• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tire Size Poll Front Verses Back

MarkStang

Simple question.

Should I stager the tires

Should I match the tires?

If I match what is the best size all around for the 15x7 65 set up.

Re: Tire Size Pole Front Verses Back

I like the stagger look, but I think it's a matter of preference. all the same size can be rotated. I have staggerd tires on mine. Taller and wider in rear.
photodisplay.php

I prefer no stagger for 2 reasons:

1-Rotation

2-Our cars usually understeer anyway; stagger will make it worse.

I prefer all 4 to be the same for rotating purposes. If it was strictly a street car off set would be OK. I run 215/60's on my 15x7 TTD's and run 225/45 track tires(Nitto NT-01) along with bigger 6.00x15 Goodyear Bluestreaks, they all fit.

I prefer the offset look.

As for rotation, how many actually drive it enough to get much advantage out of rotating?

Do what makes your car look best to you, period.

I never replaced my rear tires over the 8 years I drove it. I replaced the front 4 times. I think that was do to poor alignment because of grossly worn parts. I just checked my rake... LOLOL

wheel well in front 23 to lip and the rear 27 to lip. The rear tires are 2 inches taller than the front. I definitely like fat rear tires but I do not think the most I can fit in the rear will work up front. I suppose I will try the most I can fit in at the back of the car and then the most I can fit at the front. I am just not sure how wide the size can be up front.

Being I use manual steering, I do prefer a smaller tire in the front. I stick to the wider, but smaller size.

I like the staggered look. I have 205/60 front and 215/60 back. 15x7 rims.

I also prefer the staggered look. 15 x 7's, front 205/60's and rear 225/60's. For comparison, the top two photos, I had 225's all around the bottom two photos are the 205's up front with NPD lowering springs and the Arning drop.

IMG_0001A.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Picture083a.jpg

Picture085a-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

225x60x15s all the way around. I would recommend no larger than 215s if you want to avoid tire/fender problems on the front.

"DEL65" said:
I also prefer the staggered look. 15 x 7's, front 205/60's and rear 225/60's. ... the bottom two photos are the 205's up front with NPD lowering springs and the Arning drop.
man that looks good
Picture083a.jpg

Picture085a-1.jpg

Darn it Del, I'm going to have to drop my 65 now. I have same size tires as you, but no drop....Looks great!

I've gotta get it painted first!

Mel

Staggered look : if you don't drive many mls / weekend cruiser / looks / ect
Non Staggered look : if you drive it alot , so you can rotate the tires.

I have on my 67 fastback : TTII with 245/45/17 all four corners
on 65/66 models you can't go this route , it must be smaller.
See silverblueBP.

BTW DEL65 : looks awesome !! nice set up.

Thank you very much for the comments.

IIRC the difference between the height of the 205's and 225's is 1/2" to 1". The rear suspension is stock with newer leaf springs.

BTW, for extra clearance, I rolled all four wheel lips

In the past I had 205s up front and 235s out back on 14" wheels. Now with my new 15" wheels, I have 225s all around. Next time I buy tires, I'll go back to staggered tire widths.

That being said, I think it is important to get the sidewall height to be the same on the thin front and fat back tires - unless you are going for the top fuel dragster look.

IMO the difference in tire width is pretty minimal in the early cars due to the smaller rear wheelhouses. A 205 vs 225 tire isn't a great deal different in width, so the visual effect would be minor. If we are talking about 205 front and 295 rears then I say go for the staggered. If the widths are somewhat close, go for the same tire width due to being able to rotate them. Simply my opinion though.

"buening" said:
IMO the difference in tire width is pretty minimal in the early cars due to the smaller rear wheelhouses. A 205 vs 225 tire isn't a great deal different in width, so the visual effect would be minor. If we are talking about 205 front and 295 rears then I say go for the staggered. If the widths are somewhat close, go for the same tire width due to being able to rotate them. Simply my opinion though.

275 rear Vs. 225 front

2_11_11_09_11_14_26_2.JPG

Back