• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Summit Carb Update

Sluggo,
I have a 770 Street Avenger and I installed it right out of the box almost 10 years ago. No adjustments. Even the electric choke works great hooked to the stator on the Alt. I did rebuild it last spring when my coil was going bad cuz I thought the carb was acting up but it was fine. Anyway, you said the Summit Carb was better. Just wondering, better in what way? I have had lots of Holleys and that's what the Demon and a lot of other carbs copy. I have never had an Edelbrock or Carter. I have had Quadrajets on my GM cars and would take a Holley any day over a Quadrajunk. Not looking to stir the pot just curious. I have heard even Holley guys dis the Street Avenger but I have had no issues.

"tarafied1" said:
Sluggo,
I have a 770 Street Avenger and I installed it right out of the box almost 10 years ago. No adjustments. Even the electric choke works great hooked to the stator on the Alt. I did rebuild it last spring when my coil was going bad cuz I thought the carb was acting up but it was fine. Anyway, you said the Summit Carb was better. Just wondering, better in what way? I have had lots of Holleys and that's what the Demon and a lot of other carbs copy. I have never had an Edelbrock or Carter. I have had Quadrajets on my GM cars and would take a Holley any day over a Quadrajunk. Not looking to stir the pot just curious. I have heard even Holley guys dis the Street Avenger but I have had no issues.

I just had bad luck with it. Holley did everything to make it right though. They sent me a new carb after messing with the first for about two weeks. The replacement was a lot better. Still had problems with the transition right up til I sold the car.

"Opentracker" said:
I wonder if we can get a group deal on 10 of 'em ?
Im in, but we probably need somebody with... ohh, i dont know... maybe a racing store to set this up! :lol :lol :vic

"lethal289" said:
Im in, but we probably need somebody with... ohh, i dont know... maybe a racing store to set this up! :lol :lol :vic

Don't get your hopes up.

I emailed Summitt customer service and they do not have a volume discount program.

"Sluggo" said:
Don't get your hopes up.

I emailed Summitt customer service and they do not have a volume discount program.

But they do give discounts pretty easily I doubt we would have got more than 10% anyway.

The code is above.

"Sluggo" said:
Don't get your hopes up.

"gtscode" said:
For a discount today use summit code wscs11 gives 10% and ends today.

Grab the 10% code while you can, that's as good a discount as I've seen them do-

So I think I am going to pull the trigger what is the latest on this carb? Did anyone else pick one up?

I should have bought one when I found that 10% off code.

As I told GTSCODE, I'm snooping around for a new carb for Red. Maybe this is the way to go.

I looked for the original post that this thread was updating but I didn't find it. I could use a couple of good 4 barrel carbs for 289's in a couple of my cars so I checked Summit's site and didn't see a Ford specific Summit brand carb listed. GM stuff was everywhere though.
Can you help a guy out and point me in the right direction? I need to try to find one with a manual choke and another with a choke stove application if possible. I'm tired of fighting carburetor problems too.

"Sluggo" said:
It's damn near a no brainer. I spent close to 100 bux buying parts for that Edelbrock 1407.

Everything I have read or seen about the 1407 says it's a piece of junk. I have an article, somewhere that showed a 1407 produced less power on a dyno than the 1405 did, on the same engine. IIRC, the engine was a 351w.

Comparing anything to a 1407 is an unfair advantage to me. The Summit carb does sound like a viable option in the future, but for now, I'm quite happy with the jetted up Edelbrock 1405 on my '66's 289 and the Holley 750 DP with no choke horn at all on my '69's 408.

"d_ford" said:
I looked for the original post that this thread was updating but I didn't find it. I could use a couple of good 4 barrel carbs for 289's in a couple of my cars so I checked Summit's site and didn't see a Ford specific Summit brand carb listed. GM stuff was everywhere though.
Can you help a guy out and point me in the right direction? I need to try to find one with a manual choke and another with a choke stove application if possible. I'm tired of fighting carburetor problems too.

The summitt carb has performed flawlessly for me.

They are designed after the Autolite 4100 and work well on Ford applications. The Ford kickdown is built in.

I bought the Summit carb a few months ago, just before Knott's, and am happy with it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08600VS/

It's the 750 vacuum secondary, elec choke, but I removed the elec choke and converted it to a manual choke wired open all the time, using this kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-45-225S/

It replaced a Holley 750, 3310, which was approx 10 years old and needed updating. I had done a quickie/cheapie rebuild a couple years prior and it really needed a good going-through. By the time I figured the price of the parts kit $100, I was almost halfway to the Summit carb cost and a $25 discount card arrived in the mail at the right time.

The carb fires right up, hot or cold, but to be honest the car always had anyway regardless of carb (original 2v, Holley or Summit, must be my remarkable ability to tune the car).

I haven't checked the idle mixture screws after the installation and only checked the float-level as they are clear-sight-glass inserts. My kickdown rod is not attached (left off from the Holley days) so I can't attest to how it attaches to the Summit Carb though I should try to reattach it. I like the carb as it will never leak (no gaskets below the fuel line) and it looks good although it's covered up by the air cleaner.

The included dual-inlet line is a bit cheap and you can buy an assembled braided hose line but I'm using this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3120/

I used it with the Holley and although adjustable, it's slightly too long for the Summit and trimmed approx 1/2" from the adjustable arm.

However, I am having some type of occasional driveability problem at 2500-3000, the engine seems to cut-out/miss but the tach does not drop down. I temporarily swapped the Holley back on and the problem was still there so it's not related to the carb, the Summit is back on.

"SAC69" said:
My kickdown rod is not attached (left off from the Holley days) so I can't attest to how it attaches to the Summit Carb though I should try to reattach it.

Tom, if you need a '69 kick-down rod I have one. I just tripped over it yesterday, so know right where it is. I need to return your electrical manual as well. If you want the kick-down rod, it's yours for the asking.

John, thanks for the offer but I will not need it, mine is still attached to the trans, I've simply not attached it to the carb yet.

"johnpro" said:
I need to return your electrical manual as well.

No hurry, I'll pick it up at some point. Maybe we can get together w/SacBill (and others?) for one of the Downtown Roseville shows.

Ya'll still love the summit carbs? Iam about ready to toss my edelbrock 1406 in the trash. I've only had it about a year, and I just can't seem to get it adjusted correctly, and my eyes feel like they are going to burn out of my eye sockets! Being my first carb, Iam a newbie, but - If I have to toss a few hours labor at someone, I might as well purchase the summit carb.

Thoughts? -Mark

Back