• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1991 Saleen #039 - It's A-L-I-V-E (again)!!!

Re: Presenting: 1991 Saleen #039

I hope you do not do any project scheduling at your work.

Just let us know if you guys are wanting to meet for lunch or dinner on Saturday.

I also hope that your Hooty Hoo tatoo comes out okay. You don't want to scare anyone.

How many times can you get Mom tatoo'd on yourself??

"silverblueBP" said:
How many times can you get Mom tatoo'd on yourself??
He couldn't remember how to spell "Mom" and has to get it re-done...

Bob, sorry for being so late to start following your project. I've now read every post from the beginning. Yeah, I'm slow but I get there. Your Saleen is looking great! I noticed how you repeatedly mentioned missing the frustrating little things like screws and plugs. Well, I have a '92 SSP LX coupe that I stripped out for the drive train.

Now, before anyone starts sending me hate mail for stripping an SSP car, it was totaled...HARD! Also, neither myself or the previous owner knew it was an SSP until after I was getting down to the last few bits and found the extra body buck tag.

Anyhow, please feel free to shoot me a PM. If there's any body/trim hardware, plugs, etc that you're missing, If I have them you're welcome to them. When I removed stuff I tried to keep it in the car instead of just tossing it. Of course, anything to do with the electrics or drive train are what I needed so I really can't part with those. There were also some interior parts stripped out before I got the car. The shell is covered so most everything is still tossed in side and semi protected. (Though only about 1/2 complete, it's got a grey interior too!).

Had a little tinker time today... Did a couple fluid checks on the trans and rear axle. Took it out for a little "exercise. Car is running very well!!!

New shift knob and Pioneer EQ-3000 equalizer are both installed.
Stereo head unit is still on the "to do" list.
HPIM4459.jpg

Also, did a little cleaning & organizing. Pulled the plug wires and cleaned them individually, as well as a re-routing. Also removed the Cobra intake plaque in preparation for installing a black Saleen rear hatch decal (as soon as UPS brings it, my windshield banner, and a distributor cover...)
HPIM4454.jpg

I'll remove the MUSTANG lettering and install one of these in black on the blank area of the intake...
HPIM4342.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Been doing a lot of tinkering lately, only a few things picture-worthy. I got a deal on a complete rubber body plug kit and interior screw set, so I've been busy replacing all the missing hardware.
I did end up buying a Mr Heater 35000 BTU propane heater for the garage ($79). Much nicer working conditions now.

Started polishing up the rims. The hoops are looking good. Haven't started spokes yet - may end up repainting.
HPIM4473.jpg

Been wrestling with which stereo to install. Finally settled on a period-correct Pioneer DEH520 CD player and EQ3000 equalizer. Looks much better than the JVC that was in there.
HPIM4474.jpg

Here's the "before" shot...
HPIM4363.jpg

New door weatherstripping installed. Old stuff was all chewed up from the sagging map pockets.
HPIM4478.jpg

New correct decals in place on windshield and rear hatch. Repainted the wiper arms too.
HPIM4482.jpg

HPIM4479.jpg

I never posted pics of the finished intake manifold...
HPIM4464.jpg

And the "before":
photo8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Looking good Bob. You always get a little satisfaction from fixing the little things.

Got my Agent47 front brake cooling kit today. It will hook up to my front brake duct inlets in the front valance. The brackets are aluminum and won't add much weight. My GT500 wheels will also reduce my unsprung weight by over three pounds per wheel not including the tires.

FINALLY getting some time to start putting the car back together..... :yah

The 9" rear is gone... Tarafied had a nice, fresh 8.8 foxbody rear that he had no use for - with traction-lock and new Ford 3.55 gears in it. We swapped my Currie housing and 31-spline axles straight up. He's cutting the brackets off and using it in the Stangfix drag car - win/win for both of us! We met in St Louis last weekend and swapped. SilverblueBP is getting the 9" 3.50 geared chunk. I got lucky and found a clean 1990 Lincoln LSC at the local Pick n Pull that donated it's axles, axle brackets, and dust shields. I kept my rotors, calipers and caliper brackets from the 9", since they are correct.

Tonight I pulled the drums and 4-lug fox axles out of the 8.8, then re-assembled the rear with my stuff. Along the way, I found a few "gotcha's", like a center brake hose severely rubbed, and a metal line with severe wear and a crack. Looks like I'll need those now. I also pulled off the UCA that was obviously bad...

Replacement UCA's are on the way already, as well as a driveshaft yoke flange, and rear lower shock brackets. I'll get a new metal line and hose this weekend.

Here's a few pics of where I'm at:

Bad brake line:
eb008ef3.jpg

Bad center hose:
c89e84c9.jpg

Think this UCA is bad?
19eb9e56.jpg

8e169a98.jpg

Rear axle mostly assembled:
fb067928.jpg

032b8181.jpg

Those control arms are OK, nothing some WMD40 won't fix.

Yeah, I figured that control arm was OK... I mean, where can the bushing go? :shrug :char

I wasn't expecting the hose issue - good thing I looked it over, as it's rubbed completely thru the outer sheath. Now to FIND one... Not standard Mustang stuff.
Even the metal brake lines could be interesting, as they are 1/4" instead of 3/16, with different size fittings at each end. :wtf

"BobV" said:
Yeah, I figured that control arm was OK... I mean, where can the bushing go? :shrug :char

I wasn't expecting the hose issue - good thing I looked it over, as it's rubbed completely thru the outer sheath. Now to FIND one... Not standard Mustang stuff.
Even the metal brake lines could be interesting, as they are 1/4" instead of 3/16, with different size fittings at each end. :wtf

Bob, don't forget that I have a nice hydraulic brake flaring set (all sizes of dies) in case you need to fab up a few lines. It works like a charm.

Later.

Skip

"Mach1ne" said:
Bob, don't forget that I have a nice hydraulic brake flaring set (all sizes of dies) in case you need to fab up a few lines. It works like a charm.

Oh, I remember!!! :thu :thu :thu

Re: 1991 Saleen #039 - Carnage Continues

Yeah, dumba$$ me, pointed the pinion down and pulled the cover, hoping to avoid draining the gear lube. Pulled the 6mm lock bolt, center pin, and 1 c-clip. Pulled the 2nd c-clip and bumped into the housing on the way out. Ker-ploink! Dropped the c-clip straight into the gear lube, so I ended up draining it to fish the clip back out... :nut :char

Other than that, it was a very smooth install until I ran into the brake line/hose problems. Everything went together like it's supposed to! :thu Still need to install the rotor dust shields, but I won't do that until the rear is safely back under the car.

Re: 1991 Saleen #039 - Carnage Continues

Bob, I got those quad shock brackets off if you need them still. PM me your address and I will ship 'em to ya

#39 came down off the jack-stands today for the 1st time in several months..... :steer

The new, correct 3.55 geared 8.8" rear-end is in (Thanks AGAIN Craig!). I had to bend a couple new rear metal brake-lines (they are 1/4" from Saleen, not your typical 3/16"). Also had to locate a new rear brake hose - it's NOT standard Mustang stuff. I finally located one off a Lincoln Mark VII LSC. The upper rear control arms had to be replaced too. I also pulled the ugly white rear shocks off, scuffed and re-painted them the correct Gloss Black. I also had to change the driveshaft from the U-joint to a flange mount - just more stuff to deal with.

The Master cylinder had been changed at some point, and was incorrect for a 4-wheel disc car. I located an NOS aluminum one from PPI, and that got installed along with bending new front metal lines from the MC to the PV. The M/C is very similar to the SVO master, with a slightly smaller bore.

I'm still in the middle of several projects on the car that limited my drive today to a quick spin around the cul-de-sac...

I pulled the electric fan off, as it doesn't seem (to me) like it will move enough air for summer / A/C use. Picked up a perfect fan & clutch off a 20k mile Mercury Cougar. Well, the clutch fit fine, but the fan is an inch too big. Should have a correct Mustang 9-blade fan later this week...

I located a correct strut tower brace to replace the factory Saleen piece missing from the car. Still need to strip and repaint it... I really don't want to install it anyway until I'm SURE that I'm done messing with brake fluid and master cylinders, as it really limits access. Trial fit shows only ~1/8" clearance between the intake and brace - it's TIGHT!

I'm also in the middle of a new stereo install. Got a GREAT deal on 6 new Kicker speakers from www.halfpricecaraudio.com . I have one side (3 speakers) installed already. Taking longer than planned, as I'm double-checking all the wiring - found a couple speakers that were previously wired with reversed polarity, so I'm taking nothing for granted. Also bought a brand-new, in-the-box, never-installed early 90's Pioneer KEH-P6200 cassette head-unit with remote, and CD-changer controls. That's getting installed along with an upgraded (but still period-correct) Pioneer EQ4000 equalizer. I've located the matching CD changer (new in box) too, but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet...

So, nothing TOO exciting, but I figured that I was due for an update... :thu

Back