• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tefba Radiator Filter Install Problem

bluestang

Looks like my long awaited Tefba installation will NOT happen :cry Have a 68 Mustang with the 24" radiator AND hood mounted turnsignal lites. It'a a dead on collision! Anyone else with a similar 67/8 and same prob??

We're using a Gano filter on my daughter's '67 with turn signal hood. No problems with it, at all.

Are you saying the Tebfa top hits the signal lamp assy? It's that tight at the area where the rad hose attaches at the rad?

"bluestang" said:
Looks like my long awaited Tefba installation will NOT happen :cry Have a 68 Mustang with the 24" radiator AND hood mounted turnsignal lites. It'a a dead on collision! Anyone else with a similar 67/8 and same prob??

I have the same problem. I am hoping I can move the filter back a little closer to the engine. What engine do you have? This is of course with my 390.

Why use a filter in the cooling circuit? First i use some kind of an cooling circuit cleaner and flush the system a couple of times.Afterwards i use a good antifreeze and that prevents that the engine is coroding on the inside.
Or do i miss something?

"bluestang" said:

I routed upper radiator hose my a bit differently to accommodate my Tefba filter, and this approach may work for you, too.

Here's a pic.

23791070078_large.jpg

"B67FSTB" said:
Why use a filter in the cooling circuit? First i use some kind of an cooling circuit cleaner and flush the system a couple of times.Afterwards i use a good antifreeze and that prevents that the engine is coroding on the inside.
Or do i miss something?
You would not believe the crap that the Tefba filter catches. Check it every 6 months or so and there is always something to clean off the screen.

"70 StangMan" said:
You would not believe the crap that the Tefba filter catches. Check it every 6 months or so and there is always something to clean off the screen.

+1

On my new engine block build, you wouldn't believe the crud the Tefba filter picks up. I think it's particularly bad with a new build, due to all the new gasket sealer, and I checked it every week at first.

These days after about 2500 miles, I check it monthly and there's always something to clean off the screen. IMHO, after spending too much money on my Griffin radiator, a radiator filter is well worth the extra expense and hassle to install.

Try explaining your problem rather than just saying it doesn't work.

I have my tefba in line as the normal hose routing goes, with hood signals. No problem.

"B67FSTB" said:
Or do i miss something?

Bruno,
As other's have already said, either when you install an engine that you know nothing about or more importantly installing a newly built block, you need to install a filter for the amount of crud that will come from the engine is unreal. Eventually it will reduce down to nothing, but until then......

When I first installed a Tefba onto Red, I could not believe how much crap the filter caught, but now there is very little if any so I'm finally considering removing the filter.

Shag has one waiting to be installed.

I hope I don't have any install issues but I'm still a ways away from that point.

"KBMWRS" said:
I have my tefba in line as the normal hose routing goes, with hood signals. No problem.

I just looked at mine, and it does look very close. I believe mine may be touching the t/s light but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I know they want you to mount the filter horizontal, but perhaps you could mount it on the angled portion of the hose. It's not too much of an angle. This is assuming you have a 289/302.

Your other option is to go with the Gano filter, which adds nothing to the diameter of the hose.

Frank

"gtscode" said:
I have the same problem. I am hoping I can move the filter back a little closer to the engine. What engine do you have? This is of course with my 390.

Have a small block (5.0) with 68 hoses, etc. 24" rad, same size,etc. as 390, I believe. Looking furthur, figure I can trim hose at gooseneck about 3/4". Have an extra 68 upper hose which will give a bit more room from the rad. Also, looking at TS lite housing, a small amount can be shaved.
As it is, it hits dead on with the hose. Maybe KBMWRS could post a pic-appreciate it.

"garner67" said:
+1

On my new engine block build, you wouldn't believe the crud the Tefba filter picks up. I think it's particularly bad with a new build, due to all the new gasket sealer, and I checked it every week at first.

These days after about 2500 miles, I check it monthly and there's always something to clean off the screen. IMHO, after spending too much money on my Griffin radiator, a radiator filter is well worth the extra expense and hassle to install.

You have a point there.
But probably you guys in sunny california have more cooling problems then we have in Europe because outside temperatures is not that high overhere.
I noticed that severel people living in warm countries or states ain't using any antifreeze in the cooling system of their car.So , cast iron motorblocks tends to rust inside.

Bruno,
On the contrary, of my fellow Calif Mustanger friends are running very little coolant (20% coolant, 80% distilled water & a bottle of water wetter) and we are not encountering rusting insides. This forumula keeps our beauty's running cool in the sunny California weather.

I believe these filter are best used as I said earlier, when you install a new motor and you want all that building junk to not get into the radiator.

Fitment-Yes the Gano is actually smaller in diameter than one's upper hose. The only thing I don't like about them is you cannot easily open and clean them like you can with the Tefba.

I think moving the Tefba closer to the radiator might help this particular issue. Sounds like a trial and fit project.

If there is a problem of clearing the hood light inserts, can't you move the filter back towards the thermostat and gain some clearance?

On the other hand, you could simply rotate the filter 90*...just thinking outside the box!

I believe the idea is to have the filter in a position where it can be opened, cleaned and installed without the coolant flowing out.

Back