• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trying to stab the C6 to the 460. Not going so well.

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
How do you guys typically join an engine & tranny, exterior of the vehicle?

I have the 460 sitting on a mobile engine cradle that I made and the C6 resting on my floor jack. I lift up the trans to the block height, but the angles are just not right no matter how much I tilt it, etc., it seems. The T-converter is fully engaged into the pump & the 4 T-converter bolts are through the flywheel holes. But it still doesn't want to go together.

Would it be easier to sit everything on the floor perhaps for alignment purposes? All I know is that it's killing my back trying to lift that trasmission up and wiggle it into place!

I have normally used a couple old tires as support for the engine and done it on the floor. The tires can be used with some small 2x4's for getting the angle and support. Keep the tranny on the jack so it can be moved around.

Hmm...

I usually put the engine on my lift with a leveler, and have the transmission lifted off the floor on an old milk crate. The leveler allows me to line them up pretty well. Interesting to hear what others do though.

Good luck,
-Rory

I've never mated a 460 and a C6 but I don't think it would be any different than a SB and C4. I usually would have the engine supported by the hoist resting on the floor and slide the tranny up to it.
You absolutely sure they are compatible? Shaft length/bellhousing, spline, etc.? If you've got the converter fully seated I can't think of why you'd have a problem. How close are you to getting it?

I seem to recall when I bolted this trans to the other 460, I did it on the floor too - but that was without converter, etc. I will try it on the floor again.

"Horseplay" said:
I've never mated a 460 and a C6 but I don't think it would be any different than a SB and C4. I usually would have the engine supported by the hoist resting on the floor and slide the tranny up to it.
You absolutely sure they are compatible? Shaft length/bellhousing, spline, etc.? If you've got the converter fully seated I can't think of why you'd have a problem. How close are you to getting it?

This 460 is the same as the other 460 I used for mock-up & the C6 bolted up fine to that engine. It's close - the angle is just wrong. The top touches tight but flares out at the bottom, or a side. I am just having lots of trouble with the alignment during the mating process.

I think it will be a lot easier with everything sitting flush on the floor.

:sm_NTA

Pretty sure you've got it turned around backwards...

26_14_12_09_8_08_20.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
"AzPete" said:
Dang...it is one pin in one hole......how hard is that?
Careful Pete. Give him enough crap and he'll lump you in with Bob and ole' what's his name.

"Horseplay" said:
Careful Pete. Give him enough crap and he'll lump you in with Bob and ole' what's his name.

Yea, I forgot....ole' what's his name isn't so bad but that Bob has been posting stuff about certain "body parts" on the political board....don't want that association.....lol

did you make sure the converter fits the crank? mismatched years? I have a 70 429 and a 77 C6 and the pilot hole is smaller on the 70 engine so I needed the older converter. If you have a newer engine and older trans it will be sloppy but should go together. I don't recall what year they changed.
Just letting you know if you don't already...

"tarafied1" said:
did you make sure the converter fits the crank? mismatched years? I have a 70 429 and a 77 C6 and the pilot hole is smaller on the 70 engine so I needed the older converter. If you have a newer engine and older trans it will be sloppy but should go together. I don't recall what year they changed.
Just letting you know if you don't already...

No Craig, I didn't know that. I guess I need to test fit the T.C. to the crank/fly wheel tongiht. But the engine is a D7 and the trans is a D5 - but that doesn't mean the converter is a '75.

Thanks for the heads up Craig.

"70_Fastback" said:
LoL.

AND you still didn't answer the question though.
My name? It gets thrown out around here now and again. Matter of fact, someone mentioned me by name in a post again just today.

Back