• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What gear ratio do you have?

"AzPete" said:
Make the car what you want....not anyone else.

:thu.. I have to agree with Pete here. Its your ride, do what you want.

But think before you make any changes, You have a C4 and would like OD.
Making a gear change now may not work later on down the road after installing an Od trans.
Now your paying for a change again.
I don't know how many times I've heard that line "You should do this" and just shake my head.
Running a toploader and a 3.50 rear make my car do what I want it to do.
Somewhat street friendly and can make a 1/4mi pass with fairly good time slips.
It was built to enjoy and have alittle tire burning fun now and then.
Yes Od would be nice on the highway for fuel mileage but most 5 or 6 speeds would make 1st gear worthless even with the 3.50 rear it would be blowing the tires off it just pulling away from a stop sign.
So a GearVendors OD would be the best option for my build.

I want Gertrude to keep a little drag car in her (I really do love her get up and go!), but I'd also like her to be more daily driving/highway friendly. I still want to be able to take her to the track and play every now and then and whoop some Chevy a$$, but I also don't want to break the bank on gas or hear that awful whine if I drive it on long trips.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I have no OD. I wish I did. I have a C4, automatic with a manual valve body.

If you have a C4 and only tach 3K on the highway you do NOT have a 4.11. I have a C4 with 3.80 gears and I tack 3500 to 3700 keeping up with traffic.

Do you have an 8 or 9" in it? that will quickly limit out possible gear choices. I have an 8" in mine, hence the 3.80 gears.

If you have a C4 and only tach 3K on the highway you do NOT have a 4.11. I have a C4 with 3.80 gears and I tack 3500 to 3700 keeping up with traffic.

It was over 3k is all I remember. I don't have the tach installed anymore so no exact rpm amount.

Do you have an 8 or 9" in it? that will quickly limit out possible gear choices. I have an 8" in mine, hence the 3.80 gears.

I have 9"

You'll have more than 9" after Gert gets her own Pink Boys. :thu

TapaYakin' from my iPhone

Kat, HOW do you want to occasionally dust some Chevy butt...flat out or stop light runnin'? Based on the deisres you've stated so far, daily driver AND a little race duty, you'll compromise some for each. You just gotta figure which side you want to lean towards overall. I can tell you this; a good friend had a '66 coupe when we were in H.S. He had a toploader and a 3.00 gear. He rebuilt the 289 and put on a dual plane Weiand with a 650 Holley, Hi-Po grind cam and a set of tri-y's. That's all...very basic performance mods. I'll never forget the night we dusted two guys in a '78 vette runnin' flat out. We walked away from them...and there were FOUR of us in the car! When they caught up several miles later at a stop light, the look on their faces was priceless! :yah

My vote, based on what you have and what you've stated so far......a 3:50.

I've got 3.80 gears with a TKO 600 and I think it is a great combination. Jumps out of the hole in first gear but can cruise at 70 mph turning only 2300 rpm. Got 15 mpg on the highway during the last road trip.
Mark

Kay, if u have a 9, swapping it out is something you can handle yourself. That is if you want to pick up a decent 3.0 or similar to use as a daily driver and put the 4.11 back in if u want to go out and stomp on it. I bet you could get the swap down to a system and complete it in under an hour easy.

"Fast68back" said:
Post a pic of your rear and we can tell you what you have.......

I hope to hell that wasn't directed towards Bruno.

Ok nevermind. I was told it was a 9" but then I ran across this page - http://kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

At least visually, it has the characteristics of an 8". Too early in the morning to be crawling under to do the socket test. :Katcof Anyway, it looks like this from behind. Dimples and drain plug. No hump.
rh7.jpg

Oh and while playing around on Google I found this. :confu
http://www.csgnetwork.com/gearratcalc.html

Back