• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What gear ratio do you have?

Kats66Pny

Yesterday at the car show when I was talking to an owner of a 71 mustang, we were discussing rear ends and he asked what set up I have which I had no clue. Well talking about it more, a few agreed I probably have 4:11 in Gertrude. Especially since the PO built her for a drag car. Everyone who looks at the engine, etc keeps telling me this car was built to run. :shrug

I do recall when I had a tach installed, she'd run over 3000 RPM on the highway. I think it was about 3200-3500 going I'd guess between 60-70mph. No speedo so based speed on the fact I'd be keeping with flow of traffic and posted speed limit ranged from 65-70. Oh and had this awful whine like it was just wanting to shift. I do know I have a 9" posi rear though! :thu

Anyway, I was just curious what you guys have. I had one friend recommend going to 3:73 and said he'd kick my butt if I went lower. Supposedly Gertrude is a bad b*tch the way she's built but I'd like to tone it down so Gertrude is a little more highway friendly. Oh and if I change the gear ratio, then I'll have to change my stall converter (which supposedly I have a large one) too?

Thinking of the future and possible Power Tour long haul. :roll

I have 3.70 gears in my 9". I have an OD tranny and can go 70 and only spin about 2,000 rpm. :yah

3:55 makes a good all around gear. 3:73 are a bit more fun in town but do suck more fuel. My last two had 3:55's and had no issues getting up and going quickly. OD helps with anything from 3:55 and up.

I have a 3.00:1, which is great for gas mileage and a high top end.

"My car can go faster than yours. Na-na-na-na-na!"

"Midlife" said:
I have a 3.00:1, which is great for gas mileage and a high top end.

"My car can go faster than yours. Na-na-na-na-na!"

.....if he can figure out how to move it out of the garage......

"Kats66Pny" said:
Yesterday at the car show when I was talking to an owner of a 71 mustang, we were discussing rear ends

This is one of my favorite discussions with women at car shows.

Butt seriously for a brief moment, I run 3:55 with a T5Z. Very happy with it.

I was told by a friend not to touch anything, and if I must change it and I do anything less than 3:73... he will kick my a$$. :wtf

Guys that say that don't have to drive them in the highway.

I am happy with my tko and 353 gears. The wife's 67 has a t5 and 300 gears. They are ok, but they gotta go.

Mel

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

"guruatbol" said:
Guys that say that don't have to drive them in the highway.

Exactly!!! This guy has a 97 that puts out 550hp that rarely leaves the garage. LOL

Attachments

• 97stang.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 88
I've run a number of different ratio's. 4.11's are pretty much drag strip gears. If you plan on a Long Haul and don't have an OD trans, be prepared to spend a lot in gas money! I ran 3.25's this year with no OD and averaged about 14 mpg. Spent $1,000 in gas for the trip. That was premium fuel but you get the idea. I ran 3.70's before and the "feel" is a lot better but would have nearly doubled my fuel costs at around 9 mpg. Last year I had a 2.50 set in there and averaged 16 mpg.

i've got 3.73's in mine & in the process of switching the c-4 out to a t5. i never liked anything lower than 3.55 with a t5 in the fox cars. my preference was 3.25. i'm hoping that with the new taller tires, it will tame the gear ratios a bit . had a friend back in the day that put a 3.73 in his 88 gt & 1st & 2nd gear were useless under normal driving conditions.

Keep in mind that the TKO has a lower 1st and 2nd gear than the T5.

In the 67 with stock rear and a T5 it launches OK and cruises at 80 in 5th gear at around 2k. The 65 with 353 gears and a TKO launches way better and cruises at 80 in 5th gear at around 2200.

The drawback is when I want to pass in either car I have to down shift to 4th in the 65 and 3rd in the 67.

I guess my point is that an OD trans is a must IMHO. If no OD then the factory had it right with the higher gears.

The bottom line is make the car what you want!

Mel

Currently running 2.79 in my '67 with a C4. However, I'm on the fence on whether to upgrade to 3.25 or 3.40 with the same trans. I'm leaning towards 3.40, understanding the fuel penalty over the 2.79, but it'll pay itself back in smiles. Just can't hit the sweet spot of my motor with the 2.79, although it's great on the highway.

Back