• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Boom's Boosted Bullitt

I have the 20 ton HF unit that I inherited from my father-in-law. It does 95% of my press needs, only once have I had to take a project to work to get the job done. That was a case of too long of an axle to fit the HF unit. HF quit giving out the "store wide" coupons, now just have coupons on specific items. If you keep watching you may catch the right one.

Yeah, I try and swing by whenever they have a decent sale and pick up something.

I saw the 12 ton press and couldn't believe how small it is. I'd have to operate it from a seat! Probably designed to keep folks from putting something huge in it.

There's a large shop press that's been sitting outside a shop on post that they're scrapping (because it doesn't have a safety shield:rolleyes:). I've already asked if I could have it. But I might be able to use it where it sits.

I have that 12 ton. So far it has done everything I have needed to do. Bought it to rebuild T5s. Worked great for that and I've done a few axle bearing swaps too with it. Also a bit of heavy gauge metal bending via some custom tooling forms. It's smaller size is great for tucking away when not needed.

I have that 12 ton. So far it has done everything I have needed to do. Bought it to rebuild T5s. Worked great for that and I've done a few axle bearing swaps too with it. Also a bit of heavy gauge metal bending via some custom tooling forms. It's smaller size is great for tucking away when not needed.
Do you think it'd do wheel bearings? Everyone says bigger is better, but I wouldn't be opposed to the lil press if it worked.

Could always try it amd see. I imagine they'd take it back of not.

It will do wheel bearings. I haven't run into anything yet it couldn't handle. If doing rear axle bearings, depending on axle length, you might have to invest in a couple lengths of a 6x6 timber to elevate it high enough to gain the travel distance you might need but actually pressing off the bearing is no issue.

Used my new Binford 12000 press I picked up from Harborland. Had to press the knuckles twice, once from each side to first get the hub out, then the wheel bearing.

Had a race pop put with one of the hubs. Thats gonna be a swift kick in the jimmies to remove. Thinking cutoff wheel and chisel probably.
20240813_143528.jpg
Got the hub soaking in evaporust overnight to try and clean it up a bit.

20240813_143611.jpg

The other bearing came out in one piece, but man was it in there. Did not want to come put. Thought I was gonna break my new press.

Need to clean the knuckles up tomorrow with some brillo pads and wire brush.

20240813_154213.jpg

Got some new Timken bearing to install too. Still waiting on the cross axis bearings.

I'm still impressed by thay evaporust stuff.

Here's the one hub after sitting in the stuff overnight. Got the other hub soaking now

20240814_170318.jpg

I also got the new driveshaft delivered. Very nice looking. I plan on ordering a new seal for the trans tailshaft and some new bolts to attach the shaft to the pinion flange.

Back