• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Winter Mustang project(s) agenda?

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
Assuming you actually have a winter, what are (if any) your plans for Mustang upgrades, changes, etc?

I am in the starting stages of fab'ing my own adjustable strut rods and then after than will be an adjustable coil-over, 4 link rear end with a fab'd watts link too.

I will do build threads on each respectively when the time comes.

The trans on the ratrod going bad kind of burned me out & pissed me off; so I am going to shelve that ride until spring time I think.

So, what's your plans? Share away.

No big plans except start saving up for wheels and body work & paint job. I might attempt body work myself, but who knows. Depends what income tax return and my husbands bonus looks like. Other than body work and paint, the only other stuff to do really is install all the interior and I don't want to do that until its painted.

My "winter" project is to go for a drive in ole red everyday that it aint rainin' until winter turns into summer. :steer

1. install the Canton deep pan (a craigslist score) and new oil pump + shaft while I'm at it
2. install new heater core (with a/c, I've been putting this one off for almost 10 years now)
3. install trans shift kit (and risk screwing up a perfectly good-running trans in the process) or just replace the leaking trans pan gasket.

COMPLETE brake job front & rear.
New tires front & rear.
New Koni shocks & struts.
Replace PS pump and wiper motor.
Replace 6pc headlight set.

I've got 60% of the parts here already, 20% more on the way, and a few left to source...

My main project is working on finding more time! For the Mustang, the 65 needs the brake and fuel lines finished. Some wiring finished and then get it running. Hope to accomplish all by spring time so the wet sanding and painting can be done.

On my driver, I need to fix several electrical issues, including replacing the main harness that midlife refurbished. Just got back the harness from the witch doctor who de-cursed it. Next I taking it to a priest who will bless it.

On my wife's driver, continue to put miles on it to ensure it is up to the Power Tour next year.

Pull motor, check it over, fix oil leak, add larger fuel filter. Dream about installing that full floater rear axle setup from Shaun!

Send my front sway bar to Dan for powder coating.

Finish body work, not much left
Paint/clear cut/buff

I'd like to do the 8.8 rear & rebuild front suspension, But i need to decide on an engine/Trans combo- 289/T5 OR 428/toploader..... :shrug

my winter project IS the mustang. I dream about a time when the car is on the road, and I can do 1 or 2 improvements a year.. until then all my time, energy and $ are going into getting the car rebuilt and on the road.

"janschutz" said:
On my driver, I need to fix several electrical issues, including replacing the main harness that midlife refurbished. Just got back the harness from the witch doctor who de-cursed it. Next I taking it to a priest who will bless it.

On my wife's driver, continue to put miles on it to ensure it is up to the Power Tour next year.

Resistance is futile...

I'm looking for somthing to do on our Mustangs. I think Red has a small tranny leak - oh joy, something to tinker with. Shag has a split upper arm boot that I get to replace. Otherwise just drive the cars!! Actually might have Red's rear bumber rechromed for it's starting to look a little copperish!

And when I'm not working on a Mustang, I hope to be squeezing more lemons.

"BobV" said:
COMPLETE brake job front & rear.
New tires front & rear.
New Koni shocks & struts.
Replace PS pump and wiper motor.
Replace 6pc headlight set.

Help Jeremy re-align his front end once he gets the adjustabe strut rods made & installed.

I've got 60% of the parts here already, 20% more on the way, and a few left to source...

Nice plan Bob!

:roll

"Mach1ne" said:
Have Jeremy weld up my rear roll bar supports.

Bring it over bud! You can pick your flaring kit up... or just leave it for payment of welding services. :hide

I've only got a 1 car garage and currently my '65 El Camino is in there apart for final body work. I haven't had a chance to do anything with either car for the last few months, so trying to decide in the next week or two which car to store offsite.
If the El Camino goes away, then I've got about 20 small projects for the Mustang. The biggest ones: Re check the pushrod length, find the source of a small oil leak (hopefully VC gasket), Install gas strut and lighting for the trunk , finish trimming out the '89 steering column, hook up clock and courtesy lights on console, hideaway backup lighting, hideaway front license plate, Fab up front sway bar links and hook up 1-3/8 sway bar, plus a lot of other little things...

If the El Camino stays, install fatmat, finish straightening / blocking the body, prep for springtime paint, recondition trim, widen rear wheels 1".

"Mach1ne" said:
Have Jeremy weld up my rear roll bar supports.

Are you crazy?? I wouldn't trust my life to his crappy welds!

Back