• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

70_Fastback: RAT ROD - 193x Ford / 1942 GMC Truck

Well this weekend proved to be a pain in the arse. The engine has always ran rough since I got it. I chalked a lot of it up to the intake. Well after unsuccessfully tuning this thing over and over I finally decided to yank the heads and give if a valve job and man did it need it. None of the valves were seating properly. I held a piece of paper to the headers and the headers would actually try to suck the paper back up into the headers! Not good. So off they came.
441883b5-0136-5a1c.jpg

Went over to dad's to use his valve grinder to grind the valves and the seats. Man were they bad. I mic'd everything before and after and make sure my assembled heights were the same. I had to shave some of the stems off after cleaning up the seats to get the valves to seat properly. It was a pain in the ass!
441883b5-01d7-e2ba.jpg

Got the heads back on last night, hope to get it all buttoned back up in the next couple of nights and try it out. Hopefully it fixes all of the drivability problems.
441883b5-022c-d7bc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out yesterday and cut some header flanges and made some header turn downs to redirect some of the sound away from my ears.

These were from freebie 3" chrome motorcyle tips that I had to cut down and split open, widen and fill the gap and make 4" diamter to match my headers. Turned out pretty nice.

26-060812054952.jpeg

Did you have any longer bolts you could have used? Maybe run them all the way up and support the radiator with them.......Geez, the quality of some people's work these days.......

Since I had a change of heart and didn't (want to) sell it... I've been out driving it more since the snow is finally gone here in Kansas.

Decided to stop and snag a pic.

26-160513105452.jpeg

Headed to the first show for the truck this saturday as well.

Back