• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ***"Official"*** StangFix Drag car

"tarafied1" said:
they are just what I have. Thought it might be cool to put a gauge in the drivers side vent...
If you have an extra 67 right side that would be cool but I guess I don't have to use one on that side. I have been hanging on to these for years and years. Thought it might be time to use 'em. Bummer the right one won't fit!

Thanks for the ideas/leads on the other site. When I get that far, the real money will be spent on engine and drive train!

Just to clarify, is that pic you posted what you want to do or do you already have that part? That is a 67 assembly pictured. I'm confused on what exactly you are looking for, ie, you have the part pictured and want a matching vent for the right side, or you want a right side vent to use on the driver side. I too may have a spare right side 67 vent, will check.

Sorry for the confusion. I have both a 67 and a 68 for the drivers side but only a 68 for the pasenger side. The 68 has a design I assume is for safety in an accident the vent will pop off and the 67 doesn't. Anyway, the 68 dash must have been redesigned to allow clearance. I am going to have to find a 67 for the right/passenger side or just a non-AC would work I guess. I'm not going to have AC but I don't have the non-AC parts either. I thought since I had them I would just use them but the 68 won't work and I'm not cutting the dash.

In a non AC car there is just nothing there. I added the vent in my non AC car so it now has the 67 vents.

For your drag car, what about venting them to the outside and putting a small computer type fan in them to a switch on the dash/console to get air moving around while you are racing, since you have to have the windows up....???

I don't know about the 68 vents since I used the 67 vents and have never seen the difference.

Mel

Not a bad idea but in the name of weight savings I probably won't have any duct work and stuff behind the dash. When I get back from Cleveland I'll post some pics of the 68 vents.

this is a close up of the 68 vents with the spring loaded parts that can pop off in an accident. You can see the right side 68 vent won't clear the factory hole in the 67 dash. Driver's side is no problem.
index.php

index.php

spent the afternoon with a wire wheel. I only got a small area done. I found a little rust that needs to be fixed too.
index.php

index.php

index.php

I still think you should disassemble the vents and just install them to a couple light weight high speed computer fans under the dash and some light weight plastic flex hose and a small switch on the dash so you can have some ventilation on race day.

The entire thing should only weigh 2-3 pounds. You could get fancy and put some hose on the inlet side and a hole going out under the bottom of the front fenders between the body and engine compartment to draw in the outside air without drawing in the fumes from the engine bay. Maybe add 1 pound, but the metal cut our to accommodate the outside air would offset it a little....

Mel

Hmm, I seem to recall something about a certain model of the Mustang that had air extractor vents designed right into the body.

"70_Fastback" said:
That's some serious wire wheel progress Craig!
Thanks, I used a wire wheel on my angle grinder, a wire brush and a small wire wheel on my Dremel. It's going to take some time but it's working! I want to get the whole interior cleaned, primed and painted before I weld in the dash. Then I will do the engine compartment.
"sigtauenus" said:
Hmm, I seem to recall something about a certain model of the Mustang that had air extractor vents designed right into the body.
any pics?

"sigtauenus" said:
said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
if your going to quote fairy tales, at least get it right! It's "I see, said the blind man to his deaf wife on a disconnected phone as he picked up his hammer and saw..."

"tarafied1" said:
if your going to quote fairy tales, at least get it right! It's "I see, said the blind man to his deaf wife on a disconnected phone as he picked up his hammer and saw..."

I have NEVER heard that deaf wife/disconnected phone part before. LOL. Funny.

"sigtauenus" said:
I have NEVER heard that deaf wife/disconnected phone part before. LOL. Funny.

You need to turn on your hearing aide, dummy!

Are you planning on seam welding the parts once you have them stripped? That would sure help the structural rigidity.

do you mean on the floor boards? I hadn't thought of that. Do you think it will make a difference? I do plan on a roll cage and sub-frame connectors (at some point).

"silverblueBP" said:
Are you planning on seam welding the parts once you have them stripped? That would sure help the structural rigidity.

Is that why this was welded like this? Not my car, saw it posted on another forum. Guy does really nice work.

56.jpg

68.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I added stitch welds all over the car when I had it all clean but before I repainted the underside. Anything that was originally spot welded, I added a stitch here and there.

Back