carb I've run.

This post brought to you for all the engineers who need more than one data point :dh

Back