• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Broken motor. Ugh.

Actually I was being a smart a$$.

Try to hone it, can't hurt. I was able to clean my lifter bore up after the last drivetrain debacle.

Mark you were right, the scrathes did polish right out. Well, honed out without an over bore. Awesome! New pistons are being hung right now and the shortblock is coming back together. I have started collecting parts for a 347 (185 AFR heads etc.) but I don't have time to plan the build right so the 289 is going back in. Need it working to finish up some new parts I've been working on.

IMG_2325.JPG

What is amazing is the crank is still the same spec as the last rebuild 20 years ago and the cylinders are within taper specs. I've beaten this thing to death for years!

Last edited by a moderator:
"silverblueBP" said:
You also have your logo back there!

Oh yeah, that too! If I took the shot the other way you would of seen this:

IMG_2326.JPG

In for some product development...

Hone, bearings, pistons and rings and the old girl is nearly ready for service.

IMG_2335.JPG

You sure don't waste any time rebuilding a motor!

Do you run a mechanical oil pressure gauge along with the electrical gauge?

"silverblueBP" said:
You sure don't waste any time rebuilding a motor!

Do you run a mechanical oil pressure gauge along with the electrical gauge?

The driving window in MI is pretty short! I have some stuff in the works I need a track whore car for testing.

I just run the electric gauge. Anything wrong with them? I've never had an issue with it.

I've never trusted the electric gauges, I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge and an oil temp gauge.

"silverblueBP" said:
I've never trusted the electric gauges, I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge and an oil temp gauge.

Same here.....no horror story to tell, but I'm not into taking chances. I've blown enough motors already. :hide

The old mill is nearly ready to fire. Should have it back in the car the next few days. Fingers crossed I didn't miss anything!

IMG_2340.JPG

So hows it run? Shaun, what timing pointer are you using? It looks like its mounted with only one bolt. Thats just what i needed.

Back