• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Well, I guess I'm gonna rebuild the carb(update)

I'll get a pic so Mark will shut up. By the way, how's that mower coming? Stock style pump (mechanical without the filter) with Edelbrock Performer series intake and carb. I'm using a spacer. I've got an extra set of hands coming over tomorrow to put a new (and smarter) brain on it. We'll see what happens. If it is locking why did it just decide to start? Nothing was changed when it first happened. Like I said, new perspective tomorrow so hopefully we'll come up with something.

"blue65coupe" said:
If it is locking why did it just decide to start? Nothing was changed when it first happened.

That is how a vapor lock works. There is no mechanical lock of anything. The fuel in the line and fuel pump gets hot and vaporizes. This causes the fuel to stop flowing as the vapor "locks" the line/pump. As things cool, the vapor disappears and you now have fuel movement. Time can vary based on many things. An electric fuel pump can eliminate this.

"AzPete" said:
That is how a vapor lock works. There is no mechanical lock of anything. The fuel in the line and fuel pump gets hot and vaporizes. This causes the fuel to stop flowing as the vapor "locks" the line/pump. As things cool, the vapor disappears and you now have fuel movement. Time can vary based on many things. An electric fuel pump can eliminate this.
vented gas cap helps too, the spacer material might be a factor. Aluminum transfers heat, phenolic will insulate heat from the carb...

1" spacer with the insert. Advance bought. I can see the vapor locking point b/c the fuel filter is so freaking hot. I guess my question is why is it getting so hot if that's causing it? Would it be because the fuel is heating up in the line and if so, why did that start? I understand how vapor lock works but if that's what it did initially when nothing had been changed, why just start? Something has to cause it to "all of a sudden start vapor locking". If it is vapor locking that would explain the rough running as if the timing was retarded which would cause it to heat up to 210*. Where as I thought the initial heating up could have caused the problem, it actually might have been an effect from the problem. (I had that brainstorm last night) I threw out a few extra ideas to the guy coming over tomorrow so we'll see. It just needs a new person looking at it. Also Pete, if it's vapor locking due to the fuel heating up somewhere within the line (I"m saying not carb due to the heat of the fuel filter) how is an e-pump gonna solve this? Could it be the pump is heating up due to the engine and the e-pump would eliminate this? If so, why "just start for no reason"? I'm gonna buy some more fuel line tomorrow b/c if he thinks that's what it is we'll re-route the line to find out.

Did the fuel line come loose and maybe get real close to the headers / exhaust pipe?

If your fuel pump has weakened a bit, the heat could now cause the vapor lock. The actual vaporized fuel is in the pump, not allowing the diaphragm to function properly. The air does not move, it just compresses a bit. An electric pump will keep the fuel moving because of the function of the pump plus they are normally in a cooler environment.

Fuel line did not come loose and pump is brand spanking new. I'm sure we'll be checking the pressure tomorrow. If by chance it's not up to snuff, the reason should be the activation of the pump and not the pump itself. In that case I'll block it off and buy an e-pump. I think another brain and set of eyes is gonna help out tremendously. Mine is just going over everything at once.

It was doing it with the old pump also. I know what you mean Mark. My dartboard looks like it's been hit with 12 ga.

Another dart......

Have you replaced any rubber fuel lines in your system. I have seen a rubber line develop a flaw inside and it would act like a flap and shut off the fuel supply temporarily. If it is in a good, tight system, it could even cause a vacuum.

Did you happen to fill the tank just prior to having vapor lock problems? It could be reformulated gas (e.g. 10% ethanol) that might lower the boiling point of the gas just enough to give you problems.

[Edit for the :gobp minds] Randy, the day the problem initially occurred I had filled the car up with gas that morning. I also suspected that but with the new tank I've been using gas from a different station than the original problem fill up. I'm going to get more gas tomorrow from a different station also. Pete, the rubber line that could be suspect will probably be replaced tomorrow with the more than likely re-routing. We'll see.

I almost washed the monitor with coffee when I read that . Mark was thinking the same as me. I just happened to start reading at that post. :yikes :mid

Back