• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1991 Saleen #039 - It's A-L-I-V-E (again)!!!

Well, the car WAS together........ so I took it part-way back apart. :wth

Actually, I'm tearing down some of the engine compartment for cleaning. Shouldn't be anything major... (famous last words :hide )

Here's a few pics of what I'm doing...

Typical of the dirt & crud: (you can barely see the new master cylinder too)
ff767936.jpg

Here's the other side after cleaning. Paint is next:
b7c92775.jpg

Looks like a squirrel was nesting on the lower intake. :wtf
148edf28.jpg

Valvecovers are cleaning up pretty well:
9ade419b.jpg

Strut Tower brace cleaned, blasted & primed. Paint is next - as soon as I figure out the correct color:
49d04105.jpg

Fixed the incorrectly installed pedals. The right way:
a3691c93.jpg

The way they were:
HPIM4359.jpg

New Pioneer KEH-P6600 (with remote!) & EQ4000 equalizer installed:
0f865624.jpg

New antenna installed:
8cd96ad6.jpg

The old, broken one:
HPIM4364.jpg

I'm changing out the lugnuts. Original 13/16" hex makes for a VERY tight fit in the wheel. You end up scratching up the paint. I did some digging and came up with some 3/4" bulge seat. Fit much better, and you don't scratch up the wheels. (Tech tip I'm sending the Saleen club, as this is a common issue).
13/16 hex on left, 13/16 bulge seat in center, 3/4 bulge seat on right:
f4815b33.jpg

When installed, you can't see the difference easily... ( the one 3/4" nut is at 1:00 in this pic)
44faf940.jpg

Also picked up one of the original roller cargo shades for the hatch area this week. Just need to clean it up and install.

Last edited by a moderator:
They won't have to look very hard at all to find things to dock on this car! :char

Really only planning to do a couple shows this year anyway.
Mainly getting it presentable for cruise nights and driving!!! :steer

"BobV" said:
They won't have to look very hard at all to find things to dock on this car! :char

Really only planning to do a couple shows this year anyway.
Mainly getting it presentable for cruise nights and driving!!! :steer

Amen to that! The cruise nights are so much more fun that a show, to me now. I like the feedom of coming & going when you want. unlike a show, you are stuck there till the awards time, etc.

What cruise nights are you thinking about also Bob? And it's looking GREAT too! You are doing stuff that I would hate to do... LoL.

I only enter shows that I want to attend because in most cases it's cheaper to enter (for me and my wife) than pay to spectate. I get the swag and leave when I want to. I don't enter my car to be judged.
I do like the cruise nights and little local car shows. I'm excited about Hot Rod Power Tour coming up again!
Bob, that baby is looking good!

"70_Fastback" said:
Amen to that! The cruise nights are so much more fun that a show, to me now. I like the freedom of coming & going when you want. unlike a show, you are stuck there till the awards time, etc.

What cruise nights are you thinking about also Bob? And it's looking GREAT too! You are doing stuff that I would hate to do... LoL.

I'm planning on the Mustang club cruise nights (was at Winsteads, moving to 119th & Metcalf) and the Basehor cruise nights at Sonic. Hoping to hit a few of the Lawrence nights at Set Em Up Jacks - easy trip out K10 & excellent food!

I'll go to the Basehor show, and the Mustang club show at Bass Pro. No plans beyond that.

So many vacuum and electrical connections to keep track of - that's the biggest headache I'm fighting right now. Still have a couple minor things to sort out (power mirrors, etc), but it's coming together. Should be a fun cruiser. I just hope the A/C is a minor issue too..... hard to test it out until things warm up. I'm leaning toward finding a stock pulley set, and removing the underdrives for now - just one more variable. I think they installed too small of a crank pulley. :hs

I might have some stock pulleys that came with my 5.0, I'll check. Are they all the same or did Saleen use something special?

Nothing special. Just stock 5.0 - I've got the measurements at home...

Look how small this crank underdrive is! :wth
a6b696d5.jpg

Although I feel like a slacker compared to some of Jeremy & Mark's updates...

Finished up the paint work on the inner fenders and started putting things back together today.

Pulled the valvecovers to find GOOD news. Looks like someone did some nice work in the past. E351 1.72 Ford rollers and ARP head bolts are both a good sign. Found 1 leak on each valvecover that might explain what was previously thought to be a rear main leak. Sure looks like oil was running down the back of the block. The Saleen logo on the covers appears to be screen-printed, not decals. I think I saw these in one of the old Saleen catalogs, along with the 1.72 rockers... Have to get into the "library". Also discovered the screen was missing from under the PCV valve, so I picked one up. No screen and no baffle on the valvecover might explain the oily film inside the intake.

Rockers:
dfc521c8.jpg

One dirty valve cover:
54d0874e.jpg

And one clean one:
d2b6066e.jpg

Passenger side BEFORE:
b7c92775.jpg

AFTER:
6338fd95.jpg

Driver's side BEFORE:
ff767936.jpg

AFTER:
ab9c3bfa.jpg

Next up is to clean the firewall area, put the intake back together, and install the new fan. Then one final bleed of the brakes and install the freshly painted strut tower brace. Should be reading for some driving soon - coming up on 6 months since purchase!

Yeah, I've never had to deal with SO many vacuum lines and electrical connections before... Just getting to the stuff you want to work on is most of the battle! :wth I REALLY wanted to pull the motor out for a good cleaning, but I'm trying to resist my urge to over-do things... :hs

I got the car most of the way together yesterday. Was able to fire it up on the 1st turn of the key. Bleeding brakes today (vacation day), change the rest of the lugnuts, finish up the fan & shroud, add the strut tower brace, and it's done (for now).

Probably my last update for a while, as I'm about done WORKING and ready to start ENJOYING. Lots of cruise nights planned, maybe a show or two, as well as (hopefully) an autocross event of two. I've done quite a bit just getting it to this point, now it's time to PLAY!!!

Here's the semi-finished engine compartment, a couple little projects, but it's 99% "done enough"...

45b62d89.jpg

86061225.jpg

3e448cc8.jpg

d1bf46e7.jpg

24f3b991.jpg

e364dde1.jpg

Intake JUST clears the strut tower brace...
4cfb6591.jpg

I had the wheels off bleeding the brakes and changing to new lug nuts. So, while I was at it today... Took the opportunity to to pull both front inner fender liners for a thorough cleaning. Also removed all the tar splatters from all the wheel lips and ground effects...

ba8e3e1e.jpg

a047ef51.jpg

Man, that car looks good enough to park between Dan's clone and Skip's 07....at the track, wink, wink.

Back