• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1965 Fastback restomod

The cowl patches are interesting, haven't seen that before. Are you guys just going to delete them and smooth it out?

The cowl will look like this Convertible we did when we are finished.

11-2.jpg

The heater holes were filled in.

202.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg

Brian is starting on the left door jamb it has more rust than the right side

195.jpg

196.jpg

Repair one section at a time

205.jpg

206.jpg

207.jpg

Progress on the left door jamb.

209.jpg

211.jpg

212.jpg

213.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wow awesome metal work, way to save her..wish i had some of those skills. that is something that i do wish to learn

The inner structure of the left door jamb is almost finished. Brian starting making the outer section.

214.jpg

215.jpg

216.jpg

217.jpg

Are you guys going to reuse the original roof? Otr are you going to put on a repop?

I have some rust holes along the back edge of my roof and from what i can see in through the holes, a lot of rust on the support that runs underneath.

I'm trying to figure out If I should take off the whole roof to clean that all out, or just cut off the back edge and patch it.

I don't seem as good as you guys at drilling spot welds dead nuts on center, so I'm sure if I take off the whole original roof, the side edges will be too messed up to put it back on.

Further, dressing off plug welds in the recessed area between the drip rail and the roof doesn't seem like it would be fun either.

"jtfx6552" said:
Are you guys going to reuse the original roof? Otr are you going to put on a repop?

I have some rust holes along the back edge of my roof and from what i can see in through the holes, a lot of rust on the support that runs underneath.

I'm trying to figure out If I should take off the whole roof to clean that all out, or just cut off the back edge and patch it.

I don't seem as good as you guys at drilling spot welds dead nuts on center, so I'm sure if I take off the whole original roof, the side edges will be too messed up to put it back on.

Further, dressing off plug welds in the recessed area between the drip rail and the roof doesn't seem like it would be fun either.

We are going to use the original roof without drip rails.

You would be better off removing the roof if you have rust. The braces are bare metal and will have rust.

I've been anxiously awaiting updates...In some earlier pictures it seems the car has some rust around the trap door opening/roof support? I was curious how you were going to handle that.

I just noticed that this became available:

RSD4.jpg

I have one to install in mine since I had a lot of rust back there.

It's a shame, Dynacorn made it with one less piece on each side. I'm changing the one I got to match the original version.

I still haven't commited to taking the roof off though...yet

"jtfx6552" said:
I've been anxiously awaiting updates...In some earlier pictures it seems the car has some rust around the trap door opening/roof support? I was curious how you were going to handle that.

I just noticed that this became available:

RSD4.jpg

I have one to install in mine since I had a lot of rust back there.

It's a shame, Dynacorn made it with one less piece on each side. I'm changing the one I got to match the original version.

I still haven't commited to taking the roof off though...yet

We have a lot of rust in the back and that piece will make it a lot easier

Brian taped the area he will be plug welding before applying epoxy

218.jpg

Fitting the inner cowl panel

219.jpg

Welding the inner cowl panel

220.jpg

221.jpg

Brian ground the welds and is now ready to install the top cowl panel

222.jpg

Top cowl panel after welds are ground

223.jpg

I am speechless. Thank you so much for documenting all the work.

I would have never thought about applying tape to keep from painting where the welds are going to go. I have been painting and then grinding the paint off where I will be welding. I am soo going to be borrowing this idea, thank you.

Brian started patching the top of the right windshield post. He made a small patch panel than ground the welds

228.jpg

229.jpg

Brushed some epoxy inside before welding the next patch

231.jpg

Brian made the last patch on the right windshield post

233.jpg

234.jpg

236.jpg

238.jpg

Back