• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Aussie67's Coupe

These are actually a really good starter despite the crazy low price. Why pay a couple hundred more for some company's sticker on the damn thing?! Seriously.

Thanks mate, absolutely agree. I think I've seen these kicking around in Oz so I'll see if I can find one.

So replaced the starter with a pgrm and added a heat shield and while it works well, the bendix still doesn't disengage immediately once the engine starts. So going to replace the remote solenoid (left it wired up as I run some relays off it).

There are two wires connected to the two front posts on the solenoid. Are these for the ignition switch.? Assume one is power and the other an earth?

Tony

Both small control wires have power. The unit is grounded by the screws mounting it to the frame.

So replaced the starter with a pgrm and added a heat shield and while it works well, the bendix still doesn't disengage immediately once the engine starts. So going to replace the remote solenoid (left it wired up as I run some relays off it).

There are two wires connected to the two front posts on the solenoid. Are these for the ignition switch.? Assume one is power and the other an earth?

Tony
I thought I remembered something about the issue of the delayed disengagement, a quick search turned up this: https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/how-to-properly-wire-your-pmgr-mini-starter.218409/
About 1/4 of the way down it discusses the use of a bus bar. This may be your issue.

Frank

Both small control wires have power. The unit is grounded by the screws mounting it to the frame.

Bugger, must have screwed up the control wires/ posts. Managed to melt one of them. Connected the battery and instant BBQ. Will have to replace the wire as well now.

So it turned out that the shop sent me the wrong solenoid. Looks the same but different part number. My bad for not checking first.

Anyway, replaced the wire and reinstalled the old one and it works fine. Still have to pull the starter motor again.

Back