• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Who here has bought and sold a lot of homes?

A

Anonymous

I have questions about house inspections and what current owners normally fix before the closing.

Not a lot but know many who have bought and sold...

Most of the time the repairs are a negotiating factor. Just get it all in writing no matter what you decide.

Yep, part of negotiating. Inspector comes in and WILL find shit wrong. It's their job. The buyer then tries to get as much fixed as possible by the seller without the price being raised.

A home that I built just sold for the third time. The good ole home inspector came and done his thing and found a crack in the garage floor and questioned the GFI circuit in the bedrooms. Virginia code requires "arc fault" circuit in each bedroom not GFI and this dude doesn't have a clue they are different? As far as I was told these was the only issues he could find. Most of these dudes have never built a house and have no real idea wtf they are doing. The only advantage to these inspections is maybe if they screw the pooch, then they can be sued. Not sure what kind of home you have but expect them to shake and flush the commodes, pull on the cabinet doors, examine the breaker box and check the GFI circuit breakers with a tester. Check the crawl space for a moisture barrier and the ventilation. Check the siding for rot if it's wood or masonite. Check the footers and concrete floors for cracks. Make sure the windows and doors open and close freely. Check the roof shingles for cracks and leaks. Check the insulation for thickness in the attic. Pretty much anything the common person can look at and say it's not right. It's funny, but these people can take a internet class and become a home inspector. They are a joke and dumb as a coal bucket.

You can ask for ANYTHING to be fixed/repaired as part of the conditions of your offer. Hell, you can request he leave his wife behind for you if you like. The only challenge is if there is other demand for the property they may take a pass on your offer and await another. Best course is ask for a little more than you will accept and allow yourself to be negotiated down. Get the seller to foot the bill for any big stuff and as much as possible on the little. So what if you have to spend $100 and a weekend fixing a couple little things in the end if you get the house you want at a good price. Such is the norm for home ownership anyway.

A little background...

I've been in construction a LONG time, built my own house, made lots of mods, can do most work on a house, but have never run into so many little items before in an inspection. Never had to negotiate getting them fixed or paid for before. We both like the house, but aren't buying a "fixer upper". Most of the items are from neglect and lack of upkeep. Each alone is not costly to fix, but when I add them all up, we're talking 4-7K.

I would never sell a house with so many items needing attention, but that's me.

There are NO other interested parties and the house has been for sale since last December.

Oh yeah, the inspector was actually good. He found a couple items I even missed. Course, I didn't get up on the roof, that's what I paid him to do :whis

Sounds like my SIL's house... The seller took care of a few minor details, but anything that required a little skill she accepted as is. We got them to conceed on the price some to cover a good portion of those costs. Some things you just want to be sure are done to your satisfaction. When you leave the seller to decide, they're typically looking for the cheap and easy way out so you'll probably just end up redoing it anyway.

When we bought our home almost six years ago we had a really good inspector.

When we received his list of items we decided some things were not pressing and let them be. Other things probably needed fixing sooner rather than later, for example there was a crack in the heater that could have led to a carbon monoxide leak.

We haggled with them some about having them fix minor things and they fixed most of it. A few other minor things we got fixed over time because they were minor like the rubber seal on the bottom of the garage door wasn't the greatest. Actually, a few years later I just replaced the entire garage door...

However, for the heater we asked for and got an allowance. I wanted to have it replaced myself. I knew if they replaced it they would put in the cheapest pos unit they could find and hire the cheapest labor they could find to get it done. They agreed to the allowance because they knew they couldn't sell the house unless it was fixed due to it being a serious hazard.

One other thought. If you are anything like me (that alone probably scared you), you may not want to force them to fix things as opposed to lowering the sale price to cover the repair costs. I rarely find that others do work to my standards so I'd rather do it myself. Seeing that you have no job it's likely you could find the time to do a few repairs. Househubby.

"Horseplay" said:
One other thought. If you are anything like me (that alone probably scared you), you may not want to force them to fix things as opposed to lowering the sale price to cover the repair costs. I rarely find that others do work to my standards so I'd rather do it myself. Seeing that you have no job it's likely you could find the time to do a few repairs. Househubby.

You know his track record building motors right?

Would you want :mark repairing your house?

"RustyRed" said:
"Horseplay" said:

You know his track record building motors right?

Would you want :mark repairing your house?
As long as I didn't live in a motor home I think I could trust him. All those years in the trade he had to pick up some skills...right?

:guns

That said, I would prefer money vs them fixing anything. They've already showed themselves to be negligent about their upkeep!

Hi Mark

My wife and I are Realtors in Northern California and have sold a few hundred homes in the last several years. If you have specific questions, I would be happy to give you my opinion. PM me if you would prefer.

Interesting development today, found out that the sellers are bringing in a contractor first of next week to look at the items on the list. I really thought they'd tell me to pound salt (that may still happen of course). I went back and compared the inspection report to the house disclosure and none of the items the inspector found were listed on the disclosure.

Hopefully they are not just getting an estimate to throw numbers around you...

You might want to get some numbers together for the repairs also....the best you can not having access to the house.

"silverblueBP" said:
Interesting development today, found out that the sellers are bringing in a contractor first of next week to look at the items on the list. I really thought they'd tell me to pound salt (that may still happen of course). I went back and compared the inspection report to the house disclosure and none of the items the inspector found were listed on the disclosure.
Just make sure Deb signs off on it.

"70 StangMan" said:
"silverblueBP" said:

F off

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

"silverblueBP" said:
"70 StangMan" said:
"silverblueBP" said:

F off
I always do.

Back