• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1965 Fastback restomod

Thank you soo much for answering our questions and for sharing this build with us, I am learning so much from this .

Top of the left windshield post

241.jpg

Brian cut out the first area he wanted to patch

243.jpg

Test fitting the pattern he made

244.jpg

Brushed epoxy in the area before he welds the patch over it

247.jpg

Brian started making the patches on the left windshield post

248.jpg

249.jpg

Brian finished the top of the windshield post

252.jpg

253.jpg

254.jpg

257.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the build on pro-touring is the same fastback or a different one? some of the pictures look familiar. just curious?

"fordrule" said:
the build on pro-touring is the same fastback or a different one? some of the pictures look familiar. just curious?

It is the same car. I just found out about this forum recently and thought I would share the build here and I'm not up to date yet.

Rusty,

I keep coming back and looking at the pictures, the work is so nice. Sorry to keep asking weld finishing questions, but how does Brian do those inside corners so nice?

Really, I'm not sure how is is dressing any of them so nice, but the inside corners seem particularly amazing.

I've got a few of my welds well enough were they won't ned a lot of filler, but none as nice as these, and most of the ones Brian has done are in much more difficult to grind locations.

"GPR" said:
It is the same car. I just found out about this forum recently and thought I would share the build here and I'm not up to date yet.

You contribution is greatly appreciated. This thread will come in very handy for others facing the same challenge.

Brian has the windshield posts and front door jamb finished. He sanded and epoxy primed the next step is to install the new dash.

261.jpg

262.jpg

265.jpg

267.jpg

The new dash was installed.

271.jpg

272.jpg

The major bodywork is finished on the cowl. I just need to prime and block sand a couple of times. We are waiting for the apron to cowl extensions to come in than I will epoxy prime.

274.jpg

It may not look like it but Brian plug welded the fender apron extensions to the cowl and than I epoxy primed.

276.jpg

277.jpg

279.jpg

280.jpg

"jtfx6552" said:
I've been anxiously awaiting updates...In some earlier pictures it seems the car has some rust around the trap door opening/roof support? I was curious how you were going to handle that.

I just noticed that this became available:

RSD4.jpg

I have one to install in mine since I had a lot of rust back there.

It's a shame, Dynacorn made it with one less piece on each side. I'm changing the one I got to match the original version.

I still haven't commited to taking the roof off though...yet

I want to thank you this came in and what a great part. It will save the owner $$$$$$$$$$$ in labor costs.

I've learned a lot form this thread, it is nice to be of some help.

Any hints on how Brian grinds those inside welded corners so nice?

"jtfx6552" said:
I've learned a lot form this thread, it is nice to be of some help.

Any hints on how Brian grinds those inside welded corners so nice?

His first answer was skill! He uses a 3" 50 grit disc and than when they wear out he cuts them down and uses a smaller backing pad. Sometimes he uses different size cut off wheels or grinding discs.

We have a new rear panel so Brian removed the old one. This will save a lot of time.

282.jpg

After the panel was removed he had to make a patch for the front trunk floor

283.jpg

284.jpg

After Brian cleaned up the plug welds

285.jpg

Fitting the trunk floor and gas tank

288.jpg

Next step was to test fit the quarters, taillight panel and deck lid. Once everything is lined up the trunk floor will be drilled and plug welded.

289.jpg

290.jpg

291.jpg

"70_Fastback" said:
Brian has the greatest job in the world. Hands down.

I am jealous as hell!
Hey, I offered you the opportunity to work on my car and you balked because of a little airplane ride. Make up your mind man!

Now that the rear panels fit it is time to prep the frame rails. As Brian was cleaning the front trunk floor he found a few rust pin holes. He cut out the bad area and made three patches one at a time to keep it from warping the edge that hangs down.

292.jpg

Brian ground all the welds on the patch than brushed a heavy coat of epoxy in the frame rails

293.jpg

299.jpg

Back